Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Swastika Tattoo.

2»

Comments

• EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    For a less typical incorporation of a swastika(if you really want to get a tattoo of one at some point) consider incorporating it into a design/pattern. Compared to a free standing swastika, a pattern is more subtle. I plan to do something like that on myself, as well as get the wheel too. IMO If you have a studio or artist near you who hand-pokes I highly recommend this.. especially if the tattoo in question has significance to you rather than just aesthetic value.
    anatamanInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @anataman, @dhammachick. don't escalate. OK?

One other 'symbol' as it were that has been adopted by nationalist groups and fronted as an image of purity and anti 'social-pollution' (their term not mine) is the lederhosen and the Dirndl.
    I used to have a Dirndl when I was younger. it was so beautiful. It made me feel very elegant and special, because it was so unique.
    I made enquiries about buying one from a German friend of mine, whereupon she told me that now, no ordinary German - or Austrian - dares to wear one, because of this association...:(
    anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Don't worry @Federica I'm practicing restraint.

The Dimdl looks cute!

Just another example of where the original meaning or delight of imagery and symbolism can be corrupted to serve ones view.

I don't think I would go for the lederhosen myself even if it was socially unpolluted - it's just not me. However, I quite like getting into my cycling gear and going for a long bike ride in the country, it is very comfortable and light. It's a pity that the anti-gay lobby have tainted it with their view of men wearing Lycra.

Mettha
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Can you blame them....? I mean, honestly? They leave nothing to the imagination... all I know is that, if I'm driving behind a load of male cyclists, and i get alongside them, I am so tempted to slap the rear one on the ass.... or the ass one on the rear.... whatever.....
    anataman
  • vinlyn said:

Seph said:

I think it's important to make a distinction. There's whether discrimination is right or wrong, and then there's the fact that it exists and is alive and well in our world.

From what I can piece together for your post, not only does is sound like you practice a form of discrimination, but you also have found a way to justify it as well.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. It exists. People do it. But I am calling it for what it is. Judging somebody because of their appearance is discrimination. Not too far away from profiling.

I'm not sure about the laws where you come from, but I know in Canada, if you could prove you weren't hired because of a visible tattoo, it's illegal. (Granted, it'd be hard to prove. But I guess that's the out, isn't it).

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Actually, if you go back to my previous post, I told you that I thought some tattoos were beautiful and I admire them. Others I think are ugly and repulsive.

So, if you were hiring a teacher to work with children, your top choice would be a person with gang tattoos and/or swastika tattoos?

...gang tattoos... swastika tattoos...?

Not all people tattooed are gang members. (Somebody wearing a swastika tattoo I would definitely question). Not all Muslims are terrorists
    Not are tattooed people are carnies. Not all tattooed people are sailors.

Would I hire a gang member or neo-nazi to teach my children? No.
    Would I hire someone with tattoos to teach my children. Difficult question. It really doesn't factor into my decision making process.
  • lobster said:

So, if you were hiring a teacher to work with children, your top choice would be a person with gang tattoos and/or swastika tattoos?
    One day it might be.

Education is about going beyond our preconceptions, sensibilities and negative associations. One day 'my little pony' will be seen as the evil suppressor of young girls reality it really is.

What is that Mr Cushion? Can you play with Barbie? Ask your teacher, that faceless bum.

. . . and now back to the claimants . . .

My Little Pony, pre-4th generation. (MLP 4th generation has awesome values - male and female alike). Just clarifying.
    I'd put Barbie up there in that evil category too.
  • I was thinking about getting a Swastika tattoo on my chest (and possibly my hands and feet) like the Buddha. I have a few problems, though. 1. Would people mistake it for the Nazi symbol? 2. Could I get hired if I had Swastikas on my hands where people could see it? 3. Would getting tattoos demonstrate attachment to my own body? Thank you.

A mind-numbingly moronic thing to do. You will probably get beaten up for it. I would never hire someone with swastika tattoos on their hands, regardless of which way they were turned. Why would you get a symbol so easily confused with a murderous flag?

And I haven't seen it asked, but why do you wear a Communist symbol on your hat with the red star? Another despicable symbol of a monstrous regime that murdered millions, including some of my own distant relatives.

Do you have an affinity for symbols of evil?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Seph said:

Not all people tattooed are gang members. (Somebody wearing a swastika tattoo I would definitely question). Not all Muslims are terrorists
    Not are tattooed people are carnies. Not all tattooed people are sailors.

Would I hire a gang member or neo-nazi to teach my children? No.
    Would I hire someone with tattoos to teach my children. Difficult question. It really doesn't factor into my decision making process.

Oh, so in some circumstances you would make pre-judicial judgements, but not all circumstances.

And no, it doesn't factor into your decision making process, because you were never given the responsibility of hiring teachers. Maybe it goes back to walking a mile in someone else's shoes.
    edited February 2014

I was thinking about getting a Swastika tattoo on my chest (and possibly my hands and feet) like the Buddha. I have a few problems, though. 1. Would people mistake it for the Nazi symbol? 2. Could I get hired if I had Swastikas on my hands where people could see it? 3. Would getting tattoos demonstrate attachment to my own body? Thank you.

A mind-numbingly moronic thing to do. You will probably get beaten up for it. I would never hire someone with swastika tattoos on their hands, regardless of which way they were turned. Why would you get a symbol so easily confused with a murderous flag?

And I haven't seen it asked, but why do you wear a Communist symbol on your hat with the red star? Another despicable symbol of a monstrous regime that murdered millions, including some of my own distant relatives.

Kshitigarbha welcomes you to come sit with us, he is glad to have a voice at last! So I welcome you too. How are you dealing with everything? Need any guidance?

• anataman said:

I was thinking about getting a Swastika tattoo on my chest (and possibly my hands and feet) like the Buddha. I have a few problems, though. 1. Would people mistake it for the Nazi symbol? 2. Could I get hired if I had Swastikas on my hands where people could see it? 3. Would getting tattoos demonstrate attachment to my own body? Thank you.

Kshitigarbha welcomes you to come sit with us, he is glad to have a voice at last! So I welcome you too. How are you dealing with everything? Need any guidance?

The profundity of your statement has eluded me. Care to try fewer syllables?
  • I was thinking about getting a Swastika tattoo on my chest (and possibly my hands and feet) like the Buddha.

Forgive me but where does it say that Buddha had any tattoos let alone anything specific i.e. relating to a swastka?
    Sorry @Frozen_Paratrooper, it was a mistake to expect you to have read all the other posts here in any detail, and expect you to refer to that, before responding to me.

I apologise, as I am currently dealing with my own reactions to previous threads on this forum in a way that helps me deal with my personal suffering. I have and am still dealing with the consequences of my actions and have looked towards mahayana buddhism and found, for want of better words, a 'saviour', in the form of a boddhisattva called Kshitigarba.

I note how I got to the place I find myself in and am beginning to recognise in others the same views and actions that produced this result, and am merely being polite in inviting you to join me in moving away from wrongly held views, speech, thought and action.

In fact I can recollect my reaction to some of your previous posts and those reactions have put me in the space I find myself. That is not your fault it is mine. Without going into any detail, I disagreed unskillfully with your view on guns and violence, and your views. But I have put that behind me and would rather make you welcome than alienate you, in the sound knowledge of Kshitigarba.

If all the above is unbearable then I offer you one special and sacred syllable - it is OM -A-U-M-
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @Seph in the US, it is absolutely not illegal to not hire someone for how they look. If you don't like that they have a bone in their nose, plugs in their ear lobes, tattoos on their arms or heck if you don't like what they wore to the interview, it is legal. That doesn't necessarily make it right, but that is how the law works. Actually in some states in the US it is still legal to discriminate on the basis of sexuality. If someone is openly gay or transgender, they can legally be denied employment. It is not always a protected class.

The federal government does not even protect from discrimination on a basis of sexual orientation. Only Race, sex, pregnancy status, religion, national origin, disability, age, military service, bankruptcy/debts, genetic information and citizenship status (for people like those who fall under asylum). Every state then sets their own. How you look/your appearance beyond race and gender is not protected in the US.
    anataman

@Frozen_Paratrooper, This is ignorant, hostile and antagonistic, and frankly, until you do a little more research, not worthy of further comment.
    if you can't contribute more constructively and positively, I suggest you refrain from doing so.

anataman said:

The profundity of your statement has eluded me. Care to try fewer syllables?
    You're disturbing the peace. Sit down, and shut up.

Better?
  • Swastikas having been causing bad feelings for many decades. The OP said long ago that he would use a wheel instead. Why not close this thread?
  • karasti said:

@Seph in the US, it is absolutely not illegal to not hire someone for how they look. If you don't like that they have a bone in their nose, plugs in their ear lobes, tattoos on their arms or heck if you don't like what they wore to the interview, it is legal. That doesn't necessarily make it right, but that is how the law works. Actually in some states in the US it is still legal to discriminate on the basis of sexuality. If someone is openly gay or transgender, they can legally be denied employment. It is not always a protected class.

The federal government does not even protect from discrimination on a basis of sexual orientation. Only Race, sex, pregnancy status, religion, national origin, disability, age, military service, bankruptcy/debts, genetic information and citizenship status (for people like those who fall under asylum). Every state then sets their own. How you look/your appearance beyond race and gender is not protected in the US.

I knew that. I'm sorry to hear it.
    Sad but true.
    :(
  • If I have a heavy rock to lift I hire someone whom appears strong. I don't give the candidates a strength test just look them over. Same with the many business where success equals good appearance. My front door at the club needs a big guy to discourage drunks from getting uppity. My ballet line looks best with matching body types. My band mates need to be young and fit for record and ticket sales. and touring. It is not all about whom plays best. My receptionist deals with only the elderly , I'll find someone matronly....
    If I have gloves to sell I don't hire the guy with missing fingers... Anyone in a position to hire someone makes these judgements as a matter of course.
    In the USA I am happy we can discriminate in this manner without having to explain ourselves. In a perfect world there would be ugly strippers and 95 pound weaklings as bouncers in clubs I suppose. Models,in magazines would look,just like me.
    Look. Tell me where this sort of thing does not happen , where appearance is ignored, and I'll ask to see your Hooter Girls.
    That will be a good test of of your blind society. Your society which does not discriminate because of looks/ appearance.

vinlyn
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

One could say the same about the stars and stripes.
    howDavid
This discussion has been closed.