Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have we ever held conventions?

Haven't been a member of NewBuddhist.com for very long, but was curious as to if there have ever been any gather conventions. It sounds pretty neat to hold a convention in which we can all participate in real live conversations centering around Buddhism. Sure not everyone would be able to go off on any of the conventions, but it would be nice for a few new and or non Buddhists to come and exchange dialogue and increase their understanding of what Buddhism really is.

If not, then I guess it does seem a bit unrealistic with all the planning that has to go into conventions, but wouldn't that be such a swell thing.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It would be awesome, for sure. The problem, I think, is mostly logistics. NB members are far and wide, from Asia to Australia to Europe to Canada to the US (and probably more). To find a central location to make it even remotely feasible for enough people to travel in order to make all the work worthwhile would be quite difficult. Having young kids, I have trouble scheduling the time and budgeting money to go to weekend retreats 200 miles from home. So right now, international travel (I live in the US) would be out of the question.

Vastmind
  • Padmini42Padmini42 Explorer

Well in my mind, I thought it could come as a series of conventions held in various areas in the world.

Plus even if it was just the US it would still be difficult for some people to travel, especially people with young children as you mentioned.
    I figured perhaps as an example layout there could be a couple convention points in given areas, such as two in the Northwest, two in the Southwest, two in middle America, two in Southeast ect
    placed in relative driving distance. It would be cool but lots a organizing and planning would take lots of time for people to organize for the convenience of members. P:

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

The logistics ...... :hair: .....

I think we are convening the best way we can right now .. :) ..

We make time to be here, despite time zones and family/life stuff....

It doesn't matter if your a talker ( ME !! )..hahaha..in the middle........or your a

lurker.....if your here then your giving energy and love and growing a seed...

This place is way better than some conventions I've been to..hahaha

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

I don't want to state the obvious....but....I think guys don't like when you

insult the sperm...any guy. ..... :skeptic: ....

Damn...that's about as personal as you can get with someone...hahaha

What in the world would you do at a convention..? lololololol

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

Check Tricycle magazine or Shambala Sun. They often have ads for conventions or workshops of various kinds.

@anataman ?? maybe I am being dense and missing what you are directing the ecard at.

Logistics would be difficult, and finding enough people with the experience, time and ability to set up something not only in their assigned/chosen area, but coordinating with others, plus generally at conventions (in my experience of course) you have people willing to teach/lead topical discussions and so on. The only things I've organized were my 20 person wedding and along with 5 other people, a picnic for 300 people. It is SO MUCH WORK, lol.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I have previously discussed the possibility of NB having a retreat. 'nuff said...

Yes, but that was many months ago...almost 2 months before Padmini joined NB. And really, the cyber retreat you proposed isn't the same as a physical convention. 2 people can come up with similar ideas...It's not like we don't regularly repeat discussions on karma, rebirth and vegetarian diets. I don't think there is anything to be insulted by?

anataman

meh

take from this what you want dude, just wanted to see if we ever had a convention -_-

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Sorry, no, except a virtual ongoing one here.

heh heh, oh well. This is nice too :)