Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Are Your Favorite Sutta Excerpts?

What are some of your favorite sections from the Pali Nikayas? (Or other canons, including the Mahayana sutras as well. I'm simply more familiar with the Pali versions.) What interests you about these passages?

Recently, I was struck by the direct, poignant language of the verse section of the Bhaddekarata Sutta ("An Auspicious Day"). This, IMO, is probably the most elegant encapsulation of the Buddha' exhortation to wake up to what is present. Other formulations in the canon can be rather heavy with exposition (such as in the Satipatthana Sutta, where it's easy to lose the thread). It's almost like a Dhammapada verse in its clarity and power:

Don’t chase the past
Or long for the future.
The past is left behind;
The future is not yet reached.

Right where it is, have insight
Into whatever phenomena is present;
Not faltering and not agitated,
By knowing it one develops the mind.

Ardently do what should be done today –
who knows, death may come tomorrow.
There is no bargaining with Mortality
And his great army.

Whoever dwells thus ardent,
- active day and night -
Is, says the peaceful sage,
One who has an auspicious day.
Source: translation by Gil Fronsdal, the complete sutta can be found in Thanissaro's translation here.
sovaTheswingisyellow

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    To many to mention.... far far to many. The first thing that popped up into my head is the victory cry of the Arahants.

The victory cry of the arahants

"Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world."

— SN 22.59

The pure bliss and peace and the chills down my spine that I get from that phrase.. I can only imagine... but that would be a waste of time when I should be practicing ahah.

And of course the eternal law:
    Dhp I
    PTS: Dhp 1-20
    Yamakavagga: Pairs

Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

The Simili of the Saw is another
    MN 21
    PTS: M i 122
    Kakacupama Sutta: The Simile of the Saw

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.

Dhp I
    PTS: Dhp 1-20
    Yamakavagga: Pairs

Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

I have to remember more... also I love this thread :)

EDIT: More

From the last days of the Buddha: Mahaparinibbana sutta

33. "Therefore, Ananda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge.

From the same Sutta : The words that made sure there would be no spiritual leader or pope in buddhism... well some forms..

1. Now the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "It may be, Ananda, that to some among you the thought will come: 'Ended is the word of the Master; we have a Master no longer.' But it should not, Ananda, be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma and the Discipline, that shall be your Master when I am gone.

And of course his last words:

8. And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"[58]

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
    Theswingisyellow
  • Hence, the purpose of the Holy Life does not consist in acquiring alms, honor, or fame, nor in gaining morality, concentration, or the eye of knowledge. That unshakable deliverance of the heart: that, verily, is the object of the Holy Life, that is its essence, that is its goal.
    "I am" is a vain thought; "I am not" is a vain thought; "I shall be" is a vain thought; "I shall not be" is a vain thought. Vain thoughts are a sickness, an ulcer, a thorn. But after overcoming all vain thoughts, one is called "a silent thinker." And the thinker, the Silent One, does no more arise, no more pass away, no more tremble, no more desire. For there is nothing in him that he should arise again. And as he arises no more, how should he grow old again? And as he grows no more old, how should he die again? And as he dies no more, how should he tremble? And as he trembles no more, how should he have desire?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    favorite regarding right speech. :)

The criteria for deciding what is worth saying

[1] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

— MN 58
    BhikkhuJayasara
    seeker242 said:

favorite regarding right speech. :)

The criteria for deciding what is worth saying

[1] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

— MN 58

YES thats a good one, because you'll notice even if what is to be said is factual, true, beneficial and all the positives.. there is STILL a right time to do it, not just any time.
    sova
  • Does anyone have suggestions for a good website for Sutta excerpts?

Does anyone have suggestions for a good website for Sutta excerpts?

You mean just the small sections of suttas? I dont know of one. Obviously accesstoinsight. Org is the best website on the net for sutta studies.

There is the website real Buddha Quotes from the guy who does fake buddha quotes.

http://www.realbuddhaquotes.com/
    federica
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    Renouncing violence
    for all living beings,
    harming not even a one,
    you would not wish for offspring,
    so how a companion?
    Wander alone
    like a rhinoceros.

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Jayantha said:

You mean just the small sections of suttas? I dont know of one. Obviously accesstoinsight. Org is the best website on the net for sutta studies.

There is the website real Buddha Quotes from the guy who does fake buddha quotes.

Any suttas on being judgemental and arrogant?

Or how about blind trust in authorities?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @AllbudhaBound

One I posted, the second, is about arrogance (it is vain digga digga)
    The kalama sutra is about blind trust
    edited January 2014

Jayantha said:

Any suttas on being judgemental and arrogant?

Or how about blind trust in authorities?

I'll have to look for specific ones for the judgmental and arrogance, but for the blind trust, you don't get any better then the Kalama sutta.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html

to start off the Kalamas come to the buddha because they heard he had a special reputation and could help them:

As they sat there, the Kalamas of Kesaputta said to the Blessed One, "Lord, there are some brahmans & contemplatives who come to Kesaputta. They expound & glorify their own doctrines, but as for the doctrines of others, they deprecate them, revile them, show contempt for them, & disparage them. And then other brahmans & contemplatives come to Kesaputta. They expound & glorify their own doctrines, but as for the doctrines of others, they deprecate them, revile them, show contempt for them, & disparage them. They leave us absolutely uncertain & in doubt: Which of these venerable brahmans & contemplatives are speaking the truth, and which ones are lying?"

and the next line is probably the most famously misquoted and misinterpreted sutta excerpts in modern times..

"Of course you are uncertain, Kalamas. Of course you are in doubt. When there are reasons for doubt, uncertainty is born. So in this case, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them.

"...(same as above)...........When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them."

People often paraphrase this to be about not doing what doesn't fit with your common sense or your intellect. As you can see the Buddha says not even to trust that, but only your experiential knowledge(ie wisdom). If it is beneficial , do it, if it leads to the harm of others, abandon it. Can't get much more simple then that.

Here is one about the conceits, judgment and arrogance fall in that one.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/walshe/wheel318.html

"Lord, I do not fully grasp the meaning of what Your Blessedness has expressed in brief. It would be well for me, Lord, if your Blessedness would explain in full what has been expressed in brief, that I may know its meaning."

[The Blessed One said:]

"Equal I am, or better, of less degree":
    All such idle fancies lead to strife,
    Who's unmoved by all these three conceits
    Such vain distinctions leaves unmade.[17]

If you know what this means, tell me, fairy.

"Lord, neither do I full grasp the meaning of this which Your Blessedness has expressed in brief. It would be well for me, Lord, if Your Blessedness would explain in full what has been explained in brief, that I may know its meaning."

[The Blessed One said:]

Who labels not, and holds no vain conceits,
    Has cut off craving here for name-and-form[18]
    Free from bonds and pain, with no desires,
    Vainly seeking, none will find that man,
    Neither gods nor men, on earth, above,
    Not in heaven, nor in any sphere.[19]

Vastmindsova
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Thanks @Jayantha for that quote on conceit. I'd been looking for it for the longest time. I heard Gil Fronsdal mention it in a talk, but never could find the exact wording.
    sova
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2014
    BTW, our own @Jason (at least, I think that's him?) has a wonderful blog about the suttas called A Handful of Leaves (the title of which is from one of the suttas, as well as the title of a very good anthology by Thanissaro Bhikku). I really have learned a lot from it.
    Glow said:

BTW, our own @Jason (at least, I think that's him?) has a wonderful blog about the suttas called A Handful of Leaves (the title of which is from one of the suttas, as well as the title of a very good anthology by Thanissaro Bhikku). I really have learned a lot from it.

had no idea! thanks for the link
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Is that @Jason's link ??....

I thought it was this one .....

http://leavesinthehand.blogspot.com/
    Glow
    too many blogs involving leaves and hands! people need to start using rakes :P
    GlowVastmind
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Vastmind said:

Is that @Jason's link ??....

I thought it was this one .....

http://leavesinthehand.blogspot.com/

Oh, you're right! "Leaves in the Hand" is Jason's blog. I just Googled "leaves handful buddhism blog" or somesuch and the other one came up, lol. Sorry about the confusion.
    Vastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    The Heart Sutra

Gate
    Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Boddhi Svaha

Homage to the Awakened Mind which has crossed over to the other shore, freed from suffering!

I am about to meditate on it, again @:-)

Gate
    Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Boddhi Svaha
    Gate
    Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Boddhi Svaha
    Gate
    Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Boddhi Svaha
    Gate
    Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Boddhi Svaha

cvalueVastmind
  • So you should view this fleeting world --
    A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
    A flash of lightening in a summer cloud,
    A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
    Diamond Sutra
    anatamanlobstercvaluesova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    My favourite is still the Heart Sutra. I still don't understand it though!
    cvalue
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Another of my favorites are all the ones that talk about "appropriate attention" and "inappropriate attention". :) The ability and skill in directing one's attention, onto appropriate things and off of inappropriate things at will, is one of the great benefits of doing meditation practice IMO. :)
    The Blessed One said, "Monks, the ending of the fermentations is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what? Appropriate attention & inappropriate attention. When a monk attends inappropriately, unarisen fermentations arise, and arisen fermentations increase. When a monk attends appropriately, unarisen fermentations do not arise, and arisen fermentations are abandoned. There are fermentations to be abandoned by seeing, those to be abandoned by restraining, those to be abandoned by using, those to be abandoned by tolerating, those to be abandoned by avoiding, those to be abandoned by dispelling, and those to be abandoned by developing.

"[1] And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by seeing? There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — does not discern what ideas are fit for attention or what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas fit for attention and attends [instead] to ideas unfit for attention.

"And what are the ideas unfit for attention that he attends to? Whatever ideas such that, when he attends to them, the unarisen fermentation of sensuality arises in him, and the arisen fermentation of sensuality increases; the unarisen fermentation of becoming arises in him, and arisen fermentation of becoming increases; the unarisen fermentation of ignorance arises in him, and the arisen fermentation of ignorance increases. These are the ideas unfit for attention that he attends to.

"And what are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to? Whatever ideas such that, when he attends to them, the unarisen fermentation of sensuality does not arise in him, and the arisen fermentation of sensuality is abandoned; the unarisen fermentation of becoming does not arise in him, and arisen fermentation of becoming is abandoned; the unarisen fermentation of ignorance does not arise in him, and the arisen fermentation of ignorance is abandoned. These are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to. Through his attending to ideas unfit for attention and through his not attending to ideas fit for attention, both unarisen fermentations arise in him, and arisen fermentations increase.

MN 2
    Sabbasava Sutta: All the Fermentations

"From inappropriate attention you're being chewed by your thoughts. Relinquishing what's inappropriate, contemplate appropriately. Keeping your mind on the Teacher, the Dhamma, the Sangha, your virtues, you will arrive at joy, rapture, pleasure without doubt. Then, saturated with joy, you will put an end to suffering & stress."
    SN 9.11
    Ayoniso-manasikara Sutta: Inappropriate Attention
    "Monks, I will teach you the feeding & starving of the five hindrances & of the seven factors for Awakening. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak...

Feeding the Hindrances

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen restlessness & anxiety, or for the growth & increase of restlessness & anxiety once it has arisen? There is non-stillness of awareness. To foster inappropriate attention to that: This is the food for the arising of unarisen restlessness & anxiety, or for the growth & increase of restlessness & anxiety once it has arisen.

Feeding the Factors for Awakening

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen serenity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of serenity... once it has arisen? There is physical serenity & there is mental serenity. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen serenity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of serenity... once it has arisen.

Starving the Hindrances

"And what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen restlessness & anxiety, or for the growth & increase of restlessness & anxiety once it has arisen? There is the stilling of awareness. To foster appropriate attention to that: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen restlessness & anxiety, or for the growth & increase of restlessness & anxiety once it has arisen.

Starving the Factors for Awakening

"And what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen serenity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of serenity... once it has arisen? There is bodily serenity & there is mental serenity. To foster inappropriate attention to them: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen serenity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of serenity... once it has arisen.

SN 46.51
    Ahara Sutta: Food

Vastmind
  • I know very, very little of the suttas and exact words of the Buddha (maybe in time I'll learn), but this one, among the few I do know I like this, because as a person who who rarely accepts things on blind faith or at face value (thoug not always a good way to be) it makes sense:
    "Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.
    - Kalama Sutta

I also like the parable of the poisoned arrow and the parable of the burning house.
    edited January 2014

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.
    - Kalama Sutta

Yes, the Kalama Sutta is very popular with western Buddhists, but note that the list of things not to go by includes: "....by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability.."
    People often skip over that bit. ;)

- Kalama Sutta
    Yes, the Kalama Sutta is very popular with western Buddhists, but note that the list of things not to go by includes: "....by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability.."

But but..... I thought i should follow my common sense and intellectual prowess.. :-P
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited January 2014

The theme there is a lack of evidence, i.e. this is an exhortation to not believe in things based on yet more unfounded beliefs formed by standing around and chatting. So I don't see why a westerner would skip over this.

"logical conjecture, by inference, by agreement through pondering views" - This must be referring to beliefs formed by standing around chatting *without gathering any evidence*. If this is an zen-like anti-thought, anti-intellectualism, then it is inconsistent with the rest of the sutta. It doesn't make sense that he said "You know, don't take my word for it, try it out, and if you think you understand anything or if anything appears to make any sort of sense using ordinary logic, you are just being an arrogant westerner that over intellectualizes" Or more succinctly "You know, don't take my word for it, you just gotta believe, don't think so hard about it!" This sutta didn't say that. Others did.

The bit about probability is talking about informal use of probabilities in reasoning, like pascals wager. He wasn't trying to say that you can't rely on the ratio of Heads to Tails converging on 1/2 as you flip more and more coins.
    Analogies are good for teaching, but no westerner would argue that analogies rapidly break down (life is like a box of chocolates, except there is no box, no chocolate, you can't eat it. But it is sometimes surprising)
  • I am planning on becoming a rhinoceros . . . :buck:
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html

Free from longing, finding no pleasure
    in the world's sport, love, or sensual bliss,
    abstaining from adornment,
    speaking the truth,
    wander alone
    like a rhinoceros.

Khaggavisana Sutta
    Vastmind
    edited January 2014
    Karaniya Metta Sutta ...on loving kindness....

Think: Happy, at rest,
    may all beings be happy at heart.
    Whatever beings there may be,
    weak or strong, without exception,
    long, large,
    middling, short,
    subtle, blatant,
    seen & unseen,
    near & far,
    born & seeking birth:
    May all beings be happy at heart.

Let no one deceive another
    or despise anyone anywhere,
    or through anger or irritation
    wish for another to suffer.

--- http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.than.html

in sign language....

:) ^^^ Translated into Dutch then Signed...
    Theswingisyellow
    Mr. Rhino....Strive on with diligence and a pep in your step... :)

edited January 2014
    Vastmind said:

Karaniya Metta Sutta ...on loving k u indness....

Think: Happy, at rest,
    may all beings be happy at heart.
    Whatever beings there may be,
    weak or strong, without exception,
    long, large,
    middling, short,
    subtle, blatant,
    seen & unseen,
    near & far,
    born & seeking birth:
    May all beings be happy at heart.

Let no one deceive another
    or despise anyone anywhere,
    or through anger or irritation
    wish for another to suffer.

--- http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.than.html

in sign language....

:) ^^^ Translated into Dutch then Signed...

Its not finished!

"As a mother would risk her own life, to protect her only child, even so towards all beings be.

Whether standing, walking, or sitting, lying down or whenever awake, one should develope this mindfulness.

One should develop for all the world, a heart of boundless loving friendliness, above, below, and all around, unobstructed without hatred or resentment.

Not falling into erroneous views, but virtous and endowed with vision, removing desire for sensual pleasures, one comes never again to birth in the womb.

By the power of this truth may we always have well being. "

Lol sorry about my little sutta ocd there. I had this memorized from saying it every day at the monastery when im there. Great choice with the Karinaya Metta Sutta. Do you know the backstory of why the buddha taught that?
    lobster
    edited January 2014
    lolol...no need for sorry...I was trying to do an excerpt...haha..
    Sutta away, my friend..... :D

The backstory ???
    Do tell.........
    Vastmind said:

lolol...no need for sorry...I was trying to do an excerpt...haha..
    Sutta away, my friend..... :D

The backstory ???
    Do tell.........

This is one version of the story. Ive seen it told a little differently before but the jist is the same.

http://nalanda.org.my/e-library/mettasutta/index.php

Metta Sutta

Background Story

On one occasion, some five hundred bhikkhus (monks), after obtaining an object of meditation from the Buddha went into the Himalayan forest to practise meditation.

Initially, the devas residing in the trees tolerated their presence, but as they learnt that the bhikkhus would not leave so soon, the devas made fearful sights and sounds at night to frighten the bhikkhus so that they would go away. The bhikkhus were so disturbed that they got sick and could not make any progress in their meditation. They decided to leave the place and reported their experiences to the Buddha.

After surveying, the Buddha found no other suitable location for them to practise meditation than that very forest. Therefore the Buddha advised them to return to the forest and taught them the Metta Sutta as an object of meditation, as well as for their protection. Those bhikkhus returned to the forest, chanted the Metta Sutta, and practised Metta meditation. By doing so, the devas then had goodwill towards the bhikkhus and looked after them. At the end of the Rains Retreat (Vassa), all the five hundred bhikkhus attained Arahantship.
    Vastmind
    edited January 2014
    :) Thaaaaaaat's right! Take that with ya! hahaha
    Kill 'em with kindness!

My favorite sum up for this one is "I don't need you to love
    me in order for me to love you" :)

BTW...Thanks for that link...I'll be using it....
  • Vastmind said:

Mr. Rhino....Strive on with diligence and a pep in your step... :)

If people asked us,
    Can you speak rhinoceros?
    We’d say, "of courseros!
    Can’t you?"
    (do little sutra)

:thumbsup:
    edited January 2014

The theme there is a lack of evidence, i.e. this is an exhortation to not believe in things based on yet more unfounded beliefs formed by standing around and chatting. So I don't see why a westerner would skip over this.

I agree, but some westerners seem to interpret this as a sort of skeptics charter, which I think is missing the point. Actually if read the whole sutta it's main purpose is an encouragement to develop Right Intention and not get too caught up in views and opinions.
    lobster