Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taking the next step

Hello all. I found a community internet cafe close to where we just moved to and so, that explains my presence for any who were confuzzled after my last post about losing the internet. Too, looks like we found a new way to get on from home that'll be set up in a couple days. <-- Just to avoid confusion.

I have practiced vipassanna meditation only; though I have done so for many years. I'm looking to expand my meditative repertoire and would ask for recommendations. I was thinking that metta meditation might be next, from postings that I've seen and conversations I've heard from others but would very much appreciate some opinions on this and perhaps some direction as well.

My ability to concentrate, if it is of importance in this discussion, is extraordinary in the ordinary world - probably ordinary in any type of extraordinary setting.

Comments

• Welcome back. Walking meditation is a good one. Personally I would bring the attention on breath of vipassana into everyday being . . .
    Breath is a great feedback loop on what is happening, especially for those with the health issues you have mentioned.

yagr
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited April 2014

Walking meditation, as the lobsternator recommends would be a good addition.

You might also consider Shamatha as it a good practice to do before you begin Vipassanna or Walking meditation.

Actually, though, Vipassanna is a complete practice. I don't see any real need for you to do anything else.

yagr
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Is there a practice that, as @Chaz suggests, is not a complete practice? I doubt it. But each entails plateaus or barriers and those plateaus and barriers are where determination comes in handy.

As one point of view, the answer to the realm of the stale is not so much switching to something new and novel is probably something more along the lines of redoubling the current effort. If the practice needs changing, it will change itself -- flow naturally into some other format which is, so to speak, the same but different.

As I say, just one point of view.

Invincible_summeryagr
  • My ability to concentrate, if it is of importance in this discussion, is extraordinary in the ordinary world - probably ordinary in any type of extraordinary setting.

The metta meditation you are interested in would make for a 'softening' addition. Tonglen is a version of metta practice that might suit. Your ability to concentrate is fundamental, your answer I feel is within the yin and yang of vipassana if I can put it like that. A practice may be complete as mentioned. For example a formal sitting is no different in one sense to a 'formal' ordinary world being . . .
    How do we learn to unconcentrate our focus is through unfolding the petals of tightness, if that makes sense for you.

How wonderful.

wangchueyyagr
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited April 2014

Before you go into your vipassana meditation or after you come out of it, you could just dedicate your meditation to all beings.

"may the peace and happiness that I experience(d) in meditation be felt by all beings"

lobsteryagr