Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha nature

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited June 2014 in Buddhism Basics

From: For a Future To be Possible, Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life --TNH, ...pg 84

The Buddha that we experience here and now is mindfulness. Mindfulness is a mental formation like any other mental formation. It has a seed in our individual consciousness and in our collective consciousness. It is a precious gem buried deep in the Earth for us to discover and explore. When we unearth it, we can transform the whole situation.

This is the coming of a Buddha-not from nothingness, not from nonbeing, but from a Buddha seed, Buddha nature.

The practice of mindfulness is the practice of bringing the Buddha into life in the present moment....That is why the Buddha is sometimes described in Mayayana Buddhism as the Tathagata ("he or she who has come from suchness, from reality-as-it-is"). Suchness cannot be described with words or concepts. Nirvana, the absolute truth, reality-as-it-is, is the object of our true perception and insight......with mindfulness, we can see the nature of reality clearly.

MIndfulness, with the support of concentration, conscious breathing, and looking deeply, becomes a power that can penetrate deeply and directly into the heart of things.....direct looking. Finally, the the true nature of reality will be revealed to us as suchness.

JeffreyanatamanShoshin

Comments

• Hey Vastmind I've been practicing being mindful using my senses, + emotions & feelings control practice for around 10 months now..The training shown me that i was creating all my own negative emotions & feelings, & so i don't/can't manifest them now..It also led me to having no more negative thoughts, & it also helped me to see why people act like they do & do what they do..I've done more meditating than the average bear, & have seen & experienced some very strange things over the last year..The last thing i saw whilst meditating was a symbol, & it's the first time I've seen anything like it & was a few weeks ago..The main thing I've noticed is how much i love nature now, & how different it all looks as if it's more defined now..I can now empathize with anyone even someone who tries to harm me, because i know why their doing it..As i learn't about my mind, it helped me to learn about everybody else's mind.

Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Damn my Grammar-Nerd eyes......

Buddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited June 2014

shrug - not even 'I' get what you are saying and I really do try to understand other views @Daveadams - slow dawn yawn mauve too vast - you gotta meek dee meowments pass ... wtf I'm feeling groovy!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

That's great @Daveadams. Sounds interesting. Pema Chodron says she once had a sublime state and she went to her teacher Trungpa Rinpoche. His response was 'no big deal.'

@vastmind TNH is awesome - because, nothing is unveiled, subtly and with honour....! Thanks for the reminder! Hope it tickled you as it did me... but why would you post dharma words like that, unless something stirred with delight ;)

@Daveadams - chill................................, without the ill!

• anataman nothing i say will make sense to anyone who hasn't done the training, & words cannot express what happens whilst you train..Even though I've stated what happens nobody will see what I'm saying, unless they have already done the training..I've met 3 people on line & 1 in real life that are doing the training & when we speak about it trying to put in into words we can't, we do however know what each other is trying to say....So I'd like to ask you in your opinion why does Buddhism work, what in your opinion actually happens to our mind?.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yeah, but you know, you can stop banging on about it.
    After a while you get a bit tiresome...
    And frankly, those who really know, don't need to keep preaching it....

You really do come across as a bit 'holier-than-thou'....

KundoBuddhadragon
  • I will stop banging on about it federica because i know you don't know, & I'm wasting my time on here....I come across as how your mind see's me, & you've been constantly judging me since i came on here....The one's who actually know something will never stop banging on about it, i mean did the Buddha stop banging on about it?....Anyway i didn't think it would be possible to offend so many practicing Buddhists with words, so I'll bid you all a good day....I mean't no offence, & wish you all the best for the future.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Daveadams, this is just what happens when you say you have 'special' experiences. Talk to your teacher about your special experiences. Chances are he/she will point out that they are 'only' experiences and they are impermanent, not self, and suffering when made an object of ego.

VictoriousKundoBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Daveadams said:
    I will stop banging on about it federica because i know you don't know, & I'm wasting my time on here....

wasting time amongst the unappreciative . . . ah well . . . let us know where your banging on is well received . . . :buck: .

I come across as how your mind see's me, & you've been constantly judging me since i came on here....

You are interacted with according to your presentation. Just as you have judged others as ignorant . . .

The one's who actually know something will never stop banging on about it, i mean did the Buddha stop banging on about it?

Oh you might find their 'banging' is not within your current capacity to recognise . . .

....Anyway i didn't think it would be possible to offend so many practicing Buddhists with words, so I'll bid you all a good day....I mean't no offence, & wish you all the best for the future.

You would be surprised at how inoffensive you are . . .
    So soon you iz going? Fare thee well.
    :wave: .

KundoVictoriousBuddhadragon
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Daveadams said:
    I will stop banging on about it federica because i know you don't know, & I'm wasting my time on here....I come across as how your mind see's me, & you've been constantly judging me since i came on here....The one's who actually know something will never stop banging on about it, i mean did the Buddha stop banging on about it?....Anyway i didn't think it would be possible to offend so many practicing Buddhists with words, so I'll bid you all a good day....I mean't no offence, & wish you all the best for the future.

I do know what you are talking about. I think many of us do here. And zeal and being honest are good things.

When you truly start understanding Anatta, Anicca and Dukkha through direkt experience in every breath and fabrication in real life that changes your personality.

That is why you have difficulty understanding that some of your statements can be offensive to others since you have lost some of your ability to see how people value things. This happens to some not all. It happend to me. You will have to relearn it (to do it via rational deduction and not instinkt) and accept that you can only act like you do "normaly" in limited group. With people who understand that you do not mean harm. (Yea I know. I look a little holier-than-thou now (hey it rhimes!))

And you should take Jeffreys advice about your special experience to heart.

Wish you well @Daveadams.
    /Victor

lobster

@Daveadams said:
    I will stop banging on about it federica because i know you don't know, & I'm wasting my time on here....I come across as how your mind see's me, & you've been constantly judging me since i came on here....The one's who actually know something will never stop banging on about it, i mean did the Buddha stop banging on about it?....Anyway i didn't think it would be possible to offend so many practicing Buddhists with words, so I'll bid you all a good day....I mean't no offence, & wish you all the best for the future.

>

Well there's an emotional outburst if ever I heard one.

I actually said what I said to 'test the theory' of your not being affected by emotions, but frankly, that is as clear a demonstration as any that you are still very much subject to them as anyone else.

Take @Jeffrey's advice: Speak to a teacher and discuss your experiences with them.
    That will be productive for ou and channel your Mind in the favourable direction.

And take care of your mother.

KundoVictoriouslobsterBuddhadragon
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Well said @federica‌. I totally agree with you.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Being totally unaffected by/unattached to emotion comes way,way,way,way,way,way down the line from what you have experienced @Daveadams. I think.

Recap and see if there is no fabrication there that wants you to be unaffected by emotion? And see it truly and you will know. Now I am being as honest as you.

But what you have accomplished in a few 10 moths is monumental. It took me a lot longer . But still some do it in a week or so the suttas claim! :) .

So do be proud if you like for a bit but then let it go like federica says.

/Victor

lobsterJeffrey

See @Daveadams, you think we've all got it in for you, we're a bunch of judgemental individuals raining on everyone's parade.

But sometimes, Manifesting compassion, and 'trying to help', doesn't come with soft-focus, pink fluffy edges and whoo-whoo music...

Sometimes, Buddhists kick ass.
    And Practising Buddhists occasionally get it right.

Remember what I said about Kamma not always having a good effect, even if your Intention was pure?
    There it is.
    There you have it.
    Good intention - Crap result.

Absolutely, without any question, no shadow of a single doubt, your intentions in joining the forum have been completely benign, with an intention to 'spread the word' and show us something wonderful.

But the result has not been what you desired or expected.
    Why?

Intention and Method.
    Now, only you can truly know, with deep introspection, what your real intention was, but I suspect (and I think I'm right, because I for one recognise self ego-massaging when I see it; guilty of that, myself, times over!) part of it was because you felt good about yourself and were proud of your achievement. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself.
    (As long as it doesn't subconsciously elevate you above anyone else....)

method?
    Well.... least said the better, really...

What happened to you was extremely special.
    But what happened to you was nothing special.

If you can come to terms with that, digest the experience and consider its beneficial effects on you, then discuss your current position with a teacher, that would be of the greatest benefit to you.

And - with reference to your mother - her neutral state would be more pleasing and comforting if she demonstrated a serenity, a benign acceptance of things exactly as they are, and a contentment both tangible and invisible, that would touch and affect others around her, positively.
    Her 'neutral' state at the moment is anything but.
    She's emotionless and uncaring, has no enthusiasm or dedication to really being involved in anything.

That's depression. Not neutrality.

Take a step back, Dave.
    Re-assess.

And you know what? You really should stick around....

lobsteranataman
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

But sometimes, manifesting compassion, and 'trying to help', doesn't come with soft-focus, pink fluffy edges and whoo-whoo music...

o h h h h . . . do not sit on fluffy wabbits? Play a different who-who attunement? I gets it.

Jeffrey

Vastmindmmo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

^^^
    Insightful+Awesome+some lolololol

Gratitude.