Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The real implication of no self for me is....

MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful AgnathiestCT , USA Veteran
edited May 2014 in Buddhism Basics

If I can't pinpoint the self I shouldn't take my self so seriously! Lol!

anatamanShoshinseeker242

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

"tale" ?,,,,, as in pinning the tail on the........ or the story of our specialness?

Love it.

lobsteranataman
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@meisterbob -- Take yourself as seriously as you like. Seriously.

See how well that works.

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@genkaku said:
    meisterbob -- Take yourself as seriously as you like. Seriously.

See how well that works.

Lol...never worked well for me.

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I strike a serious pose - then wee myself laughing.

It's no good, I can't do it...

anataman
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2014

xx you guys . . . [lobster wipes away salty tear] . . .

When I was doing some training at Beshara, the first day I went up to a hill where a woman joined me and offered me a cigarette. We were standing she informed me, in the outdoor memorial of the founder. Some places, for example seikh temples, such smoking behaviour would be sacrilegious.
    http://www.beshara.org/

No self in part, means not taking the tantrams [sic], statute [more sic] burning Zennies and the chant-your-way-to-nirvana seriously, disrespectfully or any other way . . .

Must be time for a silly dance off . . .

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I take myself so seriously that I am the meaningless 'Thing King', you might need to think about that one! ... \ lol / ...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

We are receptacles of incoming data.

The manipulation of that data is self.

Not manipulating that data is the absence of self.

Ya takes da dream or ya takes nothing.

lobsteranatamanBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@anataman said:
    I take myself so seriously that I am the meaningless 'Thing King', you might need to think about that one! ... \ lol / ...

I see what you did there.....

anataman

"Don't take yourself too damn seriously " is a slogan in my 12 step program....So it's a good correlation for me. Bob

I like the new avatar @federica... My daughter said are you the duck, the sun or the clouds... I said you were three in one. LOL. Did you see what I did with that one? Don't worry if you can't people It's all nonsense.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@anataman said:
    I like the new avatar federica... My daughter said are you the duck, the sun or the clouds... I said you were three in one. LOL. Did you see what I did with that one? Don't worry if you can't people It's all nonsense.

My wife was attending a day of teachings from her Lama..the three year old daughter of a fellow student asked her solemnly . " Are you the mouse ? ". Leaving my wife both amused and baffled..

anatamanfederica
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

"The real implication of no self for me is...."

Metta Shoshin :)

MeisterBobanatamanZenshinEarthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Only when we are not so full of ourselves, do we leave enough room to allow for some real learning to happen.

Bunkslobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    Only when we are not so full of ourselves, do we leave enough room to allow for some real learning to happen.

Nice.....you could add that to the Other Sayings thread.

Buddhadragonfederica
    edited May 2014

Just a though. I wonder if most people who find a "spiritual ** "** path have big ego's to start? In my 12 step program that's the case -egomaniac's with inferiority complex's! lol!

kerching!

@dharmamom said:

So.... Only when we are so full of ourselves and in enough pain do we crack the shell of our overinflated ego's just enough to let being enter...(or something like that) lol!

@MeisterBob said:
    Only when we are so full of ourselves and in enough pain do we crack the shell of our overinflated ego's just enough to let being enter...(or something like that)

Not necessarily. It takes a humble acknowledgement of one's never-ending ability to learn (or our plain ignorance) to crack that shell. If you're too blinded by your science (and take yourself too seriously) that might never happen.

@Bunks said:
    Nice.....you could add that to the Other Sayings thread.

>

Good idea.... @Che would like that....

@dharmamom said:Not necessarily. It takes a humble acknowledgement of one's never-ending ability to learn (or our plain ignorance) to crack that shell. If you're too blinded by your science (and take yourself too seriously) that might never happen.

Perhaps. From my experience thats why the pain often needs to be great. Unfortunately in a 12th step program some peoples pain is never great enough and they go on in misery to the end or die. ...

@MeisterBob said:
    From my experience thats why the pain often needs to be great. Unfortunately in a 12th step program some peoples pain is never great enough and they go on in misery to the end or die. ...

That's why I mentioned "humble acknowledgement of one's never-ending ability to learn." Some people wallow in their misery or are simply stuck in it because they can't even begin to warm up to the possibility that there might be another way to see or do things. In this case, they take their misery too seriously.

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment."

Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

edited May 2014

@dharmamom said: That's why I mentioned "humble acknowledgement of one's never-ending ability to learn." Some people wallow in their misery or are simply stuck in it because they can't even begin to warm up to the possibility that there might be another way to see or do things. In this case, they take their misery too seriously.

I like to say "My affliction is my salvation" In other words without the disease of alcoholism I may not have found a mindful path.

BuddhadragonlobsterChaz
  • CittaCitta Veteran

True.

Or as Buddhaghosa said" Karma-vipaka is this one's driver towards enlightenment ".

edited May 2014

@Citta said:
    True.

Or as Buddhaghosa said" Karma-vipaka is this one's driver towards enlightenment ".

Maybe. I'm not sure if your meaning in a literal sense or more figuratively. Either way I suppose I'm agnostic in a karma-vipaka sense...at the moment. ( from the quick bit I just researched about it anyways. I may not have enough information to formulate an "opinion")

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

That never stopped anyone...

But I think Buddhghosa was speaking absolutely literally.

edited May 2014

@Citta said:
    That never stopped anyone...

But I think Buddhghosa was speaking absolutely literally.

Lol! Didn't say it did!

Thanks for the clarification! I tend to be non definitive with the unknowable. That's just me though....it doesn't make it untrue of course.

• CittaCitta Veteran

It was a joke Bob. Unfortunately I can't get the smilies to work, or I would have put the smile one after 'anyone'.

Buddhaghosa in another place says ' karmma is my way of going beyond '

Which in my view points to a kind of proto-tantra.

edited May 2014

Guess I got it cause I laughed! Unfortunately you lost me with the proto-tantra... ... :) ... I'll look it up later.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@MeisterBob said:
    I like to say "My affliction is my salvation" In other words without the disease of alcoholism I may not have found a mindful path.

Samsara
    Nirvana
    Same taste

....different salad dressing.....

Buddhadragon