Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So far...

MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful AgnathiestCT , USA Veteran

The first thread I started was "Is this place for me? " Well, in the short time Ive been here this forum has helped me stay focused in my practice and remember fundamentals of it as well. Ive gained greater insight through observing others views on aspects of mindfulness too. In the words of my mentor, Jon Kabot-Zinn... "there is much to say and at the same time nothing to say. The meditation practice itself is timeless" and in my thoughts beyond mere words... So to answer my own question,for this follower of mindful agnostic it feels as if I belong. Thank you, Bob

VastmindBunksBuddhadragonInvincible_summerCinorjeranatamanDavid

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

Now that you belong....the name with your decoder ring shall be...

B circle B

.. :D ..

MeisterBobhowlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@MeisterBob‌ is the only way to alert him... But in a post, I vote Mb... Embee to be smart, and Emmybeeby, to be cute.

I think I will just stick to MB...

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

The name was a goof on renaming like Eckhart Tolle... and Meister in general. I can only imagine Tolle took him name from the 12th century Meister Eckhart. On the irreverent side I came up with Meister Bob

On another note Ive come to realize that the mindfulness practice I prescribe to is squarely some form of Buddhist without most of the terminology....Zinn did study with Seung Sahn. Not that I didn't know the origins of mindful practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung_Sahn

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes... His real name was Ulrich Leonard Tolle....

edited May 2014

@federica said:
    Yes... His real name was Ulrich Leonard Tolle....

>

I studied his teachings. Too much concentration and too little compassion for me.

Who.
    Meister, or Tolle?

edited May 2014

@federica said:
    Who.
    Meister, or Tolle?

Tolle.

• CittaCitta Veteran

' Mindfulness practice' without Sila and > @MeisterBob said:

The name was a goof on renaming like Eckhart Tolle... and Meister in general. I can only imagine Tolle took him name from the 12th century Meister Eckhart. On the irreverent side I came up with Meister Bob

On another note Ive come to realize that the mindfulness practice I prescribe to is squarely some form of Buddhist without most of the terminology....Zinn did study with Seung Sahn. Not that I didn't know the origins of mindful practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung_Sahn

It might be Buddh-ist. But its not on the face of it Buddh-ism.

The Buddha said that his Dharma had three essential components..Samadhi ( mindfulness forms part of that ) Sila ( a specific moral code ) and Prajna ( supramundane wisdom ).

edited May 2014

@Citta said:
    ' Mindfulness practice' without Sila and > MeisterBob said:
    The Buddha said that his Dharma had three essential components..Samadhi ( mindfulness forms part of that ) Sila ( a specific moral code ) and Prajna ( supramundane wisdom )

I am speaking of Zinn not Tolle just to be clear. As near as I can tell Zinn, s teachings include these though I'm not sure of the supra mundane wisdom. The terminology is not familiar to me. Either way it is not so important.That I see his teachings as heartfelt, genuine and wise is though. ... :) ... Bob

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

Is'nt it ?

Just a gentle hint that this forum is called New Buddhist.

And I suspect that the Buddha was fairly au fait with the content of Buddhism.

@Citta said:
    Is'nt it ?

Just a gentle hint that this forum is called New Buddhist.

And I suspect that the Buddha was fairly au fait with the content of Buddhism.

I don't know. I'm not sure of the question. ... :) ..

@Citta‌, you know the saying, 'you don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps?'...?

Well, you don't have to be Buddhist to be a member here, but we'll help you anyway....

• CittaCitta Veteran

In a previous post you said that the mindfulness is ' squarely some kind of Buddhist without the terminology '.

I responded by saying that Buddhism is more than mindfulness, or any other form of mental concentration..it has two other components as well.

This is not about terminology, its about the basic nuts and bolts...

• CittaCitta Veteran

@federica said:
    Citta‌, you know the saying, 'you don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps?'...?

Well, you don't have to be Buddhist to be a member here, but we'll help you anyway....

Surely..

edited May 2014

@Citta said:
    In a previous post you said that the mindfulness is ' squarely some kind of Buddhist without the terminology '.

I responded by saying that Buddhism is more than mindfulness, or any other form of mental concentration..it has two other components as well.

This is not about terminology, its about the basic nuts and bolts...

No.I said "the mindfulness practice I subscribe to is squarely some kind of Buddhism without the terminology."

Italics on- practice I subscribe to. I would elaborate more but Im using my phone. Bob

@Citta Well anyways Im back home now. For what it's worth-Here's a Wiki bio of the teacher Zinn was a student of. I don't know ,of course how accurate it is. I can't say for sure but I think JKZ is pretty faithful to what he learned minus a lot (but not all) of the terminology. Might shed a bit of light on my leaning.... Bob

Seung Sahn Haeng Won Dae Soen-sa (Korean: 숭산행원대선사, Hanja: 崇山行願大禪師) (August 1, 1927 – November 30, 2004), born Duk-In Lee, was a South Korean Jogye Seon master and founder of the international Kwan Um School of Zen—the largest (Western Based) Zen institution present in the western hemisphere[citation needed]. He was the seventy-eighth Patriarch in his lineage. As one of the early Korean Zen masters to settle in the United States, he opened many temples and practice groups across the globe. He was known for his charismatic style and direct presentation of Zen, which was well tailored for the Western audience. Known by students for his many correspondences with them through letters, his utilization of Dharma combat, and expressions such as "only don't know" or "only go straight" in teachings, he was conferred the honorific title of Dae Jong Sa in June 2004 by the Jogye order for a lifetime of achievements. Considered the highest honor to have bestowed upon one in the order, the title translates to mean Great Lineage Master and was bestowed for his establishment of the World Wide Kwan Um School of Zen. He died in November that year at Hwa Gae Sah in Seoul, South Korea, at age 77.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Clearly I didn't make myself plain @MeisterBob..no worries.

Yeah , words are easily misconstrued. Still I'm curious as to what "form?" of Buddhist teaching Seung Sahn taught. If anybody know and cares to elaborate I'd be grateful. Bob

@MeisterBob said: No.I said "the mindfulness practice I subscribe to is squarely some kind of Buddhism without the terminology."

Italics on- practice I subscribe to.

What Citta means is that the practice you subscribe to is not even 'some kind of Buddhism' whether with or without the terminology.

Just providing a bridge of clarification here....

Then again perhaps I don't.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

@MeisterBob said:
    Yeah , words are easily misconstrued. Still I'm curious as to what "form?" of Buddhist teaching Seung Sahn taught. If anybody know and cares to elaborate I'd be grateful. Bob

Korean Buddhism, but with modifications. Korea Budhism is a form of Zen (and actually is older than Japanese Zen), but includes chanting and prostrations along with meditation. And instead of a list of koans, the monks are told to concentrate on the single koan "What am I?" However, when Master Sahn came to America to begin his missionary work, his students wanted more meditaiton and koans so he developed his own style and set of koans. He even received permission to change the structure of the sangha, inventing lay teaching positions and finally making celebacy a voluntary but not mandatory requirement in the style of Japanese schools. That one took some convincing, since it's a sore subject in Korean Buddhism due to the Japanese occupation.

@Cinorjer said:
    Korean Buddhism, but with modifications. Korea Budhism is a form of Zen (and actually is older than Japanese Zen), but includes

chanting and prostrations along with meditation. And instead of a list of koans, the monks are told to concentrate on the single koan "What am I?" However, when Master Sahn came to America to begin his missionary work, his students wanted more meditaiton and koans so he developed his own style and set of koans. He even received permission to change the structure of the sangha, inventing lay teaching positions and finally making celebacy a voluntary but not mandatory requirement in the style of Japanese schools. That one took some convincing, since it's a sore subject in Korean Buddhism due to the Japanese occupation.

Thanks. Zinn talks endearingly about Sahn saying "what am I?. .don't know!"... Bob

Cinorjer

'I don't know' are probably the wisest words anyone of us could utter at any time...

Cinorjer

I practice Zinnzen. ...

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

@MeisterBob said:
    I practice Zinnzen. ...

I've listened to some of Zinn's talks on mindfulness on youtube. He knows how to translate Zen teachings about the mind into Western concepts. There's a lot of people out there who would never take something labeled "Buddhist" as a practice they can apply to their own lives.