Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Prayers

Are our prayers and mantras really answered? I always notice some changes, but I can't tell if it's because I'm expecting a change or because something spiritual is taking place. Or both.

Comments

• It's mysterious. In my sangha yes we do believe prayers go across to us and are felt.

That doesn't mean God is a cosmic baby sitter who is answering all our prayers.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    They are, I think, ways of extending our energy to ourselves and other people. There is (IMO) no one "out there" who hears and responds to them.
    BunksJainarayanEvenThird
  • From one perspective loving prayers are real whereas everything conditioned is illusion.

My teachers teacher said to her (before he passes) that he wants everyone to know that love is real and not illusory. This love being unconditional awakened heart.
    lobstercvalue
  • May all be well. Peace be with you. Have a nice day.

OM YA HA HUM

:wave:
    Vastmindcvalue
  • The content and motivation of the prayer is crucial. Does it enlarge or constrict the heart? Either way both definitely bear their own fruit.
    TheswingisyellowcvalueanatamanEvenThird
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I always pray for the strength to carry on.
    Sometimes, when I feel I've had just about all I can take, I find it helps me take one more step - a step I thought impossible.
    That's all it takes.
    One step at a time.
    Bunkscvalueanataman
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Prayers folks use to give themselves a little strength in a situation may well have an effect as they mentally bolster themselves for a task or internal conflict they struggle with. So in this way they could well be said to work or "be answered".
    That said, prayers never healed an amputee.
    anatamanEthan_McCuneEvenThird
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Are our prayers and mantras really answered? I always notice some changes, but I can't tell if it's because I'm expecting a change or because something spiritual is taking place. Or both.

Drop expectations and just be.
    Ethan_McCune