Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Buddhism only work for low-level suffering?

2»

Comments

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited November 2014

Here is how pain should be handled! And a pretty detailed description of how the skill is to be developed.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.028.than.html

Cheers.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, I've had periods of chronic pain and it's very difficult to see a way out of that, aside from just accepting it, or at least trying to.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited November 2014

@lobster said:Whether we murder another or ourselves depends on what kind of Joker or pseudo Buddhist we are.

If people are in pain, voluntary euthanasia may be inspiring and brave. Find the wise choice . . .

I have no respect or time for self inflicted wounding, when more skilful choices are possible. Life is hard enough without unskilful waste.

Others have inspired us through finding some value, meaning and resolution in dharma. It is the expression of calm that deepens in a wise rather than sham or superficial expression or vain bonfires . . .

. . . and now back to the calm . . .

It was politically and 'personally' strategic - his/their immolations.

Desperate means for desperate times...

He knew he would go down in history, so he took this action to make a very bold and poignant statement that would stay alive in the media......to get people to think and to feel about all of these horridly excruciating politically-created situations that in and of themselves, kill people. He was trained and was able and saw it as his duty, and the timing was right.....he knew it was his 'moment' and took it to the limit.

ps: the quote wasn't picking up all of the message, so I copied/pasted, so it didn't turn out the way I expected, fyi. :\

robotlobster