Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The ego - self- soul - personality...Are they one and the same ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

Another simple question but no doubt not so simple answers...

In some instances I've heard anatta or anatman being translated as no-soul or soul-lessness whilst at other times non or no self or selflessness as been used...When I think of 'soul' I think of something immortal, (perhaps being born in the west in a somewhat god-centric society may have something to do with this) but then when I think about the impermanent nature of 'all' things,(anicca) I start to wonder what the soul is meant to be and if there is such a thing-where does it fit into the scheme of things...

Which brings me back to the thread's question:

Metta Shoshin :)

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

Talk about a loaded question! I'd say various cases could be made for "ego" and "self" sometimes referring to the same thing, as well as "self" and "soul" sometimes referring to the same thing. Personality seems to be the odd-one-out. However to really figure this out, you'd have to define each of the words... the words themselves are just labels, and people could mean completely different things with those same words.

Kundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    Talk about a loaded question! "Personality" at least doesn't belong, but a case can be made for "ego" and "self" sometimes meaning the same thing, and also for "self" and "soul" sometimes meaning the same thing... it depends on what each of those words is taken to mean.

When people talk about the conditioned self, the "I" or false self, the word "ego" could be used. Fundamentally the false self is meant to be abandoned through practice.

When people talk about an unconditioned self, a core essence, that's practically a soul. You can take the teachings on Not-Self to then also mean Not-Soul... but that doesn't mean that an ego (false self) doesn't exist.

It's just a really really tricky question. Basically instead of asking if these words are equivalent, you need to have a definition for each one and then just compare definitions. Words are just labels after all.

Kia Ora,

Ok, my mistake it's not a so simple question...Thank you for pointing out the errors in the question ...Now I have another... how do I delete this thread before it confuses other lost souls (excuse the pun) :D

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@how said:
    Shoshin

Just from ones own meditative exploration....

Ego & self are indistinguishable to me as that which manipulates our data input to maintain it's own existence. Just try to find the ego or self when one stops fiddling with your sense gate data.

Soul (when thought of as that which holds an identity recognizable as us beyond deaths door) only really makes sense to an ego afraid of it's own cohesive end. To awaken from the ego's dream is to leave the egos soulful hope for it's own continuity on the path behind.

Most Buddhist meditaters will eventually find more evidence for a soul's improbability than it's possibility.
    You could call buddha Nature..one soul that we all share but....for what purpose?

Kia Ora,

Thanks for that...I guess I don't have to delete this thread after all ...However I do have a habit of firing off untidy questions, so I also appreciate @AldrisTorvalds observation and enquiry...

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I agree the thread title is a bit of a mixed salad.
    Ego, self, soul, personality... Ambitious question, different notions, complicated answers...
    Each term deserves its own thread...

• CittaCitta Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

Another simple question but no doubt not so simple answers...

In some instances I've heard anatta or anatman being translated as no-soul or soul-lessness whilst at other times non or no self or selflessness as been used...When I think of 'soul' I think of something immortal, (perhaps being born in the west in a somewhat god-centric society may have something to do with this) but then when I think about the impermanent nature of 'all' things,(anicca) I start to wonder what the soul is meant to be and if there is such a thing-where does it fit into the scheme of things...

Which brings me back to the thread's question:

They are one and the same in one important regard. None of them are seen as having permanent and independent existence in Buddhism.

The precise term used for what is essentially an incomplete view is not so important.

Buddhadragon
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Shoshin said:

In Buddhism, generally the "ego - self- soul" are are all considered the same thing. I personally would not put "personality" in there as that is just a way a person behaves, etc. The wise masters who are free of "self" still exhibit different personalities, but perhaps just not as complicated as ordinary people.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    Shoshin

Most Buddhist meditaters will eventually find more evidence for a soul's improbability than it's possibility.
    You could call buddha Nature..one soul that we all share but....for what purpose?

You mean even the Buddha Nature is empty of being?

Bum! We are all gonna die! Man the life rafts . . . crustaceans and cushions first . . . even though our essential essence is nowhere to be discerned, we sure can dance to an empty fiddle . . .

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@seeker242 said:
    In Buddhism, generally the "ego-self-soul" are all considered the same thing.

Well, yes and no. Up to @Citta's explanation that they are the same from the point of view that "none of them are seen as having permanent and independent existence in Buddhism," it's logical.
    But lump all notions as being the same, there are some nuances... could someone please explain?..
    :hair: ..

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

Ego: thought often as equated with pride, a narcissistic view, something to be quelled and tamed.

Self: if we haven't discussed this sufficiently ad nauseam on this forum...

Soul: Forget it. There is no transmigration of a 'spirit' moving on from one essence/being to the next. Not recognised on Buddhism.

In a nutshell....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

ego -vanity and duality
    self-continuity of life
    soul- deeper nature that continues after death
    personality- characteristics

• CittaCitta Veteran

Jeffrey ! I'm shocked ! Run that 'soul ' one past Shenpen...lol.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Shenpen says it depends what a person means by a soul in one of her talks I transcribed.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Unless she has undergone some kind of conversion since I saw her last I bet she did not say that there is a deeper nature that continues after death...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2014

Well she does believe in rebirth. I won't put words in her mouth of course.

Did you meet her @Citta?

• CittaCitta Veteran

Many times @Jeffrey. I have known her since before she was ' Shenpen '. She was Sue when I first met her.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Wow @Citta. I was too ill to travel to see her on her most recent trip to North America. I hope she comes back and I am well.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I'm not aware of the subtleties in her teaching. But she talks often of 'indestructible heart essence'. To someone outside our sangha there is no heart essence, but it is a teaching within the sangha to work with awakening and the openness, clarity, and sensitivity of the awareness.