Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Middle Way

I quite often move to an extreme position to understand the centre. This centering in the Middle Way between egoic asceticism and strict materialism is what keeps me fairly sane. After all what passes as sane often seems pretty crazy . . .

I will never be a perfect Buddha, I leave that to statues and the lesser wheel of the favoured Hinyana model of the Mahayana extremists. I do not want to be perfectly free of suffering, that would be too dispassionate. I do not want to be unhappy, that would be miserable. I want joy to increase, sounds cool.

Balance within OUR OWN extremes is our middle way. Did I shout? Sure. Nobodies perfect . . . oh wait the dharmakaya is but that is part of an extreme view . . .

http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp2_f4.htm

Are you aiming too high, too low or for a Middle Way?

:)
anatamanpommesetoranges

Comments

• Extremes are in the eye of the beholder. So train the eye by seeing what helps and what hurts.
  • Am not aiming at all. Just living a mindful life....
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hey @Lobster. I too used to consider myself an "all or nothing" (feast or famine) kind of person.

I'm starting to find a little more balance in my life.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm extremely in the Middle.
    Bunkslobstercvalue
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    lobster said:

I will never be a perfect Buddha....

Of course you will.

Right after you develop a sense of humor!!!!!

bookwormanataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I'm oscillating about it. Just haven't quite found the fine line on which to stand yet.
  • Chaz said:

Right after you develop a sense of humor!!!!!

Mr Cushion they iz laughing at me again . . .
    Dandelion
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    @lobster
    Coming soon to a reality Buddhist web site near you, how Buddhists swing!

You used the word "want" a lot in your post, which is odd when one's arc across the axis of the middle path is largely powered by what we want or don't want.

• You used the word "want" a lot in your post, which is odd when one's arc across the axis of the middle path is largely powered by what we want or don't want.
    Yes indeed odd. Words are always wanting.
    I feel there is no problem with extremes of experience if they have a core centering. The reason I avoid certain behaviour patterns and come to terms with others or encourage beneficial behaviour across a wide spectrum is because I am conflicted by arisings from the Middle Way. Increasingly such components are associated with joy, equanimity etc.

I believe people do swing. Moment to moment. Arising to next arising and only in the stillness do we participate in being a swinger, without swinging. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Everything in Moderation.

Including Moderation.
    lobstercvalue