Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Spirit of a Martial Art

What is the purpose behind Martial Arts?
Yes, many people will give various answers suited to their person wants
and needs. I'm not talking about that.
Yes, there are benefits and 'perks' associated with taking a Martial Art.
Conditioning, cardio, physical and mental health, self-defence, and
many more. But these are bonuses, or byproducts, not the actual
purpose underlying the Martial Art itself.

I don't believe the purpose is the create fighters. I believe the
purpose is to create a better (moral) person.

In fact, I would seriously question a Martial Art whose purpose is to
create fighters.

Yes, there is definitely a combat aspect within most (all?) Martial Arts,
but I'm not convinced this is the purpose behind it.

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) has focused near exclusively on the combat aspect
of Martial Arts, I fear, at the detriment of Martial Arts' spirit,
because, ultimately, when a student is trained in MMA, what is being
created is a fighter. The spiritual aspect, the growth and betterment
of the individual and the world is forgotten or forsaken. How does a
MMA fighter stand for freedom and justice and how do they build a
more peaceful world?

Maybe the focus shouldn't be on MMA specifically.
I'd be painting with a broad brush to make this statement. Maybe I should
focus on the industry of MMA (The UFC makes for a good example). I
should include its fighters, coaches, teachers, promoters, and
especially its fans, collectively.

I'm not convinced it's a sporting event. Granted there are numerous
opinions as to what constitutes a sport. Competition, a sense of
sportsmanship, a learned and trained skill set, as well as a degree
of athleticism are how I would define a Sport. (ie, darts, chess, and
golf are not sports by this definition).

Martial Arts would definitely fall within this definition of “Sport”.
But, contrary to popular opinion, I'm not sure MMA (or the UFC) does.
Where is the sportsmanship of continuing to strike an opponent once
they are down, fallen, or even unconscious?

A great example Ronda Rousey dislocating Miesha Tate's elbow (warning: graphic video). The question should be asked, was Miesha Tate at
fault for not tapping out? Was Ronda Rousey at fault for going
through with the arm bar to its conclusion? Was her training at fault
for teaching her to continue this in the name of “sportsmanship”?

Or was the industry (fans included) at fault to creating this gladiator
type entertainment?

We need to take a far step back and ask the question: What is the
purpose and spirit behind Martial Arts?

General Choi states in his JungshinSooyang,“This
moral culture is uniquely tied in with Taekwon-Do, not only for the
eventual attainment of the highest goals in Taekwon-Do and the
promotion of power, technique, and self-confidence, but also for the
cultivation of character.”,
and as
reflected in the oaths of Taekwon-do, especially the final two,
“I
shall stand for freedom and justice”
and “I shall build a more peaceful
world”.

It forces me to ask the question, what is the Spirit of a Martial Art?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It's a difficult topic.

I'm a boxing fan. I see the inherent issues in boxing. But I still enjoy watching it.

I'm not sure there is only one reason for the various "rough" sports.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The spirit of a martial art is simply the development of a mind/body discipline.
    It is morally neutral save what ever each teacher decides to impart to the students.
    Vastmind

• Martial means warlike.

• I would say martial arts is self improvement rather than letting go of self cherishing.
    how
  • The purpose varies. It is a potential 'Way' . . .

Brutality and spirituality? Sometimes . . .
  • Self expression now keep your guard up, chin down, and eyes up.

• SephSeph Veteran
    edited February 2014
    My Master (7th Dan Black Belt in Traditional Taekwon-do, Certified Muay Thai
    Professional Trainer-Kru, Brown Belt in Brazilian Jujitsu, MMA
    Instructor, and original student under Choi Hong Hi – founder of
    Traditional TKD, and one of the few legitimate Martial Arts Masters)
    makes a sharp distinction. He will unapologeticly say before a group
    of mixed students that a MMA fighter is a Technical Brawler (his choice of words), while a Taekwon-do student is a Martial Artist

Nomenclature.
    My profession background is in the Print Media. I have been in the industry for 27 years and I see this distinction of tech. and art play out well.

Digital Print is a science. CTP plate making is a science. Offset Printing is a craft.
    The differences? A craft (and thus a craftsman) is a combination of science and art.

I think this is a good distinction to carry over into this conversation regarding the Martial Arts. Art is something that does not lend itself well to being analyzed or studied by a scientific model or mindset. An art is something else. We might even argue spiritual.

Many scholars believe that the martial arts practised in eastern Asian have been influenced by the teachings of the Buddha, with notions of enlightenment and spirituality intricately woven into the very fabric of the martial arts themselves. It would be extremely difficult to say that the Buddha teachings promoted war-like (martial) actions.

Yes, you're right, “Martial” means or relates to military or combat, or most specifically, war.

The term, or name Martial Arts” is a Western (English) one; sort of a catch-all category that “we've” created. Since we've created it, we define it by our understanding or misunderstanding of it. Although “Martial Arts” has become associated with the various fighting styles of eastern Asia it was originally used in the early 1550's in relation to combat systems on Europe, often specifically to the “Science and Art” of swordplay.
    So, ultimately, the term “Martial Arts” is a misnomer.

If we go back in history to various times and locations when and where these various “Martial Arts” find their origins, we will not find the term “Martial Art”. What we most often find is various forms of the term “-do”. It means the way of, in the same context as the Tao means the way.

These Martial Arts are not a learned and acquired skill set as we Westerners understand it, but way of life. Granted, we may very well have bastardized it and dissected it into its various components and forced it into what it might be today. But that is our
    subjective wants picking and choosing.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    how said:

The spirit of a martial art is simply the development of a mind/body discipline.
    It is morally neutral save what ever each teacher decides to impart to the students.

So, is this where one might place the Shaolin Monks? Their history of both Buddhism and Kung Fu go back centuries.
  • how said:

I'm not sure I agree with it being morally neutral.
    "In summary, we can enjoy a greater freedom of action by preserving our basic nature while making ourselves impervious to the temptation of power, money and sex....
    This moral culture is uniquely tied in with Taekwon-Do, not only for the eventual attainment of the highest goals in Taekwon-Do and the promotion of power, technique, and self-confidence, but also for the cultivation of character. Without this, the instructor would be guilty of imparting a devastating force to those who could eventually become so enamoured of their newly found techniques they might very easily become bullies or use this knowledge as a means to achieve their personal ambitions."
    Excerpt from Jungshin Sooyang ('Moral Culture')
    This is the underlying 'way' or philosophy behind - in not martial arts - then at least Traditional Taekwon-do.

(Granted, a teacher (a poor teacher) could impart poor teachings to a student).

how said:

So, is this where one might place the Shaolin Monks? Their history of both Buddhism and Kung Fu go back centuries.
    Isn't the Shaolin temple just one single temple? Albeit one popularized through cheap kung fu movies?

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    vinlyn said:

how said:

Isn't the Shaolin temple just one single temple? Albeit one popularized through cheap kung fu movies?
    I believe you are correct. I just thought the monks were perhaps a good example of mind/body discipline (martial arts), and still within Buddhist tradition.
    All I'm saying is that the Shaolin monks are of no more importance -- in my eyes -- than the monks in any other temple. The whole martial arts in Buddhism things is, in my view, way overblown...and would hardly be known of if it weren't for cheap kung fu movies.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I appreciate this thread as went through a few days where I was pondering martial arts.
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran

The First Shaolin Monk in America
    Hai Deng, the One-Finger Handstand Master
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=730
    Dr. Verhoeven chuckles at that memory too. "We were watching the movie and he went 'plbbt plbbt (blowing raspberries)' like that. And he was saying, 'You see all that?' which we went 'ooh ooh!' to jumping, spinning kicks. He said, 'That's theatrics. That's gymnastics. That's not the real thing.' And then we'd see something that we were just 'eh' and he'd say, 'That's the real stuff.' And so to us, what was apparent was not the real stuff. And what was not apparent - very soft - he saw as real. The Hollywood type of Shaolin is the most dramatic thing. And then he said, 'In fighting, why do you want to go up? What is that about? One punch should do it. This leaping around and flying in the air is just stupid. It's acrobatics and it's vulnerability. Real martial artists don't usually get into fights, and when they do, it's one punch. This stuff is for the movies.'"

Enjoy...
    DharmaMcBum
  • I don't believe the purpose is the create fighters. I believe the
    Indeed.
    The cult Buddhist martial art I studied, inclined me to learn Buddhist yoga and five element meditation. I read a lot and studied Tai Chi Chuan a little. I find it very grounding.
    Martial arts are Jihad Dharma (spiritual internal warfare). The purpose is to defeat the self cherishing as @how mentions.
    My biggest wish is never to fight or do no harm to an attacker. If I was really skilled I would not fight back.

The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world.
    ~ Lao-Tzu
    Seph
  • I practice Muay Thai kickboxing twice per week to go along with my normal workout routine. Although I've been practicing for a year and gotten pretty good, I only see it as an exercise. I think martial arts are great for your mind and body as long as your can keep your own human desires out of it: wanting to be tougher than everyone, wanting the fame and glory that go with being a good fighter, wanting to beat up that kid who bullied you.... stuff like that.
    lobsterSeph
  • SephSeph Veteran
    edited February 2014
    lobster said:

I don't believe the purpose is the create fighters. I believe the
    Indeed.
    The cult Buddhist martial art I studied, inclined me to learn Buddhist yoga and five element meditation. I read a lot and studied Tai Chi Chuan a little. I find it very grounding.
    Martial arts are Jihad Dharma (spiritual internal warfare). The purpose is to defeat the self cherishing as @how mentions.

My biggest wish is never to fight or do no harm to an attacker. If I was really skilled I would not fight back.

~ Lao-Tzu

I like that, Jihad Dharma. You should expand on that idea. Do you blog?
    lobster said:

~ Lao-Tzu

I would fight back if the situation called for it. (Again, I use the example of defending my family), but for little other purpose. I would walk away, talk it out if possible (maybe even run if needs be). Fighting would be my final and most desperate option. To me, if I find myself in this situation, I have already failed.
  • I hear the line ," I would fight only if my family is threatened," often In these discussion. I agree that violence should be a last resort.
    My family is everyone who can or cannot defend themselves. Otherwise, what is Buddhism all about? I desire to defend my family. My family is the decent everywhere.

I see only two ways: fight for everyone who is oppressed until the oppressions are quashed, or fight for no one . If one choose the latter, martial arts could be done with ribbons in ones hands like rhythmic gymnastics . Why the need to learn how to stop another person violently? Be beautiful with ribbons and perhaps a nice costume: like the dancing arts.
    I do not limit my family to blood. My family is decent , unprotected or protected people everywhere.
    I believe innocence should be protected from harm. In this case, should I need your help, please do not act like you could help( this is to you "martial artist," ) when all you are doing is dancing.

Martial Dancing Artist.... I like that.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Ohhh. Tight topic at my house.
    Boom. Boom. hahahah
    Hubby watches boxing and UFC.
    Boxing I can hardly watch...but the other?
    As my Mother would say..." Oh, hell no!" hahaha

Fear is where defense comes in...so I hate to feed any
    fear...BUT...i understand the mental exercises a good
    teacher could teach, if conditions were right.

Hubby insisted our daughter do one year of karate when she
    was young. She didn't like it.
    It's so damn disciplined, that
    you learn about something. You'll find something out. :D

They are popping up a dime a dozen here....in shopping
    malls. Martial Arts schools for kids. I don't know alot
    about them, to be honest.

But.....whew...hard to swallow., some of it.