Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation, mindfullness ....then ?

Hiya

I'm new to Buddhism and I've been reading some introductionry material.

I get a bit puzzled when when I read about different types of meditation, contemplating and mindfulness etc..

I've been practicing mindfulness but I'm wondering if there is a next step where potentially I could meditate in a different way rather than mindfulness. Not that I'm in a hurry to do this I'm finding mindfulness hugely beneficial.

I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks in advance Ritchie.

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Well, it's one thing being mindful, and another applying effort toward penetrating all experiences as being "empty", like the stuff of dreams. The greater clarity you develop, the less power mind-stuff will have.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Meditation and mindfulness... then?
    More meditation and mindfulness.
    Enough homework for several lifetimes!

• Then?

There is a then?

Guys we have been lied to? :buck: .

and now back to the now . . .

BunksBuddhadragonmmo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2014

what is mindfulness? what is it? is it ordinary? what does it feel like? does it leave something needful outside of mindfulness to do?

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Mindfulness is the first factor of the 7 factors of enlightenment.

Jeffrey
  • There is no .... then?

Heedfulness is the Deathless path,
    heedlessness, the path to death.
    Those who are heedful do not die,
    heedless are like the dead.

Explanation: The path to the Deathless is the perpetual awareness of experience. The deathless does not imply a physical state where the body does not die. When an individual becomes totally aware of the process of experiencing, he is freed from the continuity of existence. Those who do not have that awareness are like the dead, even if they are physically alive.

http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_heed.htm

• @bookworm said:
    Mindfulness is the first factor of the 7 factors of enlightenment.

and

is the 7th factor in Noble Eightfold Path

but

first of all we have to get the 1st factor in Noble Eightfold Path which is Noble Right View

with Noble Right View only we can practice Noble Mindfulness

So

First is First

Try to get the Noble Right View

for that meditation, mindfulness and investigating the learned Buddha's Teaching (contemplating Dhamma) is necessary

bookwormBuddhadragonRArmstrong15283
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@RArmstrong15283 said:
    Hiya

I get a bit puzzled when when I read about different types of meditation, contemplating and mindfulness etc..

I've been practicing mindfulness but I'm wondering if there is a next step where potentially I could meditate in a different way rather than mindfulness. Not that I'm in a hurry to do this I'm finding mindfulness hugely beneficial.

It depends on what your goal is, but in general, I'd say that it's always good to practice mindfulness, even if you move on to other kinds of meditation. Mindfulness is something we should ideally try to cultivate all the time, not just on the cushion. As for the next step, there are two general routes you can take, although both are connected. One is to focus on developing states of meditative absorption and the other is to develop insight.

For some of the Buddha's teachings on meditation, I suggest checking out MN 118 (mindfulness of breathing), DN 22 (the four foundations of mindfulness), and MN 121 (the use of emptiness as a mode of perception in meditation). Also, this meditation guide might be helpful.

EarthninjaJeffreyRArmstrong15283
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@RArmstrong15283 said:
    Hiya

I practice mindfulness (general) as well as Samatha/Concentration.

It's focussing on one point only, for me it's the sensation of the breath around the entry to the nostrils.

This helps calm and sharpen your mind. Every time is a unique experience. This complements mindfulness.

I also practice Vipassana which us feeling sensations on your body.

You can practice listening meditation, also movement meditations.

Try them out, find what works for you. All forms are good. Just not everybody relates in the same way.

:)

Kind regards chris

RArmstrong15283
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi @RArmstrong15283‌ - not sure if you're familiar with the Lamrim (gradual path to enlightenment) in the Tibetan tradition but the link below has some great meditations to mix things up a bit. I too get a little bored in just focusing on the breath!

Enjoy.

http://thubtenchodron.org/2001/01/gradual-path-instructions/

RArmstrong15283
  • Thanks everyone for your help it's much appreciated.

I'll have a good look at the links which have been suggested.

Regards
    Ritchie