Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with constant manipulation in western society. How do you do it?

13»

Comments

• Woah93Woah93 Veteran

I am receiving threaths from people I don't know....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

The problem is you consume your energy worrying about the illuminati instead of studying Buddhism. If I have 2 hours to study I will choose Buddhism.

Vote third party candidates!

lobsterTheswingisyellowBuddhadragon
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

@Woah93 said:
    Anyway just needed a rant... but it is bothersome really. It's a shame that the real potential of the human character is covered up by this much nonsense! >:(

I hear you. But it IS human nature, like it or not. Forget "potential", this is happening now. The good news is, it's just clouds across the sky brother.

Peace

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

The birds they sang
    at the break of day
    Start again
    I heard them say
    Don't dwell on what
    has passed away
    or what is yet to be.
    Ah the wars they will
    be fought again
    The holy dove
    She will be caught again
    bought and sold
    and bought again
    the dove is never free.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

We asked for signs
    the signs were sent:
    the birth betrayed
    the marriage spent
    Yeah the widowhood
    of every government --
    signs for all to see.

I can't run no more
    with that lawless crowd
    while the killers in high places
    say their prayers out loud.
    But they've summoned, they've summoned up
    a thundercloud
    and they're going to hear from me.

Ring the bells that still can ring ...

You can add up the parts
    but you won't have the sum
    You can strike up the march,
    there is no drum
    Every heart, every heart
    to love will come
    but like a refugee.

There is a crack, a crack in everything

There is a crack, a crack in everything

Theswingisyellow
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

Sabbe sattā sukhi hontu

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

Sabbe sattā sukhi hontu

edited June 2014

Sabbe sattā sukhi hontu is a Pali phrase meaning “May all beings be well (or happy)”.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Is my government perfect? Nope. Do I care? Well not really.

Reason is all my worrying over the country is not going to help the country. All it is is senseless worry. In the present moment I am sheltered, fed and clothed :) why worry?

Buddhadragon
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    Is my government perfect? Nope. Do I care? Well not really.

Reason is all my worrying over the country is not going to help the country. All it is is senseless worry. In the present moment I am sheltered, fed and clothed :) why worry?

You may have noticed my earlier posts being rather dismissive of the original post.

Nevertheless, I often think back to Thomas Jefferson's statement that, "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." And we do need to be vigilant about freedom and democracy.

But while nothing here in America is perfect, having lived in the third world for a couple of years, and having experienced bribery, shakedowns, reporting to officials every 3 months who could -- if they wished -- deport you at anytime, and more...it was actually quite nice getting back to the U.S. where the relationship between the citizens and the government is generally quite stable with lots of protections for most situations.

Yes, extreme things are done from time to time, but we have a fairly good self-correcting system here that takes care of most such issues...at least over time (and that is where the eternal vigilance comes in).

Democracy -- like the symbol for justice -- is like a scale. Sometimes the scales are out of balance in one direction or the other. Or, to use another cliche, the pendulum swings one side of center and then to the other side of center. For every action there is a reaction. For every Barry Goldwater there's a George McGovern (or vice-versa).

To be honest, most young Americans are rather spoiled about freedom and democracy. To a large extent, they've always had both...without needing to expend much of any effort or take many risks. They whine if Facebook goes down for an hour or a comedian is censored; they forget that other generations suffered through the Great Depression or 2 World Wars, or the military draft during the Vietnam War era, or polio epidemics, or needing to do atomic bomb drills in school, etc. But now, every little issue is called a crisis, when more often than not the crisis is merely a problem to be addressed.

So, I disagree that it is all "senseless worry", but neither do I feel that the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You think I'm going to spend two hours, listening to waffle and diatribe, I'll just be grateful you did it for me.
    Thanks for your obvious concern @Woah93.

I suggest if you don't like what's happening, you tackle those in a position to be concretely able to do something about it.
    We can do nothing here, and in spite of having tried to pout forward other views, you seem resolutely set on your path.

Whether it's righteous concern or worrying paranoia, I have no idea.
    But you're complaining in the wrong place.

Thanks all,.

lobsterWoah93
This discussion has been closed.