Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantra Overload

Just went to a local SGI (Nichiren Buddhism) center. After about ten minutes the NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO mantra that they gave me on a card, seemed to change. So I ended up chanting about five different mantras over the course of an hour and a half.
Very informal. We sat on chairs, people checked their mobile phones before chanting and refreshed themselves with bottled water. Came and went as they pleased. Very loud speaker system.
Nobody seemed to mind that I was chanting 'CONAN MERINGUE YIHA' . . . even after telling them.
http://www.sgi.org/resource-center/video-and-audio/

Very varied group, no uniformed branch, mind quietening through sensory overload. Will go again sometime . . .
DharmaMcBumBuddhadragonInvincible_summer

Comments

• DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    CONAN MERINGUE.... :D
    Still, it works for them then that's cool.
  • It is to do with the speed recital of the 'chant leader', it was difficult for me to discern, so I thought they were chanting excerpts from the lotus sutra. Had another look at the lotus sutra. Very strange. Might try a study group to get some understanding of this text. They also study the persecuted leader of their group.
    http://www.sgilibrary.org/writings.php

Just have to keep my wits about me . . . could be contagious . . .
    Invincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Very varied group, no uniformed branch, mind quietening through sensory overload. Will go again sometime . . .

I had a very similar experience. What worried me a bit was chatting to them afterwards about general Buddhism, I mentioned the 4 Noble Truths and got blank stares in return.
  • Not really worried, they believe Nichiren was a reincarnation of the Buddha, other Buddhists are going to hell and in proselytizing. So they are . . . what is the polite term . . . 'unusual' . . .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/nichiren_1.shtml

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Not really worried, they believe Nichiren was a reincarnation of the Buddha, other Buddhists are going to hell and in proselytizing. So they are . . . what is the polite term . . . 'unusual' . . .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/nichiren_1.shtml

Sure, it takes all sorts. To be honest they remind me a bit of Jehovahs Witnesses. ;)
  • I have no interest in becoming part of a dharma franchise that supports Japanese politics and deadens dissent. However the people deserve an occasional visit from a fellow heretic . . .
    BuddhadragonInvincible_summersova
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Two days ago I received an extraordinarily beautiful book by Lillian Too "Chant a mantra, read a sutra," which you can get for free by placing an order on her Feng shui site.
    There are several mantras to different Buddhas and dakinis.

Problem is, if you had to pray a mala to everyone, you'd hardly have any time left to live a life.

Sorry, I strayed from the Nichiren discussion, but this book has triggered the feeling in me of "mantra overload."

Like Lobster, by the end of each mala the mantra no longer resembles what it used to be. By the way, my son loves to hear Talking Tom echoing back his "Om mani padme hum."

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Without selflessness as ones underlying goal, it is hard to imagine how a practice of mental discipline does not manifest as an attachment to itself..

Invincible_summerlobster
  • @dharmamom said:
    Sorry, I strayed from the Nichiren discussion, but this book has triggered the feeling in me of "mantra overload."

No worries. I am lucky if I chant the same song one moment to the next . . .

Like Lobster, by the end of each mala the mantra no longer resembles what it used to be. By the way, my son loves to hear Talking Tom echoing back his "Om mani padme hum."

:) Start them young eh . . .
    For some strange reason we kids were given joss sticks as indoor smelly 'fireworks'. I rather like the idea of dharma toys. Maybe a Dalai Lama doll that gives a mantra blessing every time you rub his belly . . .
    Or a 'Simple Simon Chant' - a 'repeat a mantra toy' that guarantees toddlers a good start in their future life . . .
    Consumer Dharma . . . m m m . . . could be a mantra market?

@how said:
    Without selflessness as ones underlying goal, it is hard to imagine how a practice of mental discipline does not manifest as an attachment to itself..

Oh @how, for you we need a Zen stick that has lost its attachments . . .
    For those still needing a charging chant, remember words/chants are powerless without good will as the motivation . . . as intimated . . .

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Quick story about last night and one of these chant boxes....

After getting all the cushions set up, one of the brothers walked over to the main altar and reached over to
    the box and was fooling with it. I looked at him weird, I guess...bec
    he said..."Oh, I'm trying to turn it down. It's too loud." hahaha
    What? It's kinda the place AND the time...... hahaha

That tickled the mess out of me....

BTW: Did anyone else see the magic trick in the above video? :)

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@lobster said:
    I have no interest in becoming part of a dharma franchise that supports Japanese politics and deadens dissent. However the people deserve an occasional visit from a fellow heretic . . .

If "the truth is a pathless land" (Jiddu K.) then being "heretic" is perhaps essential. My mantras are all personal to me and in english. Bob

• CittaCitta Veteran

@MeisterBob said:

You may find @MeisterBob that squaring ' Jiddu K.' and Buddhadharma is not possible.

Many have tried and in the end have had to choose..

@Citta said:

Thank you Citta. I don't know. I was making a personal observation and sharing it. I agree that the truth is a pathless land though in that that inevitably each must must find there own path. Bob

• CittaCitta Veteran

You can insist on traversing a pathless land if thats what you want @MeisterBob, no one will stop you.

But there is always the possibility of seeing that we are not unique as individuals and that the land is actually well marked before us. Dukkha is universal and its remedy is available to all.

Mundane as that might sound.

Buddhadragon
    edited May 2014

Thanks not insisting. Just sharing my view at the moment. Insisting connotes I feel you should believe as I -I do not. "Live and let live"Bob

• CittaCitta Veteran

What I said was 'you can insist on traversing ( by yourself ) " Bob.

The fact is the route has been marked clearly. No one can walk if for you..but the maps are there.

edited May 2014

The implication of pathless to me is embodied in this quote. I don't know its its really a buddha quote-not that it matters I guess. Sort of finding my own path on a wider broader path...if that makes sense.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Gautama Buddha

anatamansova
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

"So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

>
    "Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.
    >

From this link.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=k5BvU__SHeKi0QXQiYGwBA&url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHPxBP4q2VFPXcdD1ijJ1rsZ_2Nfg&sig2=-AwgRz5pmBKpJUp18XvvdA