Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism Simplified

I think I should start by mentioning that this is a 2 part post really. So firstly Buddhism, what is it? Well I was meditating in the sun earlier and a random realization of sorts came to mind, it sprung out of a trance like state with clarity. It was that Buddhism simply is a matter of changing the way your brain functions, as simple as that, everything else in retrospect comes from that action alone.

So why is it such a profoundly difficult thing to do, why is it so hard to liberate ones self and to fully see the dharma in everything?

lobsterBuddhadragon

Comments

• Looking forward to part two . . .
    Personally I do not think it is difficult. You just have to stay focussed on doing it. Again and again and again. I believe it is called 'The Path'.

┏(--)┛┗(--)┓┗(-_-)┛

BunksVastmindBuddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

It's difficult because we have developed mental habits over a lifetime (and perhaps previous lifetimes) that are very hard to break.

Buddhadragonfarrahlicious121
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    edited March 2014

classical explanation, which is very illuminating,

since beginingless (so a long long long long spectral rainbow shout-ahoy-throw-that-tether into the past) time ago we've been Dualizing

which is fine for survival, making babies, sending embarassing messages to @lobster, using chopsticks, etc

but eventually it is not in accord with how things truly are

and, not knowing this, we continue to do it the way we're "used to" doing it

and viola, one day you're a mindless cow to slaughter unless your karma puts you in the monastery pasture..

one breath you're a gull

one breath you're a godly spirit-essence-light-based wonder because you were the bee that stopped the murderer from getting to the great Bodhisattva in ages past,

and one day you're a human, in a realm where the teaching is flourishing! where the Truth is alive and passed down in living breathing traditions

where it is possible, with your pretty-standard-and-miraculous human faculties and logical acuity

to come to complete understanding

to the trmendous benefit
    of yourself

and others

To come to know all phenomena, in their myriad variety, As-they-truly-ceasingbecoming.

A good starting point is
    What hurts?

How does hurting
    end?

What is the way in which hurting ends?

If we can abandon how hurting starts,
    it has no choice but to naturally end.

And perhaps once we get a real real understanding like what lingerie on your man parts feels like or what that syrupy nectar tastes like or how sharp that scratch from going off your skateboard Stings like.. knowing so immediate it is beyond words and argumentation and discussion

then we can talk about

what's the best opposite of hurting?
    how do we make that arise more often, until it flows unceasingly like a river?
    how do we make that
    our abiding

• ZeroZero Veteran

@ThailandTom said:
    So why is it such a profoundly difficult thing to do, why is it so hard to liberate ones self and to fully see the dharma in everything?

It is as difficult as you choose to make it.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

If this arises, so does that, if that does not arise, neither does this - simple really, just got to observe this and that all the time ;)

• CittaCitta Veteran

@ThailandTom said:
    I think I should start by mentioning that this is a 2 part post really. So firstly Buddhism, what is it? Well I was meditating in the sun earlier and a random realization of sorts came to mind, it sprung out of a trance like state with clarity. It was that Buddhism simply is a matter of changing the way your brain functions, as simple as that, everything else in retrospect comes from that action alone.

Your initial premise is wrong.
    Buddhadharma is not ' simply a matter of changing the way your brain functions '.
    Your brain is part of rupa- skandha.

Which is just one aspect of the arising of conditions from which we create an apparent self-identity.

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited March 2014

@Citta said:
    Which is just one aspect of the arising of conditions from which we create an apparent self-identity.

I wonder if "changing the way your brain functions" is simply mis-wording? You really can't change the "function" of the brain. Changing "perception," perhaps, might be a better choice?

• CittaCitta Veteran

That might work.

_/_

• Yea sorry my bad, I meant the way the brain operates with it's surroundings

• @lobster said:
    Looking forward to part two . . .
    Personally I do not think it is difficult. You just have to stay focussed on doing it. Again and again and again. I believe it is called 'The Path'.

┏(--)┛┗(--)┓┗(-_-)┛

The other part takes into account right speech. Imagine a world, a society where everybody had right speech all of the time, every single person unable to tell a lie. Now that could lead interesting places, I don't know if it would be better or worse.

anataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Worldly life is the prioritization of self.
    The Buddhas path is a prioritization of selflessness.
    My practice is just the outcome of my priorities.

Vastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Sounds like the colds getting better @how - welcome back to the land of chat.

So can I get this right: the buddha prioritises selflessness (I get that); your practice is about YOUR priorities (I get that). However, this leads to a place where there is a square peg trying to fill a circular hole. Or am I misunderstanding your comment?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

Thanks @anataman
    No I think I am still pretty flu stupifyed..

I was trying to say that a Buddhist practice simply reflects the priority one places on selflessness over selfishness.

Nothing like having a firm grasp of the obvious.

Vastmind
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@ThailandTom said:

Old habits die hard.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@ThailandTom said:
    The other part takes into account right speech. Imagine a world, a society where everybody had right speech all of the time, every single person unable to tell a lie. Now that could lead interesting places, I don't know if it would be better or worse.

Sounds like a bad movie!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119528/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_30

• wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited March 2014

If we understood our own minds, we wouldn't cause any hurt to ourselves. Why don't we start with not hurting ourselves first, then maybe we can sit with our mind and find out what's going on.

lobster
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited March 2014

@ThailandTom said:

It must be because just like when cement has set, the mind once set, is difficult to be changed. There is too much attachment involved.