Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non-Buddhists

2»

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

I would and do call myself a Buddhist............................
    There are so many paths though, whatever one wants to call it, if your opening your heart and developing wisdom your on the right path IMO.

lobster
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@anataman said:
    Secular buddhism is now mainstream in the uk, and its got 'mindfulness' as it's hashtag! lol.

Hmm I guess thats more in line with what I practice though I may even be once removed from that! lol! Bob

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

@dhammachick said:
    I used to think I was a Buddhist till I got sick. Now I'm just a wannabe

Your conceptual Buddha met it's sick Buddha, Buddha still the same. Continuing our practice despite not being able to live up to our concepts, defines us.
    I hope my assumption was correct about what you were writing, I have fallen off the wagon, so to speak, when my life met my concepts of what a Buddhist is supposed to be.

lobster
    edited May 2014

Zen saying "If you met the Buddha on the road-kill him!"

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Theswingisyellow said:
    I hope my assumption was correct about what you were writing, I have fallen off the wagon, so to speak, when my life met my concepts of what a Buddhist is supposed to be.

To be honest, I have no idea.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@MeisterBob said:
    Zen saying "If you met the Buddha on the road-kill him!"

But do you know what that means?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Is that saying from Master Linji?

edited May 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    But do you know what that means?

Yes- that any conceptual attachments to Buddha or enlightenment are far from the mark. One of the reasons I like it. For me it a reminder my practice is here -where ever I am- in the common, everyday stuff. Bob

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Wrong. It means be a murderous psychopath and target one of the most revered masters on the planet. That way you will never need to work again, get fed 3 times a day, have free bed board and lodgings all funded by the tax-payer, seek and obtain an education to degree-level absolutely FOC and have TV, music, Movies and different kinds of entertainment whenever you want more or less....

Oh, wait.... It doesn't?
    Sorry, my mistake. Carry on....

MeisterBobToraldrisKundo
  • robotrobot Veteran

@federica said:
    Wrong. It means be a murderous psychopath and target one of the most revered masters on the planet. That way you will never need to work again, get fed 3 times a day, have free bed board and lodgings all funded by the tax-payer, seek and obtain an education to degree-level absolutely FOC and have TV, music, Movies and different kinds of entertainment whenever you want more or less....

Oh, wait.... It doesn't?
    Sorry, my mistake. Carry on....

"Zen and the Art of Licence Plate Manufacturing"