Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why are emoticons sometimes shown and sometimes not.

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited May 2014 in NewBuddhist.com

Just a question. Just curious. Just wanting to make smiles and guitar rock emoticons.

:rocker: :)

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

Ghosts in the machine.

JeffreyanatamanVastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Jeffrey: emoticons on the site are part of a long-standing ancient tradition to test our Buddhist patience, craving and attachment to results...

JeffreyVastmindShoshinlobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

There is for sure a bug in the auto part of them...but if you include dots on

either side...for some reason they work... .. :screwy: ..

... :lol: ..

.. :vimp: .. hahaha

Oh..I think even dots don't work on an OP., though....I think I've tried.

Buddhadragonlobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

..OP..

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

As of last night, I have found a new thing. You tap twice at the end of the sentence, and it creates a new paragraph, one space in-between.
    Ghosts in the machine...

• CittaCitta Veteran

I am having various technical problems..the box for replying is narrower than usual..is it my PC ?

• footiamfootiam Veteran

Emoticans like humans can just be emotional.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm sorry to hijack a thread here, but I have a technical problem...
    I'm currently typing on a laptop, kindly (and temporarily) donated by a friend;

However, while I'm typing, I look up to see what I'm doing, and I find that the cursor has jumped up a line and is continuing the text in a completely different and random place in the block of text.
    (I have just had to cut and paste half of that last sentence from the second line, and 'replace' it where it should be!)

Can anyone shed any light on why this keeps happening?
    It's very frustrating... what key am I hitting, or command am I prompting, to make this happen - and how do I stop it - ?!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I haven't had that (yet).

• edited June 2014

@federica - This happens to me sometimes. In my case, the problem is that my wrist or thumb will come too close to the mousepad (fingerpad?) sensory thingy. This then jumps the incoming text back to where the cursor is. It took me a while to figure out what is happening. Now I just need to be diligent about keeping my wrists away from the fingerpad when I'm typing. I'm curious to know if this is what's happening to you!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I really dislike fingerpads for that reason, and I disable mine. Does it only happen here, @federica or in other places, too?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

everywhere....

it's possibly the finger-pad... I see it happen a lot when I make a mistake in typing....
    but I'm not sure at what stage it happens...

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2014

What an excellent opportunity for some mindfulness training! ;) .

yeah, triedoesn't work.d that.
    Guess what? it

DandelionVictoriousanataman

I found a program that apparently fixes this issue. And it seems it's not uncommon either.

We shall see.... :) .

UPDATE:
    So far, it appears to be working extremely well and is very effective.

The only thing I've noticed is that double-tapping the mouse-pad itself, when I first downloaded the program, was ineffective. I HAD to use the left/right click bars.
    Now, it seems that the mouse-pad is again receptive to being tapped to replace the cursor elsewhere.
    And the problem has not re-arisen at all.

....Now i have nothing to blame my typos on...... :D .