Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddhist Guide line ( Fundementals of Buddhism )

Im having a little difficulty trying to get this answered. From what little resources I have Im not having luck. Example of what Im looking for

Say you start with the four noble truths - eightfold path - from there where do you go? What is the core elements I need to learn? Like if it is a step by step program what are the next few steps so i can research them

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2014

@Oswulf said:
    Im having a little difficulty trying to get this answered. From what little resources I have Im not having luck. Example of what Im looking for

Say you start with the four noble truths - eightfold path - from there where do you go? What is the core elements I need to learn? Like if it is a step by step program what are the next few steps so i can research them....

>

You need to "Experience" and for this to happen you need to put into "practice" and the rest will fall into place.....

howHollyRose1KundoBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You do realise that the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path are lifelong study material?
    It's not a question of study alone. You have to implement them and make them an integral part of your life, daily.
    In fact, they ARE your life.
    You could also take a look at the 5 Precepts as many Buddhists incorporate those into their Taking Refuge...

bookwormvinlynBuddhadragon
  • I realize the Four Noble Truths an Noble Eightfold Path is the core. I come across terms like No Self, Non Duality, Karma, 5 Precepts and etc that is not mentioned in the core teachings. Im asking for a progressing pace or path.

lobster
  • Actually a very helpful person just helped me with a book suggestion. Here is a link to any other person that may come across this question an have a similar problem

http://static.squarespace.com/static/5037f52d84ae1e87f694cfda/t/5055915f84aedaeee9181119/1347785055665/

mmo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I would also suggest that you find a teacher and Sangha.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Are there any local Buddhist groups or centres you could visit? This site might be helpful: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2014

@Oswulf said:
    Say you start with the four noble truths - eightfold path - from there where do you go?

You go on to actually practice the 8 Fold path in your daily living. ALL of the rest is just an elaboration of that core. It's all included within that core :)

What is the core elements I need to learn? Like if it is a step by step program what are the next few steps so i can research them.

The core elements are the 8 fold path itself.

Right View, Right Intention, Right Action, Right Speech, Right Livelihood, Right Effort. Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration.

Learn what those 8 things are and learn how to practice them. Then you have a very solid foundation. Karma, precepts, non-self, it's all included in the above.

howBuddhadragon
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Oswulf said:
    I realize the Four Noble Truths an Noble Eightfold Path is the core. I come across terms like No Self, Non Duality, Karma, 5 Precepts and etc that is not mentioned in the core teachings. Im asking for a progressing pace or path.

I think you'll find them in there on closer inspection.

The only progressing pace is your own direct experience and understanding. I don't think it can be rushed as it is a way of life.

howlobster
  • Different schools emphasize 4NT and 8FP. It's not that in Mahayana they don't believe in those it is just that they aren't presented right away to 'study' them as in 'ok got that... what's next?'..

In the Mahayana you have attachment to this life. You work with that attachment by contemplating impermanence. When you realize impermanence you will not attach and you will be liberated from attachment to life. You also have attachment to pleasure. You contemplate the suffering of life to overcome attachment to pleasure. If you chase pleasure you will also have its opposite. Thus by knowing that pleasure brings pain we learn non-attachment to pleasure. We also have 'peace'. We might have a peaceful meditation but it can get to the point that we are addicted to peace! Even cleansing/pure states of mind can bring attachment to peace. That is overcome by venturing out of our peace to help beings. In effect we replace peace by love. An example is a parent having children. They could avoid children and have more peace.

All of those attachments: lifespan, pleasure, and peace cause suffering. They are the causes of suffering. The method of the mahayana deals with those three sufferings. The problem is that we just know those attachments as a numeric list, but do not know instructions (other than intuitive) to overcome those three attachments.

That is where the Mahayana says that there MUST be a method given to you. Usually this is a guru, though if you have no guru you can read or be independent (intuitive).

Again the Mahayana doesn't (usually in my experience) straight up teach the 8FP or 4NT. They teach the Lam Rim (gradual) and also the tantra teachings.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Oswulf said:
    Actually a very helpful person just helped me with a book suggestion. Here is a link to any other person that may come across this question an have a similar problem
    http://static.squarespace.com/static/5037f52d84ae1e87f694cfda/t/5055915f84aedaeee9181119/1347785055665/

I did not read this book, though I have skimmed through the list of contents.

Looks pretty comprehensive, but I'm not sure how reliable a source of Buddhist wisdom the author is.

Walpola Rahula's "What the Buddha taught" and Thih Nhat Hanh's "The Heart of the Buddha's teachings," are classic introductory reading.

And though some people talk about progress, it's a very fragile variable.
    When you think you've got it all down pat, any blow can send you back to square one before you even know what it was all about.

Shoshin