Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How much time/money do you spend to look nice?

2»

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    Well, you're in great shape. I'll give you that.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Tosh said:

I spent a fair bit on getting my kicked out teeth replaced, but that was to look normal rather than nice.

Other than that I'm pretty awesome!

Last weekend:
    photo Toshwatch_zpsb674443b.jpg

What was your half marathon time?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I'm not telling! :D

Okay, I will; it was 1hr 49 minutes. I really should've been around the 1hr 35 minute mark (or at least sub 1.40), but I've lost my running mojo since a full marathon I did in November and have just been cruising for the past few months.
    BhikkhuJayasaralobster
    edited March 2014
    I think my first half marathon was a bit under 4 hours LOL, although I have an excuse as I ran it barefoot. Half marathon is no joke, I think I could/should of been in much better shape to do it. I have no desire to do a full marathon at this point ahaha.
    Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2014
    Jayantha said:

I think my first half marathon was a bit under 4 hours LOL, although I have an excuse as I ran it barefoot. Half marathon is no joke, I think I could/should of been in much better shape to do it. I have no desire to do a full marathon at this point ahaha.

Barefoot! You're crazy. :D Even in Born to Run they wore something on their feet (apart from Barefoot Ted, who must also be crazy).

And running a marathon isn't difficult; the difficult part is the training for it - do the training sessions, just one at a time, and the marathon is easily achievable. I'm sure there's something Buddhist in that?

BhikkhuJayasara
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Very little. A haircut every couple of months, and I keep myself clothed. But surgery, botox, tan, seriously?? No cosmetics or perfume, either. It really doesn't take much.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    After reading this thread, if we ever have a NewBuddhist convention, I'm bringing a can of Glade.
    BhikkhuJayasaraToshjaeDharmaMcBum
    edited March 2014
    Tosh said:

Jayantha said:

Barefoot! You're crazy. :D Even in Born to Run they wore something on their feet (apart from Barefoot Ted, who must also be crazy).

And running a marathon isn't difficult; the difficult part is the training for it - do the training sessions, just one at a time, and the marathon is easily achievable. I'm sure there's something Buddhist in that?

I wasn't a runner before I was a barefoot runner, and I actually found out about born to run AFTER I started barefoot running, It was a good book but I think a lot of people got into the barefoot running "fad" not doing it properly and hurting themselves. It's really not a big deal, I started out just walking and gradually built my feet up. I dislike shoes pretty much because of having veris heels and high arches, I grind the soles out and need new shoes every 5 months, I try to go barefoot as much as I can and as a side effect I have strong healthy feet as opposed to weak cushy ones I use to have being in shoes my whole life.
    Tosh
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

Its not the stuff..its the attachment.

Hmmm. Stuff leads to attachment, that's the point.
    lobster

• Hmmm. Stuff leads to attachment, that's the point.

It can. Normally yes. It takes a great deal of detachment to be independent of poverty, or wealth, appearance, gender and even progress itself.

I personally do not have that degree of detachment. I have gender preferences, appearance preferences etc. In other words I am superficial.

Ah well, back to the Buddha grooming Middle way . . .

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Attachment is an equal opportunities quality.
    It likes the idea of poverty as much as it likes the idea of riches.
    It takes a good deal of equanimity to be free of ideas of voluntary poverty which often turn out to be romantic.
    Or a rationalisation of an actual lack of choice.

If life gives you pinot noir grapes, make champaigne.
    Then walk on.
    Lii
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2014
    Attachment is free floating. Its the way we manufacture an identity.
    Attachment is a -priori to our circumstances.
    The development of upekkha ...equanimity, is by definition not dependent on what arises in our outer lives.
    Neither does it require us to avoid what arises.
    Lii
  • jaejae Veteran

@vinlyn.... that gave me a proper laugh out loud moment..
    vinlyn said:

After reading this thread, if we ever have a NewBuddhist convention, I'm bringing a can of Glade.

Unfortunatley I'm working and it wasn't very professional ;)
  • hermitwin said:

How much time/money do you spend to look nice?

haircare, cosmetics, perfume, clothes, shoes, botox, surgery, tan...

A fortune. Every cent is.