Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The path - to walk or run?

2»

Comments

• mindfulness is panoramic. We can drive while listening to music and thinking of something else entirely.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@Jeffrey‌, it depends on which form of consciousness you are talking about.

I think @Daveadams‌ is talking about our "spotlight" consciousness. When you are focused on one thing. Eg you can't write a book, whilst solving a maths equation whilst painting a picture with your feet all at the exact time. When you are mindful it's normally on one thing at a time.

@Jeffrey‌ you are talking about our "floodlight" consciousness. This allows you to drive, whilst listening to music, whilst growing your bones, whilst regulating our body temperature. This is the consciousness that can solve multiple variables at once. :) the one humans take for granted but the most intelligent part of us haha

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's Sunday... Can't we just go for a stroll, today....? :) .

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Haha

federicalobster
  • DaveadamsDaveadams Veteran
    edited August 2014

Doing one thing at a time was the second best thing i ever did, & you get more done & do a better job of everything..I've taken the one thing at a time rule quite far, & don't drive, eat, shower or work etc with music playing..I do listen to a lot of music, but I'm never doing anything else at the same time unless I'm dancing or singing along..Even ironing which is something i used to hate i now love doing, because anything done truly mindfully is very interesting to say the least & you know your practising..You start to notice all the things you never ever noticed, & trees & nature start to look spectacular & more defined..So although i know I'm aware I'm no where near enlightenment, but it does look like the present moment is being slowly revealed to me..So i reckon there's many different stages as to how aware i could possibly be, & at the moment I'm only at stage one..The third best thing i ever did was to bin my T.V, & then i never looked back..Obviously the first best thing i ever did was the training, & it answered a 1000 questions for me.

BunkslobsterJeffrey
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    Glass‌ great name! I actually have that book. :)

mettanando‌ Buddhism has so many traditions. Besides the fact the sutras are written in Pali and Sanskrit, People have their own definitions! All the translations are inadequate.

Words themselves are inadequate, so meditation which goes beyond mere words makes up the difference.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I now spend about 2/3rds of a day awake! But I don't sit on my arse for any of it any more.... Why? because the state of consciousness we take for GRANTED is the highest state of consciousness we can achieve (Jhanas - yeah yeah! go on waste more time if you need too!) - just take a moment to look at the world around you! Why on earth do you need to attain anything more than looking at raindrops splattered perfectly on a patio, foamy waves lapping on a sea-shore, little weeds growing up between the poorly grouted slabs of the garden drive; hearing a bird chatter away, feeling emotionally upset by the smell of dog shit on your freshly mowed lawn.

Ring Ring!

Ring Ring!

Ring Ring!

Ring Ring!

ANATAMAN CAN'T TAKE YOUR CALL AT THE MOMENT, I'm focussing too much on myself, please leave a message and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Hi this is Brad, my dad just died, I need a little support and advice

ANATAMAN wakes up, gets off that stupid cushion and calls Brad - 'sorry I didn't get to the phone in time - are you OK? do you want me to come around and help, it must be difficult for you and your wife right now, knowing how sick she is as well - what was the doc's prognosis. I'm not really doing anything at the moment, be there in 5'

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    mindfulness is panoramic. We can drive while listening to music and thinking of something else entirely.

That's why they are so many road accidents. :p

Earthninja