Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beyond confinement

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited September 2014 in Buddhism Today

We may sympathise with the deluded theist or wish for a wider interior life for the convinced atheist. Each may find value increasing a store of wisdom by being true to ideals. Is dharma open to a larger sphere of influences?

In a secular and post theistic society, organisation of transcendental experience moves into the field of science. So for example the knowledge of the future as displayed by meditators is open to analysis. Is it wanting, incomplete or wrong?

We may find the practices of ritual, meditation, physical systems such as yoga or Qi-Kung have benefits. Does this mean we have to become pseudo orientals, chant to our local lama or stand on our head? Sanity and rationality may provide some truthful insight. Science is sorting wheat from chaff. Are the Buddhists baking?

A spiritual path that enhances our existing qualities and enables and empowers our well being often requires independent efforts. Otherwise we may be confined to partial, bogus or incompetent systems. Sadly that may be the best that is available. Can we provide better? Certainty, order and method may be programmed into us. Is partial knowledge representative of the excesses of all confined thinking?

:wave: .

ChazJeffrey

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

Why would we assume that the convinced atheist doesn't have a rich inner life? I don't see how one has any relation to the other. Aren't most Buddhists atheists? Don't they have rich inner lives?

That point makes me wonder: what's so "spiritual" about being kind to people, enjoying quietude, and not harming, stealing, lying or using mind-altering substances? Why is that labeled a "spiritual path"? What's "spiritual" about it?

:scratch: .

vinlynBunkslobsterShoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

@lobster
    Geeze..

Who is a theist or atheist in meditation?
    Is ritual anything more than the sanctification of the mundane?
    Can a store of wisdom bound by ideals, really apply to the fluidity of existence?
    Could the Dharma become any wider than ceasing from evil, doing only good and purifying the heart/mind?

Can the questioner who bridges each nano moment with a constant identity really make use of those answers?

lobsterShoshin
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Dakini said:
    Why would we assume that the convinced atheist doesn't have a rich inner life? I don't see how one has any relation to the other. Aren't most Buddhists atheists? Don't they have rich inner lives?

I'm pretty convinced, and it doesn't really detract from my "spiritual" side. Gods just aren't necessary for everyone.

BuddhadragonlobsterShoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I'm pretty convinced, and it doesn't really detract from my "spiritual" side. Gods just aren't necessary for everyone.

The fact that I am an atheistic Buddhist invariably gives my Christian friends the impression that my spiritual life is somehow wanting, if not downright missing. Why should that be?

I lead a very spiritual life, despite the fact that the notion of a God does not fit into my scheme.

lobsterShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Dakini said:
    That point makes me wonder: what's so "spiritual" about being kind to people, enjoying quietude, and not harming, stealing, lying or using mind-altering substances? Why is that labeled a "spiritual path"? What's "spiritual" about it?
    :scratch: .

I'm not even sure what "spiritual" means.

lobster

@lobster said:
    We may find the practices of ritual, meditation, physical systems such as yoga or Qi-Kung have benefits. Does this mean we have to become pseudo orientals, chant to our local lama or stand on our head?

That's just replacing one set of cultural baggage with another.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2014

"This above all:
    To thine own Self be true;
    And it must follow, as the night the day
    Thou canst not then be false to any Man."

(Hamlet.)

Jeffrey

Which "Self" though?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's for you to discover and decide.
    I'm not here to do that for you.
    What do you think I am, you mother...? Jeesh! :rolleyes: .

... :lol: .

lobsterShoshin

So you think there is a "Self" to be true to?

• Thanks guys

Could the Dharma become any wider than ceasing from evil, doing only good and purifying the heart/mind?

Yes.

How?

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited September 2014

Dharma or Nature is always as it is - no widening, no shortening, no good, no evil - just empty phenomena rolling on.

Shoshin

@SpinyNorman said:
    So you think there is a "Self" to be true to?

>

Yes of course. We have to know what this 'self' is, in order to also realise and appreciate its evanescent non-existence.

First there is a mountain
    Then there is no mountain
    then there is....

There is a self.
    There is also a Not-Self.

It's 'getting it' which is the obstacle, not the existence/non-existence.

edited September 2014

@lobster said:

Yes.

Come orf it, guv, that's a bleedin' full-time job. I've got me work cut out trying to do all that....unless you're offering some over-time paymints? :p .

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    That's just replacing one set of cultural baggage with another.

Baggage comes in handy, especially when one is on a journey.

As long as it carries what you need.

edited September 2014

I think we're trying to get rid of baggage though, aren't we? It's like getting rid of one form of attachment only to take on another.

• This powerful quote, from Ramana Maharshi, helps me falling down again every time I’m trying to get back up on my feet.
    “Don’t believe a single thought.”

lobsterHamsakaupekka
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    I'm not even sure what "spiritual" means.

I had to look it up yesterday, after pondering the OP. Because suddenly it seemed like the OP (along with many of the rest of us, I imagine) was ascribing a meaning to it that wasn't there.

spir·it·u·al/ˈspiriCHo͞oəl/
    adjective
    of, relating to, or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
    of or relating to religion or religious belief.

By this definition, I don't think Buddhism fits the description of a "spiritual path". I guess it depends on whether you define Buddhism as religion (haha! Not this again!) and whether you see Buddhism as involving "belief". One thing we know for sure (?) is that the Buddha never taught about the soul or the human spirit.

@lobster said:
    Thanks guys

@SpinyNorman said:
    I think we're trying to get rid of baggage though, aren't we? It's like getting rid of one form of attachment only to take on another.

Well, regardless, you'll have a new attachment in every moment of every day for the rest of your lives until you achieve Buddhahood.

What you seem to be describing is a game of karmic wack-a-mole and a species of asceticism.

I don't remember the Buddha teaching anything about "baggage", do you? Inquiring minds .....

edited September 2014

@Chaz said:

What you seem to be describing is a game of karmic wack-a-mole and a species of asceticism.

Not at all. I'm just working on the basic principle of the second Noble Truth. Reducing clinging rather than adding to it, a gradual path.

vinlyn
    edited September 2014

@Dakini said:

Yes, unless we define "human spirit" in a broader sense. I don't like the word "spiritual" but I'm struggling to think of something better at the moment. Or we could just say "Boodist" :rolleyes: .

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited September 2014

I've recently conceded that, as much as they may overlap, "objective" and "subjective" are their own sides of the coin. If we acknowledge that Science is the best system and methodology for evaluating our objective reality, we're then left with an opening for something... some system, way of thought, method... of evaluating our subjective nature and experience. Maybe this is the actual concern of "Spirituality".

This is not to say objective/subjective are "non-overlapping magisteria", because they are hopelessly interdependent as we know. That's how some people view Science vs. Religion, but if we concede that any religion that attempts to explain both objective reality and our subjective nature is stepping into both areas... then it has to "match" our scientific understanding, and be provable to us all on a subjective level.

• Spiritual may not be exactly the right word. Buddhism might be about freedom, independent being or truth. I appreciate that does not entail or require ideas of spirit or soul.

• Does chanting make us pseudo orientals? Sounds sectarian rather than scientific.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, unless we define "human spirit" in a broader sense. I don't like the word "spiritual" but I'm struggling to think of something better at the moment. Or we could just say "Boodist" :rolleyes: .

Yeah .... spirit as a quality rather than a phenomena? Like "That's the spirit!" Or something like that?

• @SpinyNorman said:
    I'm just working on the basic principle of the second Noble Truth.

this is Dependent Origination

edited September 2014

@upekka said:

Yes, DO, but all those nidanas are a bit complicated so for me just contact-feeling-craving is plenty to work with.
    ;) .

edited September 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    Does chanting make us pseudo orientals? Sounds sectarian rather than scientific.

Chanting in the Queens English is probably OK. No foreign stuff though. ;) .