Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dreams

If I recall the Buddha stated that we should not give much importance to dreams and like anything else in life let them go without attachment? Well anyway I have had a dream 2 nights in a row now where I have died, the first some higher power gave me a date and I prepared with my mum for it, learning to accept it, and the second I was stabbed to death in Russia... how random.

Well I bring this up because it is odd that I have died twice in a row in my dreams, that rarely happens, and I haven't been subject to violent media either. Am I giving too much importance to these dreams or is there something to take away from them?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Third time's the charm! So no sleeping in the future for you, Tom!

But seriously, I don't pay much attention to dreams, except sometimes to enjoy them. But once I heeded a dream. I stayed overnight just outside Bryce Canyon in Utah, and dreamed that when I hiked down into the canyon, all was fine, but that hiking back out (and up) I had a heart attack. I canceled the hike the next day.

Your dream was situational in terms of how you died, so I guess I would avoid certain situations -- including multiple stabbing incidents that have taken place in southern Thailand to tourists over the past couple of weeks. But Russia??? Hmmm.

EarthninjaHamsaka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2014

Death is usually about transition. You might think about what you associate Russia with . . .

In Dervish dharma, dreaming is part of 'drifting' . . .
    http://www.techgnosis.com/chunkshow-single.php?chunk=chunkfrom-2005-06-15-1937-0.txt

person
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Hi @ThailandTom‌ !

My dreams are absolutely crazy. I don't take anything from them.

I would say 99.9% of the time they are just amusing workings of the subconscious. Much like our thoughts.

It's probably better to just let them come and let then go :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Mr Cushion wants to know:
    Did the Buddha dream himself into awakening?

:crazy: .

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

remember that we die pretty much in every moment, like the dead skin a snake sheds. Death can mean a lot of things but it doesn't have to mean a premonition. Usually people who have them, have them about a number of things throughout their lives, not just suddenly. So I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Perhaps you are going through changes you are aware or not aware of. Perhaps it's something you saw or thought during the day that you just don't remember. I've had dreams where they are just nuts and don't seem to mean anything, and I've had others where there was a definite symbolic meaning to things going on in my life at the time. I don't put any weight on my dreams as far as predicting my future. But I find them interesting to consider and sometimes they give me further insight into a problem and how much it is affecting me that I am in denial about.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2014

I agree with what @lobster said, death in our dreams usually refers to some type of transition in ones life. Your mother being in one may mean your nurturing side helping you overcome something. Can't say what Russia is about, figuring out what it means to you might shed some light, particularly in relation to any sudden change in your life.

• SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.

Joseph Campbell

Hamsaka
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:
    Mr Cushion wants to know:
    Did the Buddha dream himself into awakening?

:crazy: .

Kia Ora @lobster,

No...It was awakening who woke him up . :clap: ..

Metta Shoshin . :) ..