Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reality OK for ya?

I hear some silliness about super Buddhist buddies. My experience of the awake, that rarest of breeds, is far more mundane:

Advanced and awake 'practitioners always practicing without form'. In the world unseen. Improving in ways too subtle to call anything but a ripple of a still pool.

Who knows these 'Buddhists' beyond Dharma?

Feel free to share examples.

Comments

• what? you mean formless practice? like mindfulness?

• I don't understand anything you just said... But, entertain me, what does this mean:

@lobster said:
    'practitioners always practicing without form'

• You mean like Zen?

• LostSoulLostSoul Veteran
    edited March 2014

Also - just thought I'd drop in and say, from one stoner to another, whatever you're on, I want to be on it.

I love you.

karasti
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2014

Well thanks for the love guys. I am on no drugs medicinal or recreational . . . Sometimes my language may be influenced by my time with poetry . .

Dogma and dharma transmitters are like living books in a pre net society. Holders of the oral and written treasures. Sangha, priests and gurus transmit often only on this superficial level. If they are advanced practitioners then they have personal experience and wisdom to share. Their 'real transmission' may be more in their behavior and mindfulness. They are very precious. We take refuge in good company and peeps of a dharmic persuasion . . .

'Practicing without form': These are the people who are operating or transmitting the essence, rather than the dross, precious as dross is for us beginners. Some of you will be familiar with Lobsterian Dhyana . . .

Water which is too pure has no fish.
    Ts’ai Ken T’an
    http://www.livinglifefully.com/zensayings.htm

but these are not transmissions, 'outside scripture', or the passing of mahamudra and dzogchen.

The far shorers have no form to speak of and no dharma to transmit. Do they exist on the mundane realm? Of course. Did you think those on the far shore still paddle rafts? Sometimes. You think the far shore is a myth? Unattainable? . . . well it is in a very real sense 'attained' or 'unfolded from'. Some even dance there . . .

Those on the far shore are nothing special or noticeable . . . unless they choose to manifest in this way.

. . . or do you recognise these guys that @samahita describes?
    I don't.
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/20828/suprahuman-force-i

Or, in the words of the Buddha:
    Let go past,
    Let go future,
    Let go present --
    Be on the far shore.

Dhammapada, verse 348
    Majjhima-nikaya, sutta no. 131
    and Suttanipata, verses 796-421

Mr Cushion is reminding me to let go . . .

• CittaCitta Veteran

I have literally NO idea what you are saying here Ed...

• I've met some Buddha's in my lifetime.
    Very often they don't even know they are.
    When you meet one you just know.
    It can be anybody anywhere.
    They change the world around them for the 'better' through very subtle, gentle action/non-action.

The more I practise, the more I tend to encounter them.
    So it could be my own perception playing tricks LOL.

That's why im (still) sticking to the obvious fact all are Buddha.
    All are enlightened beings, all have just to realise this.

• GuiGui Veteran

No thing to do.
    No where to go.
    No one to be.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Bankei replied, "My miracle is that when I'm hungry, I eat, and when I am tired, I sleep"

• robotrobot Veteran

@iamthezenmaster said:
    I've met some Buddha's in my lifetime.
    Very often they don't even know they are.
    When you meet one you just know.
    It can be anybody anywhere.
    They change the world around them for the 'better' through very subtle, gentle action/non-action.

The more I practise, the more I tend to encounter them.
    So it could be my own perception playing tricks LOL.

That's why im (still) sticking to the obvious fact all are Buddha.
    All are enlightened beings, all have just to realise this.

Doesn't make sense to me. If you come across someone who is sleeping, would you say they are awake but just don't realize it? Or that a drunk is sober if only he would realize it?

I used to hate cilantro. Now I enjoy it. The taste of cilantro hasn't changed, but I definetly did not always like it.

• @lobster said:
    Well thanks for the love guys. I am on no drugs medicinal or recreational . . . Sometimes my language may be influenced by my time with poetry . .

Dogma and dharma transmitters are like living books in a pre net society. Holders of the oral and written treasures. Sangha, priests and gurus transmit often only on this superficial level. If they are advanced practitioners then they have personal experience and wisdom to share. There 'real transmission' may be more in their behavior and mindfulness. They are very precious.

'Practicing without form' examples: These are the people who are operating or transmitting the essence, rather than the dross, precious as dross is for us beginners. Some of you will be familiar with Lobsterian Zen

Water which is too pure has no fish.
    Ts’ai Ken T’an
    http://www.livinglifefully.com/zensayings.htm

but these are not transmissions, 'outside scripture', or the passing of mahamudra and dzogchen.

The far shorers have no form to speak of and no dharma to transmit. Do they exist on the mundane realm? Of course. Did you think those on the far shore still paddle rafts? Sometimes. You think the far shore is a myth?

Those on the far shore are nothing special or notice

This makes complete sense to me. Either we're on the same drugs, or we both "get" the same thing.

Can I answer this question for you though?

• LostSoulLostSoul Veteran
    edited March 2014

Also, I'm kidding about the drugs, I'm sober and haven't slept for at least 20 hours.

• ZeroZero Veteran

@lobster said:
    Who knows these 'Buddhists' beyond Dharma?

You won't find it by looking or asking.
    You just have to trust your step and keep on moving.

lobster
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

I'm starting a new movement called BADP (Buddhists Against Drunk Posters).

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Assuming that a Buddhist formless practice can be beyond the Dharma, is a myopic view of both.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Some of the most realized people I've known don't even realize they are realized. They don't think anything special of it, they don't practice anything. They don't read sutras or bibles or Bhavaghad Gitas or anything else. They simply live, and while most of us will pass them by without a second look, they often hold wisdom most of us wish we had. Folk who teach without trying, and know without "learning." My great grandmother was like that. My 17 year old is like that. Interestingly, those who strive the most to be that way, are the farthest away.

lobsterLostSoul
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014

I Can't worry about that.

So yes, reality is floating my boat,.... ahem....., raft. hahaha

• @Zero said:
    You just have to trust your step and keep on moving.

Indeed.
    Wether we are in the dharma, in beginners mind, in ignorance, wise etc etc. There is a movement we can avoid stepping in tune with aka samsara and one we can awaken to aka nirvana. Do we trust where we are if 'myopic' or 'bereft' of ideas? Of course. Do we trust aka take refuge? Of course. One day we may find others are in step and still
    moving.

So let me ask the question again, another way, another time . . . 'whose step is unseen?' How can you follow that?

• ZeroZero Veteran

@lobster said:
    So let me ask the question again, another way, another time . . . 'whose step is unseen?' How can you follow that?

Asking another way won't work any more than asking the other way! Good try though! There's no following. It is you.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I say float through delusion first and then see about the rocks.

Some seem to go the other route but they will likely heal.