Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Baraka, random question about a scene in the movie

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

There is a scene in Baraka where there is an Asian man who is wearing a straw hat, carrying a bell, and walking on a busy sidewalk. It appears he might be doing walking meditation, he rings the bell as he goes. Anyhow, he is wearing a specific kind of slipper type of shoe covering. Does anyone know what those are called? I have structural foot problems and I do best in minimalist footwear. I tend to wear Vibram Five Fingers and those work really well but their design doesn't lend them useful in every situation. Those type of slipper featured appear to possibly work better and I'm trying to find out what they might be called. Any idea?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Are you talking about this guy? I don't know the shoes though sorry.

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    edited March 2014

The video so people can better understand:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited March 2014

Yes, that's the guy! I can't really tell if they are just socks, or slipper or a type of soft shoe. They are similar to what I wear not but less...loud and distracting. Thank you for the images and video, I didn't even think to include them!

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2014

I think I found what they are, I googled Japanese ceremonial footwear and after a couple links I came to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi, the jika-tabi being more like outer footwear

oh awesome! Yes, that is it I think. Thanks so much for finding it!

• Do a search for 'ninja tabi' too . . .

Will do! Though, living in northern MN I need the ends to be closed to. We still have about 3 feet of snow, and it's snowing again today, LOL.
    I really like the ones that separate the big toe. That's where I get the benefit of the 5 finger shoes, part of the problem is with the bones in the front section of my foot,and when my big toe is held more in the correct position, it alleviates almost all the pain. Very helpful. But I cannot wear the 5fingers in the winter. So there might be a solution with the tabis for me at least, too, from the looks of it.
    Thanks!!