Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your favorite ways to feel presence and being

I like to do many different things. Id appreciate any suggestions that you may have for me.

The main component for me is feeling a moment were you are not attached to your body. Like when I get drawn into the viewing of olympic figure skating performances, for a moment I am able to project myself onto them and I experience presence.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Are you are talking about having a body obsession that is forgotten when you are distracted by other stimuli......
    Because presence for me is most noticeable when all my sense gates are unhindered by my relationship to stimuli.
    anatamanDavid
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Hm, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. I actually find for me that the moments I am away from my body, are the least mindful moments. I might be in my head, or I might be in an external stimuli, but either way my mind and my body are now synced and I find that distressing when it happens. It is more rare than it used to be, thankfully. For example, I'd be driving and be so enamoured in the sunset, that I'd drive miles and forget I had done so because my body was on autopilot and my mind was somewhere else. No good, not for me anyhow. Having my mind in my body and aware together of what is happening is more what presence or being means to me. Not being outside of body.
    taiyakianatamanDavid
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    karasti said:

Hm, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. I actually find for me that the moments I am away from my body, are the least mindful moments. I might be in my head, or I might be in an external stimuli, but either way my mind and my body are now synced and I find that distressing when it happens. It is more rare than it used to be, thankfully. For example, I'd be driving and be so enamoured in the sunset, that I'd drive miles and forget I had done so because my body was on autopilot and my mind was somewhere else. No good, not for me anyhow. Having my mind in my body and aware together of what is happening is more what presence or being means to me. Not being outside of body.

I know exactly what you mean @karasti, as I've been daydreaming along with my thoughts quite a lot as you will have noticed from my posts if anyone can be bothered to read them, drivel, a lot of it as @chaz pointed out to me :wave: , however, I have begun to increase the duration and number of mindful episodes. What is clarifying is the recognition of 'me' being in those sense stimuli, and not being mindful and mindfulness of my ignorance. It's fair to attribute this to the fact that my meditation practice is improving, at a snails pace, but what is time really...

But enough of me projecting my daydreams on you - back to the OP, perhaps before you 'do' anything you should consider, the goal is to be mindful of what 'I' am doing (no not me you fool), then do it, mindfully. Then look at what you are projecting. Just a thought - stop daydreaming anataman; there said it before anyone else did, now thats mindfulness in action, or is it meditation in action.................... STOP DAYDREAMING!

Mettha
  • I like to do many different things. Id appreciate any suggestions that you may have for me.

The main component for me is feeling a moment were you are not attached to your body. Like when I get drawn into the viewing of olympic figure skating performances, for a moment I am able to project myself onto them and I experience presence.

If you are absorbed into a film and forget yourself in the character or listen to music and lose yourself in the music or your example watching sport and being lost in the experience or being absorbed in deity practice, what is this?
    Dream within a dream or presence and being?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Your favorite ways to feel presence and being
    Breathing in and out meditation and then eventually every way is a way to "feel presence and being". Walking down the street, eating breakfast, washing the car, doing laundry, etc, etc.
    lobsterkarastipegembara
  • People do sports like rock climbing, or snowboarding or any of countless other activities that require focus and concentration and leave no room for daydreaming. Isn't that what Japanese tea rituals and flower arranging are about?
    For me there are aspects of fishing and sailing that require a fairly high degree of sustained concentration.
    Motorbiking here in Asia is that way for me as well. I feel it get more dangerous as I get tired and my mind wanders.
    A Thai teenager can do it with two of her friends on board while texting.
    lobster
  • karasti said:

I think the OP means when the body is pacified and just drops away. Is that right @heyimacrab?
  • I like to do many different things. Id appreciate any suggestions that you may have for me.
    Do only one thing at a time. Rake leaves. Clean house. Wash dishes. Nothing else, no electronics or conversation, focus just on the task at hand. No multitasking.
    When twentieth century Zen master Shunryu Suzuki was asked what and how he taught his students about consciousness, he replied that "I just try to teach my students how to hear the birds sing". That's it! That's practice, the ability to hear only the bird's song, the growing ability to effortlessly fend off distraction gaining with each note heard.
    lobster