Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's up for your summer?

howhow Veteran Veteran

Every summer I put away my electronic toys and go into formal retreat. Somewhere in that time will be a kayak expedition for a couple of weeks. (this year around the Brooks peninsula just to give these old bones a run for their money).

I thought this year instead of the usual boo hoo to my net Sangha and general thanks...I'd ask them what's up for their summer plans.

Ooww..I guess this is mostly a summer latitude tilted Sangha.

Cheers all and hope to chat with everyone again when the world starts leaning back again,

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Have a great vacation!

• robotrobot Veteran

I'm in Masset!
    Take care at the Cape. It's a westerly year so far.

EarthninjaJeffreyVastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Robot

Masset!

My fave area there is from Moresby down to not so Hot Spring Island!

Hecket Strait, when she's testy, has shown my 24ft double what's what in the past. Still hard to wrap my head around seeing old boat wreckage tossed so far up cliff faces that they look like an Engineers prank.

• robotrobot Veteran

You sure must see some sights from a kayak. I've only been to Juan Perez Sound once . That was in March some years ago. Didn't go ashore though. Too bad about the hot springs.

• ShakShak Veteran

My old Bristol sailboat will be on the hard due to my father's illness. I do plan on getting the wife and kids out on Casco Bay for a few days of kayaking and camping.

Earthninja
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Awesome!
    Right now, my husband and middle son are in the throes of Little League. My husband coaches my son's team. 2 weeks of that left.
    We usually spend some time camping. We are blessed to live on the edge of a wilderness area where no vehicles are allowed-no boats, no cars, no roads or building and a controlled number of people at any given spot. Basically, you go by canoe (though kayak is possible if you are alone).
    But I usually take a retreat alone for a long weekend, to my favorite camping spot close to home. I just take the kayak, a hammock, some cooking things, and I sit. It's lovely and I wish everyone could experience being so far removed from normal society. It's such an eye-opening experience. It is how I grew up, so it is second nature to me. But I feel so for people who never know it. To have the opportunity to be the only human in several square miles. Or if you are adventurous, the only human to set foot in a certain spot for decades, or longer. It's amazing, and I wish everyone could do it. But right now, the bugs are horrible. Bring a bug suit :D lol

Summer always feels late coming and too early departing. In northern MN, summer comes around now and leaves by late August. I love to spend time in my garden, hiking, and camping, and at the same time enjoying the craziness that comes with having 3 boys-tball, baseball, camp. Our oldest is 17 and is working 2 jobs plus summer training for the ski team. It goes so fast. But I love every bug-filled second.

Earthninja
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited June 2014

This will be the final few months to spend with family and friends before I get to go to the monastery(unless that changes.. again, all is uncertain) and see how the monk's life fits me. No major plans set except maybe a trip to Thomas Jefferson's home Monticello.

Earthninja
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I am looking forward to the fourth of July. My girlfriend is getting the fifth off and i am not working. We will go the fourth to my Dad's cottage on Lake Michigan and have a bon fire with dueling fireworks of the people living along there. My gf will meet my bro which is a very big deal to me.

Earthninjaanataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I'm spending a couple of weeks in 'Hopefully' Sunny South Cornwall sailing dinghies, kayaking, hiring a little boat to go up the river and cycling with my family. It seems a lot of people here are attracted to the water...

JeffreyEarthninja
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

@how said:
    Every summer I put away my electronic toys and go into formal retreat. Somewhere in that time will be a kayak expedition for a couple of weeks. (this year around the Brooks peninsula just to give these old bones a run for their money).

I thought this year instead of the usual boo hoo to my net Sangha and general thanks...I'd ask them what's up for their summer plans.

Ooww..I guess this is mostly a summer latitude tilted Sangha.

Cheers all and hope to chat with everyone again when the world starts leaning back again,

Have a good time. I am working through the summer. No hols now until September. Largely so that colleagues who have school age kids can get away during the long vac.

Goodness I'm noble...

JeffreyBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

We're spending ten days in the Lake of Como, Italy, on the second week of July.
    We'll also do little trips in the Lake of Geneva, French Alsace and the German Black Forest.
    Happy holidays to everyone, wherever you go!!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2014

I haven't had a holiday in 5 years or so. You'll all have to give me the run-down on yours so I can almost feel 'there'! :D .

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

Last holiday/vacation for me was 2003.

Summer for me is same old song...but with a different beat. .. :) ...

Working full time for me and getting used to a different shift, and since the kids are out of school, I'll try to plan some Saturdays to the local museums, movies, and picnics at the park. Summer is when I plan for the next school year. Right now you can buy school uniforms and supplies for half off. It just involves going to a lot of stores and doing the leg work. I take this time to do hands on science projects at home. The fun, messy ones...lolololol. I'll set up easels too and we'll paint/do art in a couple of weeks. I'll post pics when I hang them.

In other words...staycation for us! .. :thumbup: ..

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

How old are your children, @Vastmind....?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

18, 11, and 10. Oh...the biggest one is 49, lolololol. He's traveling more than usual for work this summer....so I get a vacation from him...does that count? hahaha

@federica