Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

just a silly announcement

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited May 2014 in General Banter

I wrote this on my blog this morning and thought others might enjoy or take umbrage at it:

I have decided not to import muskrats.

I am making this announcement for several reasons.

First, I think it is salutary to make announcements from time to time. It feels good and has a reassuring quality: I am, after all, a man of principle.

Second, like a wolf that pees in concentric circles around its lair, announcements act as a kindness or a warning to those near, dear or inimical. I don't want other muskrat importers to feel threatened, on the one hand and I would like others, including the fellow in the bathroom mirror, to know where I stand and who I am. Vows and announcements are somehow supportive.

Third, even if I knew what a muskrat was, I still would not want to import or retail one. I may sell a lot of shit one way and another, but muskrats are not one of them. It may be impossible not to retail stuff in life, but I have crossed muskrats off my list. Muskrats and importers can rest easy.

Fourth, being a merchant gives me the creeps. I judge this from the sense of ick that rises up each time I catch myself merchandising something else ... as for example that I will not import muskrats or assert some other lofty and reassuring principle.

Fifth: At my age, I am aware that I may come to rue the day when I took such a lofty vow -- that circumstances may change and I may see importing muskrats in a whole new light. But for the moment, I am well pleased with the man in the bathroom mirror: I am, after all, a man of principle.

lobsterthegoldeneternityTheswingisyellow

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

what dafuq....

Too much time on your hands...?
    I fail to see the point.
    It seems as if you're just desperate to write something - anything - to 'blog'....

I haven't taken umbrage... I simply fail to see any point....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Good plan . . . will there be tea and cake?

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

I for one am glad your taking such a principled stand!
    Here! Here!!

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Only somewhat related, when I was a kid, my dad was laid off his job and to make ends meet, he used to trap muskrat and beaver in the winter. One day while out trapping with him (I was probably 8 years old) we came upon a muskrat on the ice who was quite unhappy to see us. I felt bad for the little guy and wanted to take him for a pet. My dad said to go ahead and slowly approach said muskrat and see what happened. The muskrat promptly attacked my winter boots in a screaming fit of flying wet fur.
    I didn't take the muskrat home.

Thanks for sharing :D I enjoy posts that give a smidgen of insight about people. Stick to your muskrat import convictions! lol

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Me either @genkaku. I feel very good about that decision, in fact, it gives me a sense of security that I didn't know was missing.

Perhaps there is great merit in making more of these kinds of announcements? I mean in general, in everyday life. There are SO many things one could draw the line at, and yet we miss the opportunity. How many times have I missed the opportunity to announce I will no longer tolerate dust bunnies?

It's the IDEA, it's probably an important component to deepen one's comprehension of conditioned origination.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@genkaku‌

I am not big on stands, which require the holding onto of a belief within an existence that changes so constantly that one can never be sure that the spot where one's feet get planted today, can be found tomorrow....

as I am not sure that a urine soaked circumambulation around my domicile might change how I view the photons being reflected back into my eyes by a mirror but...

do keep us apprised of whatever the muskrat response turns out to be.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

do keep us apprised of whatever the muskrat response turns out to be.

@how -- Just a bit of hate mail from muskrats who seem to feel I am looking down my nose at a minority constituency.