Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gautama Buddha and 27 predecessors

2»

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

Thank you @vinlyn.

vinlyn
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Who cares?

Why does it matter?

How does knowing the quantity of Buddhas who did or did not exist before Gautama help current Practice, exactly?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited July 2014

It goes like this @Citta‌

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah!

Blahdity blahdity blah

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

It's haiku!

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@federica said:
    Who cares?

Why does it matter?

How does knowing the quantity of Buddhas who did or did not exist before Gautama help current Practice, exactly?

It probably matters more to some religious Buddhists than to secular Buddhists.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

It's a big thing with rebirth. People who believe in it want to be in a world with the dharma and a Buddha.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@vinlyn said: It probably matters more to some religious Buddhists than to secular Buddhists.

Right, ok, well... that takes care of the 'who'...

The 'why', and 'how it helps matters' is still up for response....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

(Big yawn)...and the conclusion is?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Well that depends on the premise, hiccup!

@federica said:
    The 'why', and 'how it helps matters' is still up for response....

I would say that it is natural for many Buddhists to want to know about the history and evolution of Buddhist thought.

@dharmamom said:
    (Big yawn)...and the conclusion is?

>

Whatever conclusion it is, will be pure speculation, which falls into the 'pointless' category....

@federica said:
    Whatever conclusion it is, will be pure speculation, which falls into the 'pointless' category....

Quite my point(-less)

• kaveekavee Explorer

Precisely on the 28 Buddha concept in Theravada Tradition, and to see if it fits with the new scientific findings. This is not to debunk nor to validate, but to open a discussion alongside.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Buddha had clairvoyance to see his predecessors of which in this Aeon there have been 4 so far Krakucchandra, Kanakamuni, Kashyapa ,Shakyamuni (aka the Buddha of the present) Maitreya (aka the Buddha of the future)

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=1002_buddhas_of_this_Fortunate_Aeon

• kaveekavee Explorer

@federica‌
    Sorry, I didn't know this is a CSI forum. Probably a wrong topic on wrong forum, my mistake in the first place... you may put this in pointless category.... apologies again...

What is CSI?

• kaveekavee Explorer

@vinlyn said:
    What is CSI?

Haven't you seen Crime Scene Investigation TV series, where everything starts from leads, to evidence and then to conclusions and solving the mystery.

Oh, okay. I wasn't making the connection, although the show had occurred to me.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I thought someone was planning murder as a result of forum disagreements hehe.

Buddhadragon

@Jeffrey said:
    I thought someone was planning murder as a result of forum disagreements hehe.

Is that allowed? If it is...

JeffreyBuddhadragon
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Its mildly discouraged @vinlyn.

vinlynBuddhadragon

Yes, we use the first few homicides as a cautionary tale... after that, you're allowed to beat the living daylights out of anyone you want, but that's as far as we let it go.

@kavee, your sarcasm is unwarranted.
    It's for you to determine what is papanca and pointless and what would truy validate your practice and enhance it.

Of course, if everyone did that, this forum would be a lot quieter, my job more boring and there would be far fewer attempted homicides to investigate... :rolleyes: . :D .

Look at your beginning post:

@kavee said:
    What’s your thoughts in the time-span between the first and the last Buddha’s as in ancient Buddhist scripts (Sutta Piṭaka >Khuddaka Nikāya>Buddhavamsa) ? There are new claims that early human consciousness dated back to 75,000 years in African plateau. Another shed of light is on Multiverse (not universe) idea. Or else, it simply scattered across the time and space which physicist yet to unravel? Or is it simply, there are better things to discuss than poking into the incomprehensible for average Joe? (That's nor sarcasm or joke. Ancient scripts says Buddha has stopped Mugalan Thero who lost his routes while trying to find and end of the universe, stating that is pointless)

>

Even you consider the possibility of the question to be idle banter and aimless speech.

It pays to listen to yourself more intently. ;) .

Buddhadragonlobsteranataman

How we missed you, @federica!!!!

lobsteranataman
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I think if we all woke up right now the term "multiple Buddhas" would be self conflicting.