Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting book about rebirth.

I came across this book recently. Do you agree with the arguments made in this book?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/dietolive.pdf

mmo

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2014

Greetings and welcome, @cook99‌
    Could you please expand a bit on your question?

What is the book about? What is its core message? What aspect of the book are you wishing to discuss? What is your primary opinion?

Your initial question is too vague and general for us to give a considered opinion, particularly as you seem to be assuming we have even read it.

Thanks.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Interesting, but I take it all with a grain of salt. Personally, I think that the Abhidhamma Pitaka is essentially a systematization of certain concepts and terms found throughout the Sutta Pitaka — with additional concepts and terms added in for logical consistency — that was possibly intended to act as a pedagogical tool, as well as an attempt to describe the ultimate nature of reality. Many scholars also agree that the Abhidhamma Pitaka was a later addition to the original teachings that gradual developed over several centuries. This is not only evident from the fact that the Abhidhamma utilizes words that are found nowhere else in the Canon, but also from the fact that each school had their own version (some even rejecting it altogether). As such, I don't think that the Abhidhamma Pitaka as we know it today was taught by the Buddha — although I do think that parts of it may have been — so I tend to take a more skeptical attitude of things that are primarily based upon Abhidhammic concepts.

sovaToraldris
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

OK, well, someone has obviously read it.... but I would still suggest a more broad opener and comments designed to engender discussion, rather than short, nondescript questions!

Thanks @Jason, that makes me look like a total bonehead! :lol: .

Buddhadragon
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2014

@federica said:
    OK, well, someone has obviously read it.... but I would still suggest a more broad opener and comments designed to engender discussion, rather than short, nondescript questions!

I only read part of it. And I agree, a more broad opener and comments designed to engender discussion, rather than short, nondescript questions is preferable.

@Jason, thanks for coming back....! ;) .

Your input is insightful, even if you only part-read it.
    Your scholarly knowledge-base is greater than mine, so I tend to take note of what you say.
    Besides, there are several lessons within the Abhidhamma that I find difficult to digest or even agree with... therein lies some controversy, and it leaves me uncomfortable. To the extent that some parts of it, i would discard and ignore completely.

I actually downloaded this book (The Truth About Rebirth) from Accesstoinsight today. It's slightly heavy going, but it speaks of the Buddha's teachings on rebirth and how it is a definite 'phenomenon, and how it is inextricably linked to kamma. I'm steadly ploughing my way through it; I may have to read parts of it again, and even the whole thing more than once to truly absorb its teaching.
    if anyone would 'care to join me' in reading it, feel free....

mmoanatamanEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    if anyone would 'care to join me' in reading it, feel free....

Maybe in my next life . . . ;) .

EarthninjaVictorious
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited June 2014

Based on the above comments- I feel compelled to read it. I'm in reading mode at the moment...

2 pages in and what fun - whatever your intention for posting it I will make no comment unless you declare your interest and motive for posting it @cook99‌ - I don't do my kids homework unless they do it with me peering over their shoulder, and I certainly won't do yours unless we engage in it together.

Jeffrey
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Looking at the document now, although I have not studied Abhidharma very much, I do enjoy the parts of chapter four which talk about the sheer potential of ones last thought(s) and reflection(s).

An Ex-hunter’s Death
    This story took place in Sri Lanka during the heyday of
    Theravada Buddhism, when there were reputedly many
    arahants still around. One such arahant was a Thera or
    senior monk. His father was a hunter who later
    renounced the world and joined the Sangha at a late
    age. Towards the end of his life, he became delirious.
    His face was contorted with fear as he tried to fend off
    an invisible foe.
    “What’s wrong, father?” the Venerable Thera asked.
    “A black dog! A fierce black dog is attacking me!” his
    father answered excitedly.
    The Venerable Thera knew that the unwholesome
    livelihood of his father had created this vision. Quickly
    he instructed his sàmaõeras [novices] to collect flowers
    and arrange them neatly at the base of the monastery’s
    pagoda. Then they transported the Venerable Thera’s
    father on his deathbed to the vicinity of the pagoda.
    “Look, father,” the Venerable Thera said, pointing
    to the flowers at the pagoda, “We have made an offering
    of flowers to the pagoda on your behalf. Rejoice, father.”
    His father opened his eyes and smiled in joyful
    appreciation. Then he closed his eyes again and was calm
    and peaceful as he breathed his last breath.
    This story holds a good lesson for all of us. If the Venerable
    Thera had not intervened, but had stood there passively watching
    his father dying a fearful death, the latter would have been reborn
    in a woeful state. But because of his timely and creative
    intervention, he gave his father a crucial opportunity to generate
    a wholesome mental state at the very last moment before his
    death—a wholesome mental state rooted in generosity (alobha)
    and accompanied by joy—that was potent enough to cause a good
    rebirth.

fun thing i just learned about the original language: lobha is attachment and alobha is generosity. =)

Will keep reading through the pdf and update ya..

mmo