Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Laughing.

I did not want to derail the discussion on Bu Dai, the Laughing Buddha, but as I read it the following came to mind;

" Since everything is an apparition

Perfect in being what it is.

Having nothing to do with good and bad..acceptance or rejection

You might as well burst out laughing ".

Longchenpa.

lobsterChazJeffreyHamsakaBuddhadragonSkeeterkbanataman

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@citta -- You were more thoughtful than I re. "derailing" the budai thread. So it goes.

Without disrespect, I would ask of those who nod their agreement with "you might as well burst out laughing" ... well, how many actually do what the "might as well" do?

lobsteranataman
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I do...quite often.

I also weep on occasion.

• CittaCitta Veteran

You are also making the assumption that anyone will ' nod their agreement ' I am not sure why you assume this.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

You are also making the assumption that anyone will ' nod their agreement ' I am not sure why you assume this.

@Citta -- Based on what I actually wrote, I am not sure why you assume this.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@genkaku said:
    citta -- You were more thoughtful than I re. "derailing" the budai thread. So it goes.

Without disrespect, I would ask of those who nod their agreement with "you might as well burst out laughing" ... well, how many actually do what the "might as well" do?

Having reread I realise that I don't actually understand it.

I am sure that the problem is mine.

• CittaCitta Veteran

But clearly the thread that I posted in order to not derail another thread is now well and truly derailed.

So bursting out laughing seems to be the obvious response. lol.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Citta said:
    I did not want to derail the discussion on Bu Dai, the Laughing Buddha, but as I read it the following came to mind;

Longchenpa.

Bump.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Sometimes things are just fine. Sometimes they aren't.
    But you laugh yourself out of the absurdity of it all because you know that the universe always manages to fall into place.
    "Smile, breathe and go slowly." Thich Nhat Hanh
    "We don't laugh because we're happy. We're happy because we laugh." William James

Shoshin
  • SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    Sometimes things are just fine. Sometimes they aren't.
    But you laugh yourself out of the absurdity of it all because you know that the universe always manages to fall into place.
    "Smile, breathe and go slowly." Thich Nhat Hanh
    "We don't laugh because we're happy. We're happy because we laugh." William James

Kia Ora @dharmamom,

It's funny how things do tend to fall into place, but one could say the universe is never really out of place, in the first place...And we are part and parcel of it...

The universe is not in a state of flux...it is a state of flux...

But who really gives a flux anyway .:D ..

Metta Shoshin :)

Buddhadragonownerof1000oddsocks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    It's funny how things do tend to fall into place, but one could say the universe is never really out of place, in the first place...And we are part and parcel of it...

Well, in moments when things don't go your way, it's hard to see that the universe is never really out of place.
    Nothing you can't fix with a smile, of course. .. :D ..

Shoshinownerof1000oddsocks
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Skeeterkb said:
    I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.

What an udderly ridiculous thought that brings to mind. lol

Skeeterkb
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Citta said:

Longchenpa.

Don't mention that on another well-known Buddhist website. They'll disagree with you and tell you that there is nothing in the suttas which recommends it.

They must suck lemons morning noon and night.... :rolleyes: .

CittakarastianatamanSkeeterkb