Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ive often wondered if people like jim morrison was 'enlightened' ? Alot of his poetry suggest he was

Although i was a druggie and alcoholic i still believe he 'understood' something !

His poetry and writings are deep and talks about being free, and 'waking' up from delusion, and we all wear masks but he doesnt etc etc....

My question is; although he wasnt 'buddhist' and never talked about buddhism, i wonder if he had his 'own' awakening about the world etc...

There are so many others who are not necessarily 'buddhist' but write deep interesting stuff!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, he wasn't.
    And you don't have to be a Buddhist to write deep and interesting stuff, or be high on drugs, or anything else for that matter.

His awakening didn't do him much good, did it...?

What a waste of time....

anatamanvinlynlobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

We all have our own awakening, don't we? It's just that some of us don't have the talent to put it through a profitable far-reaching medium...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You think he had talent....? Hmmm.... I guess each is entitled to their opinion....

I notice you haven't commented in your other thread, @zenmyste....

Care to pop in and contribute?
    Or are you a 'blue-touchpaper' merchant?

anatamanvinlyn
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I like some of Jim Morrisons writings but think he was irresponsible and showed a lack of compassion overall. I also think he was very deluded, out of touch and liked it that way.

It takes more than a head full of acid and a pen to be enlightened.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

This came up several months ago with Kurt Cobain as well.

My opinion is that enlightenment isn't needed for someone to be insightful or poetic.

anatamanvinlyn
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I find it hard for someone who choses to be a celebrity, to carry a candle for enlightened thought - Richard Gere excepted lol

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2014

No, Jim Morrison was not enlightened. Just high.
    Look at the mess he made with his life. Enlightenment is not that.
    And what??? Did I hear Kurt Cobain????

vinlynlobsterperson
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It seems like a lot of highly intelligent and talented people lose themselves in drugs and alcohol. My ex was the same. It makes me wonder if it has anything to do with a lack of proper resources to really help those types of people to put that intelligence to use. I think their thoughts often make them feel so isolated that that is a lot of why they turn to not only artistic expression, but drugs and alcohol along with it. There are a lot of famous examples, but there are even more every day Joe examples that follow the same line. Enlightened? No. But usually very smart, very complex people who seek escape from their isolation.

• atiyanaatiyana Explorer

@anataman said:
    We all have our own awakening, don't we? It's just that some of us don't have the talent to put it through a profitable far-reaching medium...

If you mean Buddhist awakening, then surely not, most people continue to transmigrate in conditioned existence. If you awakening as in something other than Buddhist awakening, then why use that term, as it degrades the meaning of awakening.

zenmyste
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

When a person talks the talk, but does not walk the walk, I think you have to say "not enlightened" :)

• @federica said:
    You think he had talent....? Hmmm.... I guess each is entitled to their opinion....

I notice you haven't commented in your other thread, zenmyste....

Care to pop in and contribute?
    Or are you a 'blue-touchpaper' merchant?

I asked the questions; you all answered it.. Why should i contribute? I might not necessarily have anything to say on it, merely just questions i wanted to hear 'others' opinions!

• @seeker242 said:
    When a person talks the talk, but does not walk the walk, I think you have to say "not enlightened" :)

I personally dont think enlightenment is something you do... But something you know and understand.. What you do with that understanding and knowledge is up to you!

(In 'buddhist' terms i agree they would have to walk the walk because thats what they inspire to be (like buddha) But a non buddhist who isnt 'practising' ir 'striving' to be a better person say, could still have an awakening, but decide to not 'walk the walk' !

darklight
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It just seems to me that if you are curious enough what others think, you must have your own thoughts on the matter. Some context is always helpful, too, otherwise people have their own ideas about what you might mean and take the discussion in a different direction. I like hearing what people think about the questions they offer.

zenmyste
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Was Jim Morrison enlightened? I don't know. He seemed to be self-indulgent, insecure, unfaithful and beset with a massive drinking problem. Some choose to point to those "shortcomings" as an indicator of his qualities as poet and lyricist.

There are some who say that Chogyam Trungpa was enlightened (including the 16th Karmapa, Dilgo Khyentse and others) but some point to his "shortcomings" as an indicator of the opposite. CTR did seem to be self-indulgent, insecure, unfaithful and beset with a massive drinking problem. What do I think? I don't know.

All that said, I think Morrison was a genius.

So was the Vidyadhara.

karasti
  • CTR did seem to be self-indulgent, insecure, unfaithful and beset with a massive drinking problem. What do I think? I don't know.

Maybe he was a rock star Guru?

I know, words are meaningless.

Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky . . . oops wrong Buddha Boy

and now back to befuddlement, fantasy dharma and the drug addled clear thinkers.

and now a message from my sponsor

• I think it depends on what we all think 'enlightenment' is...

Enlightenment is an awakening to 'truth', but opeing the door to truth could effect people in different ways.. I dont believe awakening to 'truth' brings instant happiness!

Thanks everyone for their thoughts anyway x

I take it you're done here, then?

Good.

zenmystelobster
This discussion has been closed.