Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It will pass

Feeling bad.
It will pass. Feeling good. It will pass.
Feeling anything? It will pass.

Not even sure where I am.
It too will pass.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2014
    vinlyn said:

Lobster, is this thread about kidney stones?

ow . . .
    never had them.
    I hope not.

It is about impermanence.

jaeanataman
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Will this gas pass? :o
    jaeNirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    This thread, too, will pass.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Or fail.
    jaeNirvana
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Apparently more painful than child birth........apparently.

• jaejae Veteran
    @Bunks ... that's fighting talk :)
    Bunks
  • jaejae Veteran
    @lobster.... thank you x
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hello,
    yes it´s right. Everything that is build out of matter will pass, also our thinking and feeling, but this is only the first ego, there is a reals second self in each of us. This self
    is surviving the physical death, and will or will never return to earth, depending on his
    Karma. You don´t believe, ok, read Dighanikayo, where the Lightbeings come from.
    anando
  • Some phrases are hijacked by New Age Dharmists. They are or sound trite. They are . . .

Unless we are ready to hear, acknowledge and digest the trite. Unless we become mindful and aware that dharma is all around . . .

I am off to talk to a tree or two . . .
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Bunks said:

Nothing's more painful than that. :p
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Bunks said:

vinlyn said:

Having had one (or was it two?), I would say a kidney stone is worse since it occurs suddenly (or at least it did in my case) and you don't know why you have such searing pain. I thought I was dying...that something had ruptured inside...and I was in such intense pain I could not get to the telephone.

At least with pregnancy, you know you're pregnant (except for a few really dumb people who seem to not know that they are pregnant, even after being so for 9 months...I never quite understood that).

NirvanaBunks
  • I've seen that happen too, even with people who've had kids before. The only explanation which makes sense to me is willful ignorance.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I've had many nurses who have had children and kidneys stones say that child birth was the easier pain to bear.
    Where I have with equanimity, excised the pressure of an infected root canal by prying out the filling above it with a needle, my kidney stones reduced me to a quivering puddle.

Bunks
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Nevermind said:
    Will this gas pass? :o

Exactly my first thought when I saw the thread title. Then again, it could have been the lentil soup.

Nirvana
  • One of the reasons I practice is not to experience or avoid suffering. That comes and hopefully goes soon enough.
    It is rather to be or one might say 'experience the passing'.

Will that pass?

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@jae said:
    Bunks ... that's fighting talk :)

Sorry to dispel a little myth, but as someone who has dealt with hundreds of people passing kidney stones, I regularly heard women bemoan it as more painful than giving birth, but I had a pretty good fix for the pain of kidney stones.

I didn't go in for obstetrics because labour just seems to go on and on and on but even that eventually passes.

edited March 2014

Impermanence - a great teaching btw, it is written loudly upon everything I see...

Mettha

Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.mend.html

"What do you think of this, O monks? Is form permanent or impermanent?"
    "Impermanent, O Lord."
    "Now, that which is impermanent, is it unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"
    "Unsatisfactory, O Lord."
    "Now, that which is impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard that as: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'?"
    "Indeed, not that, O Lord."
    "What do you think of this, O monks? Is feeling permanent or impermanent?"
    "Impermanent, O Lord."
    "Now, that which is impermanent, is it unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"
    "Now, that which is impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard that as: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'?"
    "What do you think of this, O monks? Is perception permanent or impermanent?"
    "Impermanent, O Lord."
    "Now, what is impermanent, is it unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"
    "What do you think of this, O monks? Are mental formations permanent or impermanent?"
    "Impermanent, O Lord."
    "Now, those that are impermanent, are they unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"
    "Now, those that are impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard them as: 'They are mine, this I am, this is my self'?"
    "Now what do you think of this, O monks? Is consciousness permanent or impermanent?"
    "Impermanent, O Lord."
    "Now, what is impermanent, is that unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"
    "Now, what is impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard it as: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'?"

you too may become an arahant if you understand this teaching... The more the merrier I say! LOL

• jaejae Veteran

@anataman...next life when you come back as a woman I'll believe you, this life for all your medical 'experience' I''m afraid you have no idea of what you are talking about (little stones, big stones, cardboard box, big babies, little babies) ;)

• Sandcastles are fun.

Bunks
  • Sandcastles are fun.

Is 'fun' just another wave of preferred passing away sandcastles? :)

• @lobster said:
    Is 'fun' just another wave of preferred passing away sandcastles? :)

Fun passes the time :)