Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is alcohol really harmful ?

13»

Comments

• Actually its not even as specific as that. The precept says to ' undertake a rule of training to refrain from that which causes heedlessness...' alcohol is nowhere mentioned.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, that's what it's translated into English as.

But, the key -- to me -- is the phrase "that which causes heedlessness".

Some like to say, "Well I won't get drunk (heedless) from just a few". And that may be true.

Of course, take the same philosophy. Not everyone who has sex with a person with AIDS will contract HIV. So would they risk that?

People who want to drink are going to make all kinds of justifications about it. But in the end, they will drink...if they want to. (Which by the way, is fine with me...just do it...don't play with words to justify it).
  • lobster said:

I will do medicine Buddha practice for you.

Typically done over ordinary water to transform it. The mind boggles as to what would happen if said "oṃ bhaiṣajye bhaiṣajye mahābhaiṣajya-samudgate svāhā" 108 times over a glass of red wine.
    The wine would miraculously be room temperature?
  • vinlyn said:

Well, that's what it's translated into English as.

But, the key -- to me -- is the phrase "that which causes heedlessness".

Some like to say, "Well I won't get drunk (heedless) from just a few". And that may be true.

Of course, take the same philosophy. Not everyone who has sex with a person with AIDS will contract HIV. So would they risk that?

People who want to drink are going to make all kinds of justifications about it. But in the end, they will drink...if they want to. (Which by the way, is fine with me...just do it...don't play with words to justify it).

Justify to whom ?
    If I have a glass of wine this evening I wont feel the need to justify it to anyone.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Justify it to themselves.

I don't have the sense you are trying to play with words to justify it. So that's fine with me...not that it matters.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2014
    What's going on @Citta?