Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

using darkness to define the light

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
In a conversational tone -- no biggie, just talking a little -- did it ever cross your mind how much implicit and explicit praise is heaped on what is referred to as "enlightenment?" The question is a personal one -- for you, not for some poorly defined but sweeping collection of people ... "Buddhists" perhaps or "humanity." The question is for you ... conversationally.

Implicitly or explicitly, "enlightenment" seems to be put forward as something desirable, sometimes very, very desirable ... desirable enough so that all sorts of disciplined activity might be applied. "Enlightenment" is worth the price of admission. It is bright and beckoning and praise-worthy and yummy ... seriously yummy.

And yet, as a personal matter, how yummy and praise-worthy might "enlightenment" be if it did not stand in some stark contrast to the ignorance and delusion that is often seen as a precursor to that "enlightenment." Implicitly and explicitly ignorance and delusion get the slimy end of the stick and "enlightenment" stands out as a time or realm in which day-to-day fuck-ups would no longer be so wounding and harsh. One thing seems to be for sure: No one goes around extolling and longing for a world of ignorance and delusion. Few if any praise the hell they seek to escape ... heaven, by whatever definition, gets the kudos.

But -- as a personal matter and just by way of conversation -- how bright could heaven possibly be if it stopped depending like a babe at its mother's breast on the dark and disastrous shadows? Heaven relying on hell -- does this compute; hell relying on heaven -- does this compute? If enlightenment were nothing more than a get-out-of-jail-free card, how could that possibly do away with the jail itself? Is implicit or explicit praise -- or damnation -- really enough?

As I say, this is all by way of easy conversation, no biggie. It is just something to consider, I think, in a very personal, very responsible, very courageous and no-more-fucking-around quest.

Just a little noodling.
Hamsaka

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well, it's easier to compare light to dark, than it is to compare light to light... there always as to BE a comparison.
    Otherwise what choice would we have?
  • Samvega comes before pasada. :-)

Enlightenment is the end of suffering. The negativity is inherent to the definition (at least in the terms the Buddha used.)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    For me this shows another way to see the middle way. Too much dark and we cannot see but too much light blinds.
    anataman
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    "using darkness to define the light"

I feel like I'm watching Spielberg's "Poltergeist".
  • How about using the terms divine darkness or divine ignorance instead for describing illumination/enlightenment?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @genkaku said
    In a conversational tone -- no biggie, just talking a little -- did it ever cross your mind how much implicit and explicit praise is heaped on what is referred to as "enlightenment?"
    Implicitly or explicitly, "enlightenment" seems to be put forward as something desirable, sometimes very, very desirable ... desirable enough so that all sorts of disciplined activity might be applied. "Enlightenment" is worth the price of admission. It is bright and beckoning and praise-worthy and yummy ... seriously yummy.
    This is why I prefer to do away with the word 'enlightenment', although I do find myself slipping into the habit of using it, and use the word 'awakened' as your either awake or your asleep. It's easy to be asleep, and when you are awake, it's just as easy to be awake. It's remaining awake all the time that is difficult...
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Personally I might use the word "enlightenment" as a reference word or to point to one end of the selfless scale compared with it's opposite self serving end, but beyond that...nothing.
    I am a bit of a wooze when it comes to suffering un necessarily and consider the avarice of enlightenment to be suffering. The same is true for me of "Nirvana" or Kensho.

I have more heart for "Awakening" because as a verb it represents a journey rather than a destination and has less taint of judgement or attachment.
    anatamanlobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I agree with Thanissaro Bikkhu that the generic WE often fail to ask the right questions, which can't possibly give proper direction no matter how 'correct' the answers are. I see was TB means, anyway, can't really toot the horn of great understanding yet.

Your question@genkaku might be one of those proper direction/clarification questions IMO :) ?

I too have more rising up to meet the promise of Awakening than Enlightenment. In my brain, if I pursue deeper and deeper, they end up meaning different things anyway. I don't want to be alone or singled out somehow from others with my Enlightened state of being. Awakening seems so much more organic, and it is something everyone does every single day. Awakening encourages depthlessness or infinity of Awakening, in my personal grasp. I know this isn't a thread about Awakening versus Enlightenment, so anyway . . .

Are we incorrectly conceptualizing Awakening/Enlightenment as a polar opposite to the dark despair of suffering, kind of like making a Christian heaven and hell out of them?

One of the first upside-the-head intuitions about Buddhism happened when I read something I can't remember about the Ten Oxherding Pictures. The tenth picture:

columbia.edu/cu/weai/exeas/resources/oxherding.html#picture10
    Finally, the tenth picture shows the enlightened oxherd entering the town marketplace, doing all of the ordinary things that everyone else does. But because of his deep awareness everything he does is quite extraordinary. He does not retreat from the world, but shares his enlightened existence with everyone around him. Not only does he lead fishmongers and innkeepers in the way of the Buddha but, because of his creative energy and the radiance of his life, even withered trees bloom.
    The intuitive 'hit' that walloped me upside the head was that Awakening/Enlightenment wasn't necessarily on one end of a continuum with pointless suffering and black despair on the other. Awakening was walking back into the marketplace with open hands. It didn't make sense (in my mind) anymore that Awakening was the opposite of suffering.

Clearly the darkness of black despair and the clear light of Awakening/Enlightenment illustrate each other. But how does that happen? Oi dunno. Your question is good for exploring questions, and then generating better questions than ever perhaps?
  • Are we incorrectly conceptualizing Awakening/Enlightenment as a polar opposite to the dark despair of suffering, kind of like making a Christian heaven and hell out of them?
    Could be The Truth, Awakening, cessation of suffering etc. is a state of flux without a polarity or moves between them . . .
    Great yin, becomes the beginning of yang at its height.
    I knew my new year resolution to become unenlightened would not work for too long . . .

and now back into the light . . .

:wave:
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Is there this without that?
    Can there even be this without that?
    I don't think so.
    Or maybe I do.
    It's only a thought.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Are we incorrectly conceptualizing Awakening/Enlightenment as a polar opposite to the dark despair of suffering, kind of like making a Christian heaven and hell out of them?
    Could be The Truth, Awakening, cessation of suffering etc. is a state of flux without a polarity or moves between them . . .
    Great yin, becomes the beginning of yang at its height.
    I knew my new year resolution to become unenlightened would not work for too long . .

and now back into the light . . .

:wave:

Tonight

Conceptualizing awakening/enlightenment is a dream about not dreaming.
    and
    Polarities verses "states of flux", are just more stories told to deny truth's chaos.

Time to stop using my zafu for a pillow
    lobster