Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you ever wondered... where does 'one' go when not being mindful ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited June 2014 in General Banter

Kia Ora

And now for some weird & wonderful moments of utterly unadulterated awareness - :D

Thus I have heard (and to a certain extent 'experienced') that Mindfulness helps to alleviate unwholesome karma...

So where do you think one goes (ie where does one abide moment to moment) when not being mindful ?

Or to put it another way....where is this place called unawareness ? And if you have been there, how do you 'know' you have been there ?

Metta Shoshin :)

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Awareness goes to non-mindfulness. Label mindfulness and non-mindfulness and there is a dichotomy.

When mindful we are aware we are mindful. When non-mindful we are non-mindful.

DandelionShoshin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

The door that is marked "entrance" can lead to wonderful places. But the door that is marked "entrance" on one side is marked "exit" on the other.

It's a single door, so to call "entrance" different from "exit" is not quite right and calling "entrance" and "exit" the same is also not quite accurate.

To my mind, which is "entrance" and which is "exit" becomes clearer with practice.

Shoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Shoshin

I think you've built some mind traps into your question!

There is being awake and there is snoozing. Being awake is being aware of all your sense organ data. Snoozing is not.

Why do you think that one state represents one place while the other state represents a different place.

Another way of viewing it is that one state is like a flame ( being fueled by all your sense data) and the other state is simply the stifling of that fuel which then results in the extinguishment of the flame.

Does anyone ask where that flame went?

Shoshin
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora

And now for some weird & wonderful moments of utterly unadulterated awareness - :D

Thus I have heard (and to a certain extent 'experienced') that Mindfulness helps to alleviate unwholesome karma...

So where do you think one goes (ie where does one abide moment to moment) when not being mindful ?

Or to put it another way....where is this place called unawareness ? And if you have been there, how do you 'know' you have been there ?

Actually, you're always aware.

Seeing, then, that you're never truly un-ware, it's really a question of what you're aware of in any given moment.

ShoshinJeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Where does one go when asleep?

howyagrlobster
  • yagryagr Veteran

@Jeffrey said:

..or awake.

genkakuDandelion
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Sometimes tomorrow, sometimes yesterday... Anywhere but now.

Buddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Jeffrey said:

Kia Ora @Jeffery,

To the land of nod..._ :D _

Metta Shoshin:)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Good thing I moved this to General Banter....

Kia Ora,

Thanks for the interesting responses...

About the place called 'unawareness'

It's like when you get into your car and drive from A to B, you can remember getting into the car and starting to drive, but during the drive, 'manual' awareness seems to switch off and awareness goes onto auto pilot , then what seems like in 'no time' at all, manual awareness comes back on as you arrive at your destination (be it half hour later)...You 'know' that you have driven from A to B, but can't remember much about the actual drive... It's possible all of us who drive have had this kind of experience and more than once no doubt...

Metta Shoshin:)

@Jeffrey said:

Kia Ora @Jefery,

On a more serious note, if one can contain a mindfulness state, nowhere special...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Actually, I make a determined decision, when driving, to be more alert and aware than ever.

I find it helps other drivers not panic at my antics....
    It's an excellent opportunity to be truly "here"....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Chaz said:
    Actually, you're always aware. Seeing, then, that you're never truly un-ware, it's really a question of what you're aware of in any given moment.

I have noticed there is a slight difference between being simply aware and actually mindful.
    Let's say during the first minutes of meditation, when I am beginning to warm up and fall easily prey to every single thought that crops up.
    If I am just aware, I drift off from the present and get ensnared in the fiction of every single thought. I chase after the shopping list, get worked up remembering my silly neighbour's antics, worry over my son having a test that day, wonder if I should buy that hundredth book on Amazon...
    There's another feel to being mindful. I am actually there, present in the present moment. Even if I go over the same thoughts as above, I am more detached, more able to stay grounded and watch them as drifting bubbles, mere consciousness residue.
    I am able to actually go through all the motions of acknowledgement and letting them go, reminding myself that it's my breathing that matters right now. I am choosing.
    So I'd say, when we are not being mindful, knee-deep into the present moment, we're buying into the fictional maya created by our senses landing on reality. We're merely puppets to our stream of consciousness.

ShoshinJeffrey
  • zenffzenff Veteran

@Shoshin said:

The majority of what the brain does, happens without involving conscious processes.
    That’s a good thing! It would drive me crazy if I would have to take consciously notice of every detail that enters through my senses and if I would have to think about every step and every movement I make. Also that would make me far too slow to drive my car for instance. Now that I think about it; where are the breaks of my car? Fortunately my brain can find the breaks without asking me.
    When I’m not being mindful (in a sense), I trust my brain functioning without conscious processes interfering.
    The “I” that I could identify with (the babbling idiot who pops up in my brain) comes and goes; all the time. And what comes and goes is not real.

The function of mindfulness and of concentration as mentioned in the eightfold path - I think – is to weaken or to simplify the mentioned babbling idiot.
    Instead of allowing it to take off into the universe of its story, its judgments and its preferences; the conscious processes are taken back to the actual input of the senses or to the breath.

So the way I see it, it’s usually okay to be mindless in the meaning of trusting the brain working on auto-pilot.
    It’s not so good, not so meditative; to be mindless by being absorbed by the story we’re in; or by some intellectual hairsplitting; or by an emotional drama of our own creation.

ShoshinBuddhadragonJeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Stuff still happens but one doesn't really notice. Lots of habitual responses.

Shoshin
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

@SpinyNorman said:

Exactly. Most of the time our responses are on autopilot. The process of creating a 'self' continues
    anyway.

Its a self reinforcing loop.

Its not the creation of a 'self' that requires conscious processes.

Its the seeing that we are doing it, and then not doing it, that has to be conscious.

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

If I have followed no thought there is nothing to remember. Bob

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

@Shoshin said:

We might say there is a dullness, many dirty or coloured windows to be mindful through. Too many distracting windows and we are asleep. In mindfulness we can examine the windows or be aware of their distorting nature . . .
    :wave: .

• footiamfootiam Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora

One probably is still there. It is only the illusion that we are going somewhere. Just like the sun appears to move round the earth.

@SpinyNorman said:

Kia Ora @SpinyNorman,

The habitual response (sankhara) makes sense, much of what ones does is habitual response...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

Nisargadatta: "The ‘I am’ is a thought, while awareness is not a thought; there is no ‘I am aware’ in awareness. Consciousness is an attribute while awareness is not, one can be aware of being conscious, but not conscious of awareness. God is the totality of consciousness, but awareness is beyond all – being as well as non-being."

Another from Nisargadatta: "All hangs on the idea ‘I am’. Examine it very thoroughly. It lies at the root of every trouble. This ‘I am’ idea was not born with you. You could have lived very well without it. It came later due to your self-identification with the body. It created an illusion of separation where there was none. It made you a stranger in your own world alien and inimical. Without the sense of ‘I am’ life goes on. There are moments when we are without the sense of ‘I am’, at peace and happy. With the return of ‘I am’, trouble starts."

"It is because the ‘I am’ is false that it wants to continue. Reality need not continue – knowing itself indestructible, it is indifferent to the destruction of forms and expressions. To strengthen and stabilize the ‘I am’ we do all sorts of things – all in vain for the ‘I am’ is being rebuilt from moment to moment. No ambition is spiritual. All ambitions are for the sake of ‘I am’. If you want to make real progress you must give up all ideas of personal attainment." Nisargadatta

Here's a real good quote from Nisargadatta: "Immortality is freedom from the feeling: ‘I am’. Yet it is not extinction. On the contrary, it is a state infinitely more real, aware and happy than you can possibly think of. Only self-consciousness is no more. Who would remain even to say ‘I am the witness’? When there is no ‘I am’, where is the witness? In the timeless state there no self to take refuge in."
    Quotes of Nisargadatta Maharaj from “I am That”.

Shoshinzenffanataman