Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Teaching children meditation

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
This is guided by Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu .......

A video on meditation for children. It's a mixture of meditating on
ideas (like cats, dogs, parents, etc.) and meditating on reality
(sitting, breath, etc.). 12 minutes....

May all beings be happy :)

anataman

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Here is part 2 and links to the rest of the series come up at the end
    to the right .....

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Thanks @Vastmind.

My three year old daughter occasionally sits in the crossed legged meditation pose - it is very cute (as is pretty much everything she does)!

When she's a few years older I'll start introducing her to meditations just like those you have kindly embedded above.
    anatamanlobsterVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Yay! Thanks!

Another good one someone talked about at our retreat last weekend was a butterfly meditation, where you have the child envision a butterfly on the end of their nose, and when they exhale, they send the butterfly out to bring good things to the world and then bring it back when they inhale.

Kids are really open to that stuff. Our youngest is in preschool (he is 5) and they already teach deep breathing and self-awareness to deal with emotions and conflict and over excitability. It only helps :) Sometimes he'll even tell me to remember to breathe better if I get frustrated, lol.
    VastmindBunks
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Vastmind said:

This is guided by Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu .......

A video on meditation for children. It's a mixture of meditating on
    ideas (like cats, dogs, parents, etc.) and meditating on reality
    (sitting, breath, etc.). 12 minutes....

May all beings be happy :)

Sorry to be a damp squid, I enjoyed it but I was not happy about teaching my children about lesson 2 01:05 - 01:20 - it brings an expectation of a supernatural quality to meditation... No problem with the rest - just a big problem with the 15 seconds of becoming a superman!

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    My daughter used to join me for meditation at various times from 7 -12 yrs of age. Never was sure if it was for her or for me. I was pretty careful to not push it at her.
    I think teen years and the same hedonistic streak her dad has, distracted her for 10 years but she's joining my partner on a 11 day Goenka retreat this summer.
    anatamanVastmindBunks
  • just a big problem with the 15 seconds of becoming a superman!
    Sounds like the sort of meditation those of us born yesterday could try . . . think what we can do when we are three and cute . . .

I am a cat. I am a dog. I am an adult. I am a kid. I am superman.

Maybe when I am five, I will be ready for everything . . . and Nothing . . . ;)
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I usually do part 1 and 2 with mine...the colors take them over the
    edge...hahaha. Then a couple days later, we'll do 3 and 4.
    My daughter says "My head feels so light and empty
    and when I was thinking about yellow Mommy, the other stuff was emptying
    out "... :)

I love the butterfly idea! :)