Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Initiating with a Buddhist teacher

inyoinyo Explorer
edited April 2014 in Buddhism Basics

Hi everyone~ I'm 24 and I've been studying Buddhism solo for about 6 years, but I found a monastery online and I'm thinking of contacting them to try to learn from a meditation teacher. Although I'm familiar with Buddhism, I am very unfamiliar with how it works to set up with a teacher! I'm sure many of you all have experienced this before. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but if you could help me with these questions:

1. If they put me with a random teacher person who I know nothing about or have any recommendation to from others is it okay? This may be one of those using your logic to see if the teacher is good and works for you.

2. Do I donate money or food or what? and to who and how much? Is this something I just ask the monastery?

3. (a) Will it be a set schedule? (b) how often are the teaching sessions? (c) Is it something I can only do twice a week for awhile or intermittently for longer periods?

4. Is there any etiquette I should be aware of?

5. This is sort of silly, but I'm really bad at sitting in meditation for long periods, usually halfway through I have to stretch and take a break or sit somewhere else. I exercise often but for some reason sitting can be the greatest work out for me! (doesn't make sense) Soo, how physically "strict" are these sessions? is it always sitting meditation for long periods of time? or do we walk around at all? For some reason in my head it's going to be a ton of "physical" work, maybe I'm amplifying things, but usually I don't really over push it when my body gives out. (GEEZ I'm sounding like an old woman!!)

6. What is like to have a teacher?

I'm sure I have billions more questions, please elaborate if you've had this kind of experience! Any info and tips help.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

Answers:

1: Yes.

And no.

If you find you cannot 'connect' with your teacher, you have every liberty and freedom to leave, move and change. Every teacher who comes to you, should be examined, tested and scrutinised. You should feel comfortable, free to speak, and protected by them. It is upon YOU to assess, over time, what kind of a teacher you have, and whether what and how they teach, resonates with you.
    They may instruct you in ways which take you out of your comfort zone, make you think outside the box, and poke you in the chest; that is one thing, and probably exactly what you need. But if you do not have confidence in your teacher, or you feel something simply does not...'fit'.... Leave.

2: You will in all probability be made aware of the requirements when you arrive.

3:(a) Up to them; (b) Up to them: (c) up to agreement between you and your teacher.

4: Probably. In fact, almost certainly.
    But this depends on the Tradition/School you will be studying with.

What is their name? Who are they? What is their history? How long have they been there?

5: if I were you, I would do more research into meditation. Start by looking at the threads in our 'Meditation' Forum.
    There are all kinds and manner of methods, and no one method, strictly speaking, is 'correct'. Time is also not a factor, particularly when you Meditate at home. 5 fruitful minutes are better than a frustrating, fruitless half-hour....

6: Goodness knows. I've been doing this for 20 years, and I've never had one.

While some see it as absolutely essential (again, it's down to School/Tradition) others do not see it as a fixed, essential or urgent requirement. But it is better for some to have one...

Let us know more about this monastery. Not always a good idea to opt for the first thing you find....

lobsterinyoanataman
  • @inyo‌

good advice from @federica‌

. . . a meditation teacher is like a senior or experienced practitioner who can inspire, support and advise. A kind friend.

. . . my teacher did not meditate but I never saw him in a state of non mindfulness.

All you have to do is be polite, sincere and ask. Everything will work out fine.

:wave:

inyo
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@inyo said:

1. What is like to have a teacher?

A meditation teacher? It's a Good Thing, generally. Kind of like having a friend. Sometimes things are good. Sometime's times are a challenge.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Jump in ... correct your mistakes as they become apparent. This is practice.

Chaz
  • inyoinyo Explorer

Thanks everyone! Very helpful