Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you avoid certain food when you are not feeling well?

For example, some people avoid fried foods if they have sore -throat.
some people avoid ice-drinks when they have cough.

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

I think different cultures and even different families have different rituals @hermitwyn.

I have never heard of avoiding fried food if you have a sore throat.

Avoiding iced drinks is actually good advice at any time. They can impair the digestive process.

In my family my grandmother and mother would stop us eating nuts if we had a cold or cough..which I suspect is pretty irrational..lol.

Earthninja
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I don't drink milk when I have the flu.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I suspend dairy products when my son has fever.
    When he's ill and unwilling to eat, I prepare him rice the Tibetan way. It has a name but I forgot it. You overcook plain rice (no salt, no sugar added) till it gets the consistency of a puré. I give him several spoonfuls now and then till he gains back appetite for something more solid.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I spent two years on a very restricted diet as I was moving towards terminal sickness.

When well, I eat healthily. I try and eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and drink water. I have an attachment to curry and the meditarian diet. Ascetic deitary practices such as fasting can be beneficial, having done them but they can be dangerous. For example the Koran was 'written' by somone who started hearing voices after not eating properly. :wave: .

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Avoid:
    potatoes
    beetroot
    tomatoes
    with attacks or symptoms of cystitis.

Avoid dairy products (particularly in the evening) with colds.

Avoid chillis if suffering from cramp.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    For example the Koran was 'written' by somone who started hearing voices after not eating properly.

So if we go by the results...

• I always avoid Gluten and I also cut out all dairy when I have a cold or flu. I try not to eat processed foods too much, if ever. Since I started eating well I have regained my health and lost all my excess weight.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I just listen to my body and eat what it is telling me to eat. There are reasons a lot of people tend to crave chicken soup, but the chicken soup you buy in a can and mix with water is lacking most of the nutritional benefit to actual stock that is homemade. Plus it's loaded with salt. I made my own chicken and veggie stock. When I'm sick, which is rare, it's usually sinus related to my allergies. I don't eat dairy and I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, and water and tea. My body does a pretty good job telling me what it needs as long as I listen. Even with cravings, I pay attention to what I'm craving and try to fulfill it with healthy alternative. Fruit instead of candy, nuts or veggies instead of chips, and so on. That said, nothing quells my craving for flaming hot cheetos.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

The reason I think a lot of people stay away from dairy when they're sick is because it has a tendency to increase mucus, or so I've been told...

Other than dairy, I don't really avoid anything when I'm sick, but I do tend to eat a lot more soups since fluids are really important when you're sick. I also increase my garlic intake, usually by taking supplements. Garlic is a natural antibiotic.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@zombiegirl said:
    The reason I think a lot of people stay away from dairy when they're sick is because it has a tendency to increase mucus, or so I've been told...

Other than dairy, I don't really avoid anything when I'm sick, but I do tend to eat a lot more soups since fluids are really important when you're sick. I also increase my garlic intake, usually by taking supplements. Garlic is a natural antibiotic.

Dairy certainly increases mine.

A little milk in tea is fine. But if I drink a glass of milk, or even worse eat anything with cream..instant sinusitis.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Milk does the same thing to me, and ice cream. Yogurt and cheese do not (I assume because of the difference in processing). I can drink a bit of milk or have a little ice cream, but beyond about a half a cup my nose stuffs up right away. My oldest son has asthma and seasonal allergies, and limiting his milk consumption helps immensely with both problems.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I drink Vernors ginger ale which is a michigan ginger ale with tremendous bite and carbonation level.