Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Once Enlightened Did The Buddha Continue To Meditate ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora fellow Jhana Junkies,

And if so...Why would he bother ? What would be the point ?

Metta Shoshin :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes. Constantly.

1. For comfortable abiding here and now.

2. For contemplating who was ready to understand the Dhamma that day he surveyed the world using his psychic powers after arising from the attainment of great compassion.

3. To suppress illness if it arose.

4. To set a good example to others.

>

These are not my words. I am quoting a Buddhist Theravada monk from another website, where the exact same question was asked.

Earthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2014

Kia Ora,

Thanks for the info.........

Ongoing mindfulness "off the cushion" and fending off illnesses "on the cushion" are understandable, many experienced meditators already appreciate these benefits...

Number 2. Tends to take things to a different level (in more ways than one)

Number 4. Lead by example makes a lot of sense...

So it would seem that meditation is a form of ongoing maintenance after enlightenment as been realised....(Similar in some way to a Warrant of Fitness check)

I guess the Buddha really did practice what he preached....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Enlightenment is not a state you attain forever. It takes same-old practice to stay there.
    After you attain enlightenment, the chop of wood will still be waiting for you.
    The Buddha put a lot of emphasis on the practice of meditation, so if he was so insistent about us to practise, I can only surmise he kept meditating after his enlightenment.

Prima ballerinas go over the barre routine every single day of their lives even if they dance a perfect "Swan Lake" onstage. As a matter of fact, that seemingly effortless performance you see, belies all the hours of practice that go unseen.

The secret to any practice is in the consistent legwork we put in behind.
    The Buddha had spent many hous meditating before he attained enlightenment.
    Did not happen overnight. Every single minute led to that single moment.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora fellow Jhana Junkies,

Yes. He's recorded as meditating in the Heart Suttra.

And if so...Why would he bother ? What would be the point ?

Does meditation need a point?

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    Enlightenment is not a state you attain forever. It takes same-old practice to stay there.

Really?

What sort of Enlightenment is that.?

I've never heard any teaching that talks about having "crossed over" that someone crosses back though lack of practice. Having seen things as they are, how can you come to un-see them?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

^^^"The word 'shushogi' indicates 'the meaning of enlightened practice.' The title is significant because a theme running through the whole of Dogen's writings is the identity of practice and enlightenment. Again and again he teaches that one does not practise in order to reach enlightenment: practise is enlightenment and enlightenment is practice." (David Brazier, commenting on Japanese Zen Master Dogen's text 'Shushogi')

Shoshinzenguitar
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2014

@dharmamom said:
    ^^^"The word 'shushogi' indicates 'the meaning of enlightened practice.' The title is significant because a theme running through the whole of Dogen's writings is the identity of practice and enlightenment. Again and again he teaches that one does not practise in order to reach enlightenment: practise is enlightenment and enlightenment is practice." (David Brazier, commenting on Japanese Zen Master Dogen's text 'Shushogi')

Kia Ora @dharmamom,

"Don't practice to become enlightened- make enlightenment the expression of your practice! "

I guess these wise words of wisdom must be attributed to Dogen...

vinlyn
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

If the Buddha was fully enlightened then every conscious moment he was in meditation? At least insight meditation right?

As for tranquility meditation, why would he bother? Reality is where we should be according to his teachings.

I'm confused.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

If the Buddha was fully enlightened then every conscious moment he was in meditation?

No Buddhas here, just us chickens.

Every conscious moment he was in meditation. My teacher was like this, so never meditated or rather always did. Many practice this way . . . or keep trying to attend to experience this way. For some strange reason (probably ignorance or delusion) we need a teacher to express their inner state in a gross, obvious, unmistakeable, behaviour based manner . . .

Earthninja
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran

Before enlightenment, there is meditation. And there is life.
    After enlightenment, all life is meditation.

ShoshinDavidpoptartBuddhadragon
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@betaboy said:
    Before enlightenment, there is meditation. And there is life.
    After enlightenment, all life is meditation.

That was good.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Hey, once you have done it, you can't help yourself but observe!

But you were doing that anyway - right!

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

lol

• @AldrisTorvalds said:
    There's the practice of meditation, and then there's a "meditative mind" that is always aware of its arisings and passings. In one sense the answer, then, is yes.

“ Therefore, Ānanda, you should also bear (in mind) this wonderful and marvelous characteristic of the Tathāgata; He knows the arising of sensations of feeling, knows their presence, and knows when they have vanished; He knows the arising of sense perceptions, knows their presence, and knows when they have vanished; He knows the arising of thoughts, knows their presence, and knows when they have vanished.” –

MN.3.3.3 (123) (Acchariyābbhuta Sutta)

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Shoshin said:
    meditation is a form of ongoing maintenance after enlightenment as been realised....(Similar in some way to a Warrant of Fitness check)

Like! Helps me to see it as necessary maintenance prior to enlightenment too :cool:

Thanks @Shoshin