Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do You Deal With Shame

Often, shame is the result of other people's opinion and it can be a very difficult, all powerful task master. It is perhaps worse when it permeates our feelings about ourselves and we can become an even more forceful bully to ourselves within. It permits no freedom and it is relentless and it loves to see us cower and shrink into ourselves.

For myself, I have learned to simply permit it to be and focus on the really important things in life. But I am wondering how other people deal with it, and what role takes in their lives.

Comments

• How about healing meditation:
    •Aware of the feeling of shame in me, I breathe in.
    •Smiling to the feeling of shame in me, I breathe out.

http://www.manypathsinterfaithministries.net/reclaiming-our-souls/meditation-for-healing-ouremotions/

I wonder if this works?
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    Time passes away so our thoughts as well.
  • Yes, shame is just passing through the mind. It is painful, but you can just let it pass through.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    There was a Zen teacher in the old days (sorry I can't cite it) who observed more or less, "In order to do this practice, you must feel shame." How could anyone not feel a bit of shame at not knowing what they already know?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    For me, practicing with Shame requires two approaches.

A limited time of open contemplation of the causal factors that created the shame to see if any of their links should be undone to prevent it all from happening again.
    and
    Formal meditation where shame, like any other phenomenon, is allowed to arise, live and fade of it's own accord, unleached from our conditioned impulses to fiddle around with the outcomes.
    Hamsaka
  • There are some positive things about shame. It's not entirely negative to feel shame as some people may think. It is when we decide to better ourselves because of our shame that makes it a positive thing. Without the feeling of shame, one may never even think of changing.
    Jeffreylobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree, Wanghuey. I think where I draw the line is that my self-inflicted shame is probably a good thing. It's when someone tries to shame another person that I don't like the concept.
  • It's when someone tries to shame another person that I don't like the concept.
    Shame on you.
    A certain level of maturity is required to be ashamed about our ignorance and allow others to point out our faults. What else are friends for . . .

:o

and now back to the shaming . . .
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    There are different kinds of shame, then. Normal, appropriate shame (don't poop your pants, clean the giant booger out of your nose) and then this other kind . . .

Shame about what you are, shame that diminishes your feeling of value as a person, or shame that causes you to feel unworthy of respect or compassion or love; that kind of shame is the other kind, is this what you mean @Allbuddhabound?

Any kind of shame that results in a person regarding themselves as 'less than' or unworthy needs to be rooted out and @How's post was nicely put :)

That kind of shame is ridiculous, untrue, a smirch against one's own Buddha nature, is a lie and ought to be regarded as one. That kind of shame is the kind that a person tend to believe comes from other people, like a miasma.

It's a tough thing to mature out of the deeply held (and reinforced) belief that we ARE what other people judge us to be. That others can *think* something about us and bammo, that's what we are.

It's like what YOU believe about yourself is second hand to what others believe. Oh, and as IF you really know what they believe (admit it, you are almost convinced you DO know :D ).

Thank _____, this is something to outgrow. The truth is, what other people believe about you doesn't change a single hair on your head. They can think really, really hard at you but your hair won't even ripple. It's only when you either believe them, too, or if you haven't yet given yourself PERMISSION to be the one in charge of defining who and what you are.

In the great scheme of things, this is all 'small self' stuff, with only a relative truth to it. Yet, it has it's own momentum and reality, and frankly, if your wife, husband, boss, mother, father or child thinks you are a dimwit and not worth much, it hurts. You might get divorced or fired or abused or taken advantage of. Insisting it's NOT real is a bit stupid, when you are suffering from the unkind sort of shame.

Most, if not all shame-y beliefs are so untrue as to be irrelevant, but they are buried so deep that we need outside help to eject them. Getting some kind of therapy or feedback from your teacher or trusted sangha friend is worth it because YOU are worth it. What a waste, a perfectly good human being, burdened by a heavy weight of nonsense shame :(

Gassho :)

• :)

I feel it is the emotive attachment to others sense of us and our own sense of self that causes problems/dukkha

Can we be as shameless as Diogenes? Should we be?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope
  • lobster said:

It's when someone tries to shame another person that I don't like the concept.
    Shame on you.
    A certain level of maturity is required to be ashamed about our ignorance and allow others to point out our faults. What else are friends for . . .

:o

and now back to the shaming . . .

Shaming someone is entirely different from offering constructive ideas in order to help them. Just saying....
    lobster
  • I believe the concept of shame is really quite useless. It is like guilt, but taken to a much deeper level. Feeling guilt when you have done something wrong, is useful. But feeling shame is quite a different thing. A person, such as myself, who has a good sized belly, feels shame when walking on the beach. Does it make my life any better, or does it strengthen me? Not really. It teaches me to be fearful of other's opinions of me.
  • 1 get tired of your own neurosis. totally shitty feeling of embarassment.

2 refrain or repent. "From this time on I am not going to do it. I am going to hold off on what I have been doing"

3 Take refuge. 'So in this case, forgiveness means that one has to give oneself up altogether. The criminal has to give up altogether rather than the crime being forgiven.
    The idea of taking refuge is completely surrendering. Complete surrendering is based on the notion that you have to give up the criminal rather than that the crime should be forgiven. That is the idea of taking refuge in the Buddha as the example, in the dharma as the path, and in the sangha as companionship--giving up oneself, giving up one's stronghold.

4 complete that surrendering process. A person should actually engage in supplication of preventing hope and fear. That is very important. "if hope is too hopeful may I not be too hopeful. If fear is too fearful may I not be too fearful." Transcending both hope and fear, you begin to develop a sense of confidence that you could go through the whole thing. That is the power of activity to relieve one's evil deeds.
    The above is cobbled together from Training the Mind by Trungpa Rinpoche
    AllbuddhaBound
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

((snipped)) But feeling shame is quite a different thing. A person, such as myself, who has a good sized belly, feels shame when walking on the beach. Does it make my life any better, or does it strengthen me? Not really. It teaches me to be fearful of other's opinions of me.

The shame is occurring INSIDE YOU. You can't experience other people's opinions because they are inside THEM. The connection or gate is inside you. The gatekeeper IS you. It happens in the twinkling of an eye. You dislike your own belly. You imagine others dislike it, too. The shame is self-generated.

The point of this is that it restores you to 'power', so to speak.

Shame is also just another sensation to rise, decay and cease. It's not a continuous state of experience.

I practise (the very beginning stages) of vipassana or insight meditation. What I would do with shame when it arises is NAME it. I would go to my body, and notice the physical sensations that occur along with the mental (they are actually the same thing, but for the sake of description). I feel most emotional stuff in my chest, belly or throat. It can feel like a pressure, or an ache, even pain. Then, I observe the physical sensation with close attention. It goes on a while, then it starts to decay, die down in intensity. As it fades, it's hard to stay attentive to it, but if you do, you can watch it pop out of existence. It's gone. You still have a big belly, and the shame is gone.

Shame just rises up and dies back. Is it even yours? Where does it come from? Not other people, we already know that. But where in YOU does it come from. While you're there, where are YOU, anyway? What are YOU? You get it :)

Gassho :)

lobster