Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advice for a beginner Buddhist?

edited October 2014 in Buddhism Basics

Hello, I am Nikki, and I am a teenager who has recently become interested in buddhism, for I find it's teachings and values applicable to my life, and I would like enlightment.
I would like to start learning about Theravadan buddhism, but sadly have no teachers in my country, so I would like to start without guidance and in a few years travel to india and be mentored.
Any fellow buddhists can help a newbie out?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2014

For starters, I suggest reading the suttas, especially the Middle Length Discourses, and/or checking out Access to Insight.

bookworm
  • @Jason said:
    For starters, I suggest reading the suttas, especially the Middle Length Discourses and/or checking out Access to Insight.

What is a sutta?

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Sutta = discourse of the Buddha.

Prayingmantis
  • Try a meditation method and do 10 minutes of meditation every day. Doing it every day is better than doing it off and on.

Prayingmantis
  • Yes, before you even think about traveling to India to join a sangha or become a monk, start by doing some daily meditation (nothing too extreme) and explore some of the huge variety of practices and traditions to be found on the internet.

It's not a race. Start by making some improvements in your life as it is. If in a few years, you still want to find a sangha, then you'll know.

Prayingmantis
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Before reading anything else read the first discourse of the Buddha called Dhammacakkappavattana sutta.

Prayingmantis
  • @bookworm said:
    Before reading anything else read the first discourse of the Buddha called Dhammacakkappavattana sutta.

And no, I have no idea how to pronounce it, either, and spelling it is right out of the question. Buddhism is full of words like that.

Prayingmantis
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    And no, I have no idea how to pronounce it, either, and spelling it is right out of the question. Buddhism is full of words like that.

Sorry but I think you misunderstood me @Cinorjer, I was saying that reading the first discourse of the Buddha is the best place to begin to understanding the teachings of the Buddha.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.than.html

Prayingmantis
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, he knows. I think he was being humorous....

Prayingmantis
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited October 2014

@Prayingmantis said:
    Hello, I am Nikki, and I am a teenager who has recently become interested in buddhism, for I find it's teachings and values applicable to my life, and I would like enlightment.
    I would like to start learning about Theravadan buddhism, but sadly have no teachers in my country, so I would like to start without guidance and in a few years travel to india and be mentored.

I would recommend to get a copy of the Suttanipata. It is great.

Some of it can be found on Access to insight and on Google.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/

This one is in pdf and a good introduction to Theravada buddhism.
    http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/wordofbuddha.pdf

The home of Theravada is more Sri Lanka and Thailand btw.

bookwormShoshinPrayingmantis
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2014

@Prayingmantis, this link might be of some help...

Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu "Ask A Monk" series...

. :) ..

Prayingmantis
  • @Prayingmantis said:

Hello Nikki aka Prayingmantis,

I am almost a Buddhist so will do my best. I wish you every success:

I am assuming you have worked out how to use Google and Wikidpedia? People here will will answer beginner questions, such as overcoming enlightenment craving . . .
    Sorry to hear you are not in Internet country where lots of Theravadin teachers are on YouTube. Do you have libraries where you are? I have heard they sometimes have some pre-kindle technology called 'books'. ;)

You might get a grant for your Buddhist education when ready
    http://theofferingbowl.com/index.php/sign-up

Here are some texts if you are interested . . .
    http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp07.htm

:wave: .

ShoshinPrayingmantisJeffrey
  • @federica said:
    Yes, he knows. I think he was being humorous....

I was trying to be. Should of used one of those emoticons, I guess. You gotta admit, Buddhism is full of tongue-twisting names.

Prayingmantis
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(...should have.... )

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

@federica said:
    (...should have.... )

Don't worry dear, he's just a colonial. :p .

Prayingmantis
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Don't worry dear, he's just a colonial. :p .

Hee! My Appalachia upbringing sometimes crops up in the cracks.

PrayingmantisStraight_Man

Is that a euphemism....? :eek: . :D .

Prayingmantis
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

That was just...wrong. :facepalm: .

• Thank you all!

@Prayingmantis said:
    Thank you all!

>

No problem. We're a slightly weird bunch, but we mean well!! :D .

WonderingSeeker
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hi, @Prayingmantis: I find Walpola Rahula's "What the Buddha taught" and Thich Nhat Hahn's "The heart of the Buddha's teaching" are fantastic books to begin to learn about Buddhism.

We're not colonials, @SpinyNorman: more like empire-builder's leftovers.. :rolleyes: ..

Prayingmantis

^^.. :lol: . ^^

Prayingmantis
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Reading books and learning the basic teachings is a good start. Although, I would say that for me, doing actual daily sitting meditation practice has been more helpful than reading any number of books, by far!

lobsterPrayingmantis
  • mmommo Veteran

@Prayingmantis,

Which country are you from, if you don't mind me asking.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@Prayingmantis‌,

You may find this series of videos on meditation from Ajahn Jayasaro a Theravada monk from the Thai Forest tradition useful.

Prayingmantis
  • edited October 2014

@mmo said:
    Prayingmantis,

Which country are you from, if you don't mind me asking.

>

Puerto Rico.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited October 2014

I would be surprised to find out there were no Buddhist temples or sanghas in Puerto Rico. Perhaps no traditional Theravada sanghas?

My personal advice would be to explore what Buddhist sanghas/schools/temples there are in Puerto Rico. There are a lot of Americans in your country and you know how they are about exotic religions :D . In the end, the Theravadin path may not suit you in the long run. No one really knows this at the beginning -- it's like you have to expose yourself to many things in order to find out what resonates. Already you feel that Theravada resonates, that's excellent. There is much more, however, and what works best is individual, which is why there are many paths to the 'same place'.

ETA: I am primarily a Theravadin 'type' Buddhist, so I want to be clear that I don't put down Theravada :) . I just hope you'll take advantage of what is available, just to get into it and experience Buddhism, even if it is not a strictly Theravadin temple.

Victoriousmmo
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

Hi Nikki, The BPS Wheel series were written with beginners in mind and they are freely available from bps.lk/library_wheels.php. One I would particularly recommend is 206-7 Lay Buddhist Practice. When used alongside a good text on meditation and the basics of Buddhism, this document fills in all the other details about how to "be" a Buddhist. Of course it is only one way to be a Buddhist and most of it is totally unnecessary in practice but when you are just starting out without a teacher such things can help to build confidence enormously. What the Buddha Taught (by Walpola Rahula), Mindfulness in Plain English (by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana) and the BPS library should be enough to give you a really good start until you can find a teacher.

Hope that helps.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Buddhist centers in PR.

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.php?keyword=&search=Search&country_id=8&province_id=0

One not listed above: http://www.anumodana.org/ Looks like they are based in Thailand but have a center in PR also. http://www.anumodana.org/contacto-i.html