Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monkey mind - Craving stimulation 24/7.

Hey all, it's been a while since I visited these forums and I'm sad to say my practice has sort of evaporated. I used to sit daily for 30 minutes or more but somehow the most I can manage now is twice a week. I have noticed that my mind is all over the place all the time. Wherever I go, there I am not.. Whatever I'm doing, I'm not actually doing it..

Watching TV helps to keep me entertained but I can not quite handle "emptiness" anymore. I tense up, thoughts start racing and in no time I'm desperate for something to do. On top of that for whatever reason meditation immediately brings up a negative reaction and I really have to push myself to do it, it's more like homework instead of something I choose to do...

How come? After 2 years or so I really can't tell what has caused this sudden shift in my overall mood but I can see my bad habits are starting to come back, I'm having trouble sleeping again, I smoke more cigarettes and I'm starting to loose motivation to do the things I normally like. Any advice on how to change the direction in which I'm heading? At this point my thoughts are winning the battle :(

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Sometimes, practice ends up being more about discipline than enjoyment. You have to do it, just because you have to do it, like eating or going to work. Just like things changed once, they will change again. You might try going back and meditating for less time rather than 30 minutes, or try changing your meditation and doing visualizations or walking meditation. Any time I've had a lapse of practice, I have to decrease the time i meditate. I once had a lapse of several months, and I had to go back to sitting for 5 minutes rather than 30. But I was able to build back up to 30 minutes much faster.

Woah93
  • See this as the very nature of life, of dukkha. Don't see this as a battle where you ought to do something to secure victory. That will put additional strain upon your shoulders. Instead, acknowledge - calmly, rationally - that this is what life is about. You can't change circumstances, but you can change your attitude toward them.

karastiWoah93Buddhadragon
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@Woah93 said:

I'm sad to say my practice has sort of evaporated.
    I have noticed that my mind is all over the place all the time.
    Any advice on how to change the direction in which I'm heading?

You've provided the advice.
    Practice.

lobsterVastmind
  • At this point my thoughts are winning the battle :(

What do you expect? :wave:

• robotrobot Veteran

@betaboy said:
    See this as the very nature of life, of dukkha. Don't see this as a battle where you ought to do something to secure victory. That will put additional strain upon your shoulders. Instead, acknowledge - calmly, rationally - that this is what life is about. You can't change circumstances, but you can change your attitude toward them.

Changing circumstances is what it's all about. Working with the present to affect the future outcome.

Buddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited April 2014

Easy to say: practice.

But what is the intention and motivation of @Whoah93's practice? It sounds like his monkey mind has succeeded in taking him for a ride, and he's forgotten why he wanted to practice in the first place.

When I get like that - it's back to ground zero: the 4NT's. Do I want to end this suffering - if the answer is yes - then it's time to discipline the mind in coming back to the here and now and see what's happening. Try taking refuge and with a clear mind. Leave off the non-prescribed medications for a day or 2 I would also suggest.

Buddhadragon
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2014

@Woah93 said:

I really have to push myself to do it, it's more like homework instead of something I choose to do...

I've experienced these practice fluctuations and I've found that you just have to buckle down and do your homework. You have to exercise discipline. You have to put fourth the effort. Sometimes the dharma path requires a little effort, sometimes it requires a lot of effort. Times like this, it requires a lot of effort. I've found that it's really just that simple. :)

Dhammapada 25. By effort and heedfulness, discipline and self-mastery, let the wise one make for himself an island which no flood can overwhelm.

Dhammapada 226. Those who are ever vigilant, who discipline themselves day and night, and are ever intent upon Nibbana — their defilements fade away.

Steering a boat through a river of old habits, takes a certain amount of force. If you don't have enough force on the rudder, you can't steer the boat.

No one ever said this whole thing is always supposed to be easy. Discipline is required.

:)

Woah93Buddhadragon
  • Woah93Woah93 Veteran

Well every one of you kind of hit the nail on the head @Hamsaka especially your post describes me in almost every way.

It feels like I'm not actually living my life but rather surviving/escaping something. I just don't know what it is. My guess is it's emptiness.

The negative feelings which arise when I am planning to meditate tell me that, and the fact that I seem to feel the need to fill every moment with some activity.

I guess I also have kind of lost "trust" in meditation, it's hard for me to see the point anymore so I guess it's where the loss of motivation sets in.

What I do know is that when I first started doing it with no expectation or pressure I was feeling a lot more comfortable in my own skin, I didn't care what people thought of me, I was able to look at life with an objective lens free from struggling with emotions though at the same time those feelings of peace/happiness which occurred created these expectations in the first place :/

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Practicing meditation without expectation is harder than it seems. I became disillusioned with it when I did not get the 'big hit' I was so expecting. Now I just get a big release of tension stress and worry.

You have to take things easy though in the beginning and it can be a mistake to think you have to 'go for it' and sometimes just doing 10 to 15 minutes regularly is enough to begin with, and even breaking that into 5 minute intervals might be more beneficial. My sitting sessions are noticeably lengthening, and I was so calm and relaxed today, I lost track of time, and 40 minutes later - went to get up and fell over. Literally, my left leg had gone completely to sleep and was just a lead weight from the knee down. Took 10 minutes to recover!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Meditation isn't really something one should practice to hope to get a particular result. It is something you maintain to free your mind of all the gobbeldygook, as my grandma would put it.
    It's kind of like my son and his allergy meds. He has to take them every day, even if he feels fine. He knows it logically but in practice, he doesn't really get it. He doesn't understand why he has to take the medicine every. single. day. But, that is what keep his head from clogging up, and if he gets behind on his meds, then his head clogs up with snot and it takes days of getting his meds back on track to unclog. Same pretty much with meditation, except your mind is clogged, not your sinuses!
    I don't often notice identifiable changes when I meditate every day. But I sure notice a difference in my money mind, my reactions, and so on in daily life when I am not meditating.

• ZeroZero Veteran

@Woah93 said:
    It feels like I'm not actually living my life but rather surviving/escaping something. I just don't know what it is. My guess is it's emptiness.

The negative feelings which arise when I am planning to meditate tell me that, and the fact that I seem to feel the need to fill every moment with some activity.

I guess I also have kind of lost "trust" in meditation, it's hard for me to see the point anymore so I guess it's where the loss of motivation sets in.

What I do know is that when I first started doing it with no expectation or pressure I was feeling a lot more comfortable in my own skin, I didn't care what people thought of me, I was able to look at life with an objective lens free from struggling with emotions though at the same time those feelings of peace/happiness which occurred created these expectations in the first place :/

It may feel like that but you are living your life (or surviving or escaping)! Why guess at something that needs no guessing as it is right before you - breathe in, breathe out... yep - still living your life.

I think you're at a great point in practice - the basic introductions are to some extent behind you and now you have a chance to look again without the glitz and glamour of novelty. A friend said to me once, 'More skills just mean more work!'. In fairness, we were doing some backbreaking work and my point to lighten the mood was that at least we're learning a new skill - his point was more skills, more to do!
    This may apply in some measure here - like the first days at school are like a day camp but after a while the task at hand becomes more and more apparent until it is grasped and achieved - this I believe is considered as 'growing up' or 'maturing' - in the same way, your practice will mature.

How to maintain consistency? For me, I just do it - I'm not sure how to explain it other than look at a situation and decide to make your body do a certain thing (get up, move there and sit down) - any other way I think abdicates responsibility and in a sense (for me) I don't see the merit in splitting practice by categories or not standing up to your word to yourself - thus the process of practice is easily all encompassing (and I suggest is always so even when not personally perceived as such) - from waking up to sleep (and dare I say it, even when asleep!).
    Another way to think of it is that when you're not doing X, you're doing Y and therefore the motivation to DO is there... just an issue of X and Y.
    To be sure, I'm not talking about self-motivating talks, rolling drums and big hoohas - it is subtle, a nod to inertia a nod to motivation and doing all the while no matter.

anatamanBuddhadragon
  • @Woah93 said:
    Hey all, it's been a while since I visited these forums and I'm sad to say my practice has sort of evaporated. I used to sit daily for 30 minutes or more but somehow the most I can manage now is twice a week. I have noticed that my mind is all over the place all the time. Wherever I go, there I am not.. Whatever I'm doing, I'm not actually doing it..

Watching TV helps to keep me entertained but I can not quite handle "emptiness" anymore. I tense up, thoughts start racing and in no time I'm desperate for something to do. On top of that for whatever reason meditation immediately brings up a negative reaction and I really have to push myself to do it, it's more like homework instead of something I choose to do...

How come? After 2 years or so I really can't tell what has caused this sudden shift in my overall mood but I can see my bad habits are starting to come back, I'm having trouble sleeping again, I smoke more cigarettes and I'm starting to loose motivation to do the things I normally like. Any advice on how to change the direction in which I'm heading? At this point my thoughts are winning the battle :(

Emptiness has wreaked havoc! Maybe, the idea is not to empty the mind. Fill it with good thoughts and see what the monkey does with that!

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Practice means showing up on the cushion whatever the day. If craving is the problem then a good diet is the solution. A diet of good thoughts, of good reading, of good material to feed those monkeys, like @footiam said above. Get the theory back right in place, and that will provide the framework for the practice. And vice-versa. You'll be lopsided without both. And have patience. Many times in your life you will find yourself in similar situations. You can never say you're actually finished here. Discipline, patience and megadoses of compassion towards yourself, that's what it takes. Turn everything off and don't be afraid to hear what silence is trying to teach you. You might hear your own voice providing you with the solution, telling you that it's not as bad as you think.

• wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited April 2014

Our cravings to create as well as destroy, our cravings for sensual pleasures, are always overlooked as our own creation. Just breathe and create less.

anatamanBuddhadragon