Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Panhandlers Dressed as Monks Confound New Yorkers

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited July 2014 in General Banter

from The NY Times, a couple days ago.....

In Times Square, amid the dozens of Elmos, Mickey Mouses and superheroes who work the crowds for loose bills, new costumed characters have come to seek their fortunes.

But merely begging in the streets is not against the law. The police have largely left these men alone, to the consternation of Buddhist leaders in New York’s Chinese neighborhoods, who portray them as nothing more than beggars who undermine Buddhists’ credibility.

“They are damaging the reputation of real monks and damaging the reputation of Buddhists in America,” said Shi Ruifa, a monk in Brooklyn who is president of a confederation of nearly 50 temples ....

In New York, the men have inspired a Fake Monks in New York City page on Facebook, documenting its subjects’ whereabouts, from Central Park to the city’s Chinese neighborhoods, where local monks have mostly driven them away. Last year, Mr. Shi confronted a man in orange robes in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, and quizzed him on the Five Precepts of Buddhism.

The man “didn’t know even one,” he said.

Here's the full article.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/nyregion/panhandlers-dressed-as-monks-confound-new-yorkers.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Panhandlers Dressed as Monks Confound New Yorkers
    has me ask????

Why do we donate to some costumes and pass by others?
    Is the donating or not, for them or for us?
    Is the panhandler who says they just wants money for food when it is really for an addictive habit any different than a fake monk or nun?

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2014

It's the way they're doing it.....that I think have people upset in the Temples. According to the article...they are reaching out and putting bracelets/amulets on people and if they don't get 'enough' money, they reach out and take the stuff off....9 have been arrested so far....anyway...so not the average giving situation....but as usual....you give thoughts to chew on.

Always glad to see you back! ... :) ....

• SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

So what if monks dressed like New Yorkers and begged for alms?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The problem we have here is one of transposing a culture, which views Monks begging for Alms as normal convention, onto a society where begging is associated with an undesirable aspect of city living.

You can have multi-national.
    You can't have multi-cultural.
    That way lies confusion.

In my opinion, the Monks' behaviour is equally questionable.

lobsteranataman
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

This would be a lesser problem if people knew that monks are not allowed to touch money at all. At least in the theravada tradition.

Hamsakalobster
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Victorious said:
    This would be a lesser problem if people knew that monks are not allowed to touch money at all. At least in the theravada tradition.

Dude, most non-Buddhists, wouldn't know the difference between a Theravedin monk and a fungo bat, and don't care, either.

For those who don't know what a fungo is..
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_bat

anataman

Then they will get fooled and suffer.

What can I say. Ignorance is after all the root of all suffering. That's what we've been saying all along.

:D .

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Victorious said:

Sort of.

@vinlyn said:
    Sort of.

Eer what you say?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited July 2014

In Thailand the taboo against monks handling some small amounts of money has faded somewhat. I've personally seen monks shopping for small things...even computer equipment.

Personally I think it's a better sign of not being attached to money to be able to carry some money, rather than not being able to carry it at all.

Yeah you are right not only faded in SL but more or less totally circumvented. But still dana is one thing and begging for money in the street is another thing...

And in the western world we could dictate what it should mean.

/Victor

edited July 2014

@Victorious said:
    Then they will get fooled and suffer.

No they'll carry on, not knowing the monk was false, blissfully aware that they've done a good thing, until some do-gooder comes along to set everything to rights.

They will suffer regardless. On and on. A beggar masquerading as a monk won't change that.

edited July 2014

I think that is what I said? ;) Ignorance is the root of all suffering... they will suffer regardless.

All states of mind lead to suffering, blissfull or no, as long as they are based on ignorance.

@Victorious said:

I think that is what I said? ;) Ignorance is the root of all suffering... they will suffer regardless.

I didn't get that, actually. I thought that what you were writing made their suffering dependent on being fooled by fake monks.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Cleverrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am unwillingly impressed with the polymorphous perversity of the human mind.

Victoriouslobsteranataman
    edited July 2014

@Chaz sorry it is ambiguous, was trying to be funny not clear in meaning.

Second line is not connected to first.

:D

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,
    They were doing the rounds in NZ (well it was just one Chinese mock monk) and a Buddhist friend gave $20..

I guess Dana is Dana....Even when giving the benefit of the doubt....

Metta Shoshin . :) ..