Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

For those who have shrines and make offerings...

Do you do, say or chant anything while making the offerings? Sometimes the extent of my actions are to light the 3 candles, fill the 3 water cups, light the 3 incense sticks, ring a bell 3x, and make 3 small bows (clearly I have a thing for 3), and that's pretty much it.

Sometimes I recite these (though I recite these at other times too, even at my desk at work):

Refuge prayer;
Bodhisattva’s vow;
Prayer of Loving Kindness;
The Four Great Vows Prayer;
Bodhisattva Prayer for Humanity ("May I be a guard for those who need protection... ");
Bodhicitta prayer;
Dedication prayer.

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I don't chant anything when I open my shrine.
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited March 2014
    I think you make offerings though, right? I recall us talking about tiny glass tea light holders as offering bowls. Btw, I have Japanese style screens I can use to close off the corner of the dining room where I have the shrine. Unfortunately it produces a "out of sight, out of mind" effect. :-/
    Oh yes, I make offerings. I just don't chant anything when I do.

One thing I do for a chant when offering, is a sixfold refuge and a prostration thee times when I enter the shrine room.

I thot you were gonna bag the shrine? Too much fluff. Change your mind?
    Vastmind
  • I pared it way down. It's just a couple of buddhas, bodhisattvas and deities, the bowls, candles and incense. It may get pared down even further. I see it becoming not much bigger than the size of an end table top. I'm realizing that the images became ends in themselves, and distractions.
  • I'm realizing that the images became ends in themselves, and distractions.
    Can be.

Can also be a useful distraction/focus/reminder/inspiration.
    We can even become enshrined . . .
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @jainarayan,

Not wanting to go over old ground but out of respect for my own understanding, and to have a little fun of course, I ask a simple question - is the purpose of your shrine to become 'Enshrined'

Just a thought!

No, definitely I'm metaphorically 'getting outta here'

Mettha
    Jainarayan

I pared it way down. It's just a couple of buddhas, bodhisattvas and deities, the bowls, candles and incense. It may get pared down even further. I see it becoming not much bigger than the size of an end table top. I'm realizing that the images became ends in themselves, and distractions.

The bare minimum would be something to represent enlightened body, enlighted mind and enlightened speech; an image of the Buddha, a copy of a sutra, and an image of a stupa. Offerings should be water, incense and light - one of each is sufficient.

In fact, if you want to go totally minimalist, an image of the Buddha is all you really need. Visualize the offerings.

In fact, skip all the prayers and stuff. Sit down and practice. Dedicate the merit.

JainarayananatamanEvenThird
  • Chaz said:

The bare minimum would be something to represent enlightened body, enlighted mind and enlightened speech; an image of the Buddha, a copy of a sutra, and an image of a stupa. Offerings should be water, incense and light - one of each is sufficient.

In fact, if you want to go totally minimalist, an image of the Buddha is all you really need. Visualize the offerings.

Thanks. :) That's really nice, less is more. I may very well go that route. Having ocpd and gad I tend to collect things. Deities are one of them. :rolleyes:
    In fact, skip all the prayers and stuff. Sit down and practice. Dedicate the merit.
    True... "live the dharma". That's where I am heading, I hope.
    anatamanlobster
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I saw these aloud:
    Refuge
    Whatever practice I'm doing: often Chenrezig/Avalokiteshvara Puja
    Dedication
    -
    I silently light candles & fill water. When I light incense I say a little prayer from Thich Nhat Hanh that I memorized. It's simple language but resonated with me:

In gratitude, we offer this incense to all
    Buddhas and bodhisattvas
    throughout space and time.
    May it be as fragrant as earth herself,
    reflecting our careful efforts,
    our wholehearted awareness,
    and the fruit of understanding, slowly ripening.
    May we and all beings be companions of Buddhas and bodhisattvas,
    may we awaken from forgetfulness
    and realize our true home.
    anataman
  • I like Thich Nhat Hanh, that is a nice prayer. :)
    EvenThird
  • zsczsc Explorer
    I chant yeombul over and over, either internally or vocally.
    Jainarayan
  • That's the Korean version of nianfo? If so, I do nianfo.
  • zsczsc Explorer
    @Jainarayan Yes it is.
  • zsc said:

@Jainarayan Yes it is.

Thanks. :)
  • I would like to have a shrine in my heart.
    JainarayanZenshin
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited March 2014
    I don't have a shrine, but recently I've taken to placing a Buddha rupa in front of my mat and cushion which I bow to three times before meditating and then I chant the homage to the enlightened one, the refuges and the five lay precepts in Pali before meditating, I also bow to the rupa three times on conclusion.
  • footiam said:

I would like to have a shrine in my heart.

:o

That almost sounds trite but is not.
    As we gain confidence/refuge in the Buddha/Dharma/Sangha we in essence become enshrined in the three jewels.

The shrine is the physical and external manifestation and reminder of your heart/being/centre. Ideally it is something we carry and project from an internalisation of Natural Being (Buddha Nature).

Treat Yourself
    http://m.wikihow.com/Create-a-Simple-Buddhist-Shrine
    zsc