Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compulsive Thread Starter

Are you a CTS?

Do you spend so much time starting threads you don't have time to meditate, eat or even sleep?

If so, don't despair. There is hope. Try Poptart's Twelve Step Guide to Getting a Life.

Step 1: Take your hands off the keyboard.

There, that feels better already, doesn't it?

Practice this step several times a day and when you have mastered it we'll move on to Step 2: Switching off the computer.

EarthninjaBuddhadragonmmoanatamanlobsterWonderingSeekerNirvanaDandelionoverthecuckoosnestSkeeterkbKotishka

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

This is great! Oh wait ... In off to uh meditate

Cittaanataman
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Till last week, once dear husband and dear son were off in the morning, I began my day logging into the site or checking the e-mails. Then I had my shower, did my yoga routine and had my meditation session.
    After realizing how difficult Step 1 can get (there is always a reason not to take the hands off the keyboard), this week I have decided to reverse the process.
    And I find it works soo much better this way.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

Yes....that's kinda the point of a discussion forum.

No.

I'm not understanding telling someone to get a life. Do you mean get a life like yours?

What about non-thread starters? What kind of life do they have?

If no one started threads...what would we read? What is the right amount? Should it be evenly distributed? Have I reached my max for the month? .....

.. :scratch: ....

anatamanmmo
  • mmommo Veteran

Meditation is not the only Buddhist practice. In order to get the good understanding of Buddha teaching, we (fellow Buddhists) need to discuss and expand to the best of our ability. This could be the reason why this website has such an active community. In a way, I think it is really good thing. :)

anataman
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

One can, and should, bring practice everywhere with them. Including to the internet and thread-starting. So sure, one can still be practicing and be here starting threads. Practice is more than sitting on a cushion.

@dharmamom‌ yes, I have found the same thing to be true. I take care of what I need to do first, to set the stage for my day. It helps me to bring my practice into my life when my practice comes first in my daily routine. I do yoga, then meditation, then breakfast and shower. I turn on the computer, because I report daily weather online that has to be done between 7 and 9am. I check my email, and then I shut the computer off for a while in the morning. For me, I frequently found myself tied to the computer, so it's a freeing feeling to shut it off and walk away.

Buddhadragon
  • poptartpoptart Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Yes....that's kinda the point of a discussion forum.

No.

I'm not understanding telling someone to get a life. Do you mean get a life like yours?

What about non-thread starters? What kind of life do they have?

If no one started threads...what would we read? What is the right amount? Should it be evenly distributed? Have I reached my max for the month? .....

.. :scratch: ....

Such hostility. Shame you can't enjoy a joke.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hostile? Really? I disagree. ...That certainly wasn't my intention and I'll look closer at my future posts for tone.

I did realize it was a joke...I was just sharing some of my thoughts that came to mind when I read the approach of the joke. That's all. I did laugh.....these were just my thoughts after the laugh.

I can enjoy jokes....so....no shame necessary. As a person that does start threads often....Maybe I should have avoided your OP. It's all good....:) ...

poptart
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Not trying to be ironic here, poptart, but thanks for starting this thread!

Multiplicity Is so tiresome, but wisdom dictates that I not say more...

poptart
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

My name is Shoshin and I'm a Compulsive Threat Starter,,,There...I've said,,,And I feel so much better now that it's out in the open...

Metta Shoshin :)

poptartNirvana