Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan monks II - Electric Boogaloo

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited May 2014 in Buddhism Today

Some fans dressed up as monks and danced for MCA day (a day celebrating the late Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys and notable Buddhist)

JeffreysovaVastmind

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Jeffrey I think you're about the age to have been a kid during the dawn of breakdancing. I remember getting library books on how to do the moves and getting together at friends houses specifically to practice doing moves. I could do the worm, footworks and even could do a few spins on a backspin.

I said a hip hop,
    Hippie to the hippie,
    The hip, hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it
    To the bang bang boogie, say, up jump the boogie,
    To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.
    Now, what you hear is not a test - I'm rappin' to the beat,
    And me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet.
    See, I am Wonder Mike, and I'd like to say hello,
    To the black, to the white, the red and the brown,
    The purple and yellow. But first, I gotta
    Bang bang, the boogie to the boogie,
    Say up jump the boogie to the bang bang boogie,
    Let's rock, you don't stop,
    Rock the rhythm that'll make your body rock.
    Well so far you've heard my voice but I brought two friends along,
    And the next on the mic is my man Hank,
    C'mon, Hank, sing that song!

JeffreysovaZenshinVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You're not a well man, @person‌...

:D

Zenshin

@Federica those are some of the lyrics to Rapper's Delight, considered the first song to popularize hip hop.

Brian Williams even does a cover

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

Rap music and more pertinently the lyrics are being hailed as contemporary meaningful and pertinent poetry. Some rap is included on the UK curriculum and being studied for exams in English Literature.
    S'true....
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=TkVuU9vtIo-u7AbfgYHoAQ&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622038/Now-A-level-Brandspeak-Controversial-plans-mean-language-comedian-rapper-Dizzee-Rascal-new-exam.html&cd=7&ved=0CDoQtwIwBg&usg=AFQjCNFKY6TR6uKLL4nNYgVPg2KwmcwNxQ&sig2=ronyFEqN3L6BtxW-ESYmDA

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

is it confirmed that the guys breakdancing were not monks? I heard another person mention that but I've yet to see a source that says it.

edited May 2014

(sorry about the long link: tried inserting in text and the resulting mess made reading the post impossible...)

@Jayantha said:
    is it confirmed that the guys breakdancing were not monks? I heard another person mention that but I've yet to see a source that says it.

I found this article:

For 2014′s MCA Day in New York City, a group of fans dressed up as Buddhist Monks showed up and performed a breakdance routine in honor of Yauch. Why Buddhist monks? Yauch was a Buddhist and it’s only fitting that a performance celebrating his life be done in traditional Buddhist clothing. It’s also noted that the performance intended to bring attention to Yauch’s dream of seeing Tibet being granted independence.

>

According to the video, the four dancers in the video are Bobby Selby, Jaehyuk Choi, Christopher Groelle, and Stephen Cho. These four men may have been filming a promotion for MCA Day

>

Vastmind

why do I find that worse then if they were actually monks...

@Jayantha said:
    why do I find that worse then if they were actually monks...

Because you are attached to the notion that to imitate a monk while performing a dance routine is somehow sacrilege...?

Or was the question rhetorical?

edited May 2014

I don't know about sacrilege, but disrespectful maybe. I really don't have a strong feeling either way but there is a hint of dislike in my mind for the situation still. The robes mean something, and shouldn't be worn by just anyone for any reason.

Except for Halloween that is ;).

Vastmind

Well, their intention was to honour the memory of their friend and I don't suppose at all that they intended to be disrespectful. I think they wanted to honour his practice and identity.

I find strippers at Pre-wedding stag/hen nights, who appear as priests or nuns, to be worse, myself...

Vastmind
    edited May 2014

Yeah, when I first saw it I too felt like it was a little disrespectful, then I thought of all the times where images of Christian priests or nuns have been used for entertainment or artistic purposes and figured I should just lighten up about it. Plus the intent was respectful.

Vastmind
  • robotrobot Veteran

Or worse, when robes are used to manipulate vulnerable believers.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I think he would have liked it.

When I die...somebody here play it on my dead thread .. :) ...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

First, I thought it was weird that a group of Tibetan monks would break their vows for such a performance. Then, I thought it was weird people dressed as monks. Then, I thought "robes are just robes...it is the person who exemplifies the practice." I am sure there are monks and nuns who wear robes, and do the honor more injustice than a dance honoring a friend. Not just a friend, but a friend who raised a lot of money, and brought the struggle of Tibet to the attention of the US citizens.

Then, I realized I had just spent a good 15 minutes figuring out what I thought of it all. Best just to enjoy the performance for what it is, I think.