Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Volunteering

Do you? How? Why? Why not?

I'm getting involved with a local group and I got a feeling that it's be the best decision I made since I started my meditation practice.

Would love to hear about your experiences/opinions.

lobsteryagr

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I do some where I have time. Most of the time I am volunteering in other ways, like helping other parent's transport their kids to school or activities, and I do a lot of taking my grandma shopping, doing her yardwork, do some of her house cleaning and so on. Those things take up a lot of my time, lol. But I do volunteer with the local food shelf to help purchase food and stock shelves. My husband and I also work with a semi-local animal rehab place. In our area, we take in animals that are in need of help. We are not rehabbers but we are trained by the rehab place to provide basic care and first aid until us or someone else can drive the animal the 2 hours to the rehab center.

I think it's a great thing to do. You meet new people, you make a difference for people/other beings, it helps your practice. But I also think many people are serving others just in their every day lives through their work or other interactions even if they are not specifically volunteering.

Vastmindyagrpommesetoranges
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Do I? Heck yeah! I wish I could do more........ Why? It's the easiest way to help people and make heart connections. Also, those with children.....if you volunteer at zoo's and places with animals, it's just great at teaching love for animals! .. :) ..

The trick is to pick something you feel really into. One or two things and focus on those...if you pick too many, you'll burn out fast. Change takes time, and you have to be in it for the long haul. hahaha

Good for you!

lobsteryagrToshpommesetoranges
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

I volunteer to help out various sportscar racing clubs in the area as a course marshall.

We're out there to ensure a safe course for the cometitors.

It's also a great way to watch races close-up, get a free lunch and dinner and sometimes a motel room.

yagrpommesetoranges
  • yagryagr Veteran

I volunteer in the human trafficking field, often giving talks or presentations. While I do care a great deal about the issue, it is not something I enjoy, the topic and the interactions with both those who can't protect themselves and those who haven't learned either compassion or love, can be rather depressing.

Chazpommesetoranges
  • I have volunteered sometimes. The problem with it is paranoia but that is probably a thing of the past as my medicines are working quite well, though I am drowsy and more confused.

In volunteering I have: prepared mailings, transcribed dharma talks, worked at a jewelry fair, data entry, pharmacy tasks.

I like it it makes me feel more self worth (not ego, I am saying just it quenches feelings that I have a bad life).

pommesetoranges
  • Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

I should do volunteering. I've had to volunteer as part of a college assignment (no kidding).

It kind of annoyed me to be honest. Why can't the folks in Olympia pull the vines out of their own parks? Oh and of course, the Scotch broom. Yanking that out of the ground was fun too. -_-

Before, Scotch broom was just part of the scenery, now I notice it whenever its in my field of vision.

I don't think I would have minded much if I didn't have to travel on the Free Way to go to Olympia. Its about half an hour from where I live, which also meant using gas to get there.

Hmm...there has got to be something more local I can volunteer at...

pommesetoranges
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You don't necessarily have to find an organized group to volunteer. It only means to give something of yourself without expecting something in return. Take a bag with you when you go for a walk, and pick up trash. When you grocery shop, take a paper or canvas bag, fill it with some non perishables, and drop it in the food shelf donation box.

I took a psychology class where we did weekly 5am yoga (20 minute drive) and had to do an anonymous good deed every week and write a page on what we did and the result. It was awesome.

Vastmindlobster
  • I would agree with doing something you enjoy, so for example I helped with developing open source software and running a community based website.

Perhaps the most rewarding was voluntary work with children and those with learning difficulties.

Volunteering does not even take much time, I ran a funding committee for a gardening charity. We met about once every six weeks for a couple of years, until the project was funded.

Volunteers are often needed at dharma centres, often how they reduce costs. I found it a good way of increasing visits, time spent practicing etc.

Quite a lot of opportunities to improve the situation . . .

pommesetorangesVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Tosh .....you're doing beautiful things to support yourself and others.

I really admire and respect what your doing.

Don't let anyone tell you different .... :D ...

Toshlobster
  • NeleNele Veteran

For the last decade I always have some volunteer thing going. About a year ago I decided to switch from computer-type activities to a one-on-one, people-based volunteer group (a non-profit that assists those with impaired vision). It was out of my comfort zone - which was the point - and has been really, really rewarding.

By the way, the company I worked for instituted a new thing this year - 8 hours of paid "VTO" to any employee wishing to volunteer their time. I was the first one to use mine. Anyone else's employer do that?

• I'm getting involved with a local group and I got a feeling that it's be the best decision I made since I started my meditation practice.

+1

Theoretical metta practice = humbug. Well it is a start . . .

Reality is . . . what is the word . . . REAL!

Thanks to everyone who changes the world by . . . changing the world.
    http://m.wikihow.com/Volunteer

Some are not able. Metta to you guys . . . changing yourself. Bravo.

OM MANI PEME HUMBUG

happy easter

pommesetorangessndymornVastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Between family life (1 and a 4 year old) and work I don't have time to volunteer unfortunately.

I definitely plan on doing so when kids are older and I have more time on my hands.

Hats off to all you NB'ers who do!!!! :thumbsup:

lobsterpommesetorangesVastmind