Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you read a text like 'Wheel of Sharp Weapons'?

I attended an excellent talk over the weekend at Jamyang Leeds, given by Geshe Wangmo on the mind training text 'Wheel of Sharp Weapons'.

My question is what is the best way to read such a text?

For example should it be over a lengthy period of times with lots of notes relating to each verse, or is it good to recite it from start to finish, or maybe meditate over a single verse at a time. There are quite a view verses so that could take most of the year.

I suppose the answer is to do it in whatever way is best for the student, but I wondered if anyone, with more experience that I, had any advice they could offer.

Btw, Geshe Wangmo was terrific. So friendly. So clear. So understandable. If you get the chance to attend any of her talks I can highly recommend it.

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2014

I think it's useful to get familiar with the whole text, so reciting the whole thing is useful. Then drilling down to the detail of particular verses. perhaps the ones you connect with at any one time. Check if there are alternative translations, and if there are alternative commentaries - the differences can be very revealing.
    Also come back to the text after a period of time and see how if it resonates in a different way.

Yorkshireman
  • Excellent advice SpinyNorman.

I will make sure to take in onboard, particularly 'reciting the whole thing' as I think my temptation would have been to have just plodded my way through it. Cheers.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2014

Traditionally, texts are often memorized or recited on the one hand, on the other hand when the meaning is taught and learned each stanza is gone over and its meaning explained in detail.

Normally one would find a teacher who himself has had a transmission of the text and learn from them so as not to misunderstand passages. I suspect that may be hard for you to do, I found a text with a commentary that explains the meaning on amazon. That might be a good way to learn about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Sharp-Weapons-Bureau-LTWA/dp/8185102082

Edit: Actually here is a free PDF version with commentary online

http://www.fpmt-ldc.org/pdf/gtz_bk_wos.pdf

Yorkshiremansova
  • @person‌ Geshe Wangmo did start going through the text, but only reached about a third of the way through during the two days. Although, I have to say, she did an amazing job of covering not just the passages themselves, but went into quite some depth about various related issues. It was a pleasure to listen to her words.

I have just downloaded the free PDF version you so kindly linked to above and can already see that this will be a massive help.

Your advice and kindness are much appreciated.

lobstersova
  • Actually here is a free PDF version with commentary online

http://www.fpmt-ldc.org/pdf/gtz_bk_wos.pdf

That should keep the Rasayana hordes happy for a while . . . many thanks. (*)

I caught the tail end of this teaching at Jamyang in London. Yep I only got the Lung without breathing in the teaching. Easy solution . . . had a brief look at the PDF and without commentary/key the initial text reads like alchemy - complete gibberish . . . as the chicken said to the Garuda egg . . .

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@lobster that is a very interesting way to put that, "getting the Lung without breathing in the teaching" like capturing oxygen in a jar instead of inhaling it? That's a cool aphorism.

Thanks for reminding ! :)

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Yorkshireman said:
    I attended an excellent talk over the weekend at Jamyang Leeds, given by Geshe Wangmo on the mind training text 'Wheel of Sharp Weapons'.

My question is what is the best way to read such a text?

Very very carfully, with thick glowes? Just kidding. I am not familiar withthis text but below is some general guideline to reading any text.

Read it mindfully with proper desire and intent.

Think about your expectation and what you hope to accomplish reading it. Set your heart at whatever goal/knowledge you will have learned at the end of the reading. Have that in the back of your head when reading.

Pick up the book read the cover, back and front. Again think about the intention of reading the book.

Open the table of content and read it intently.

Then flip through the book and stop at any place you like for as long as you like. Keep flipping for a while. No need to read everything, just what you want.

You should be through this session in 15 minutes tops with a pretty lofty but good enough understanding of how to proceed in reading the book.

Cheers!

• don'gowastinghtwhouremotions

• @Jeffrey said:
    don'gowastinghtwhouremotions lay all your love on me...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Is that an extract from the text, Jeffrey? B)

• @Victorious said:
    You should be through this session in 15 minutes tops with a pretty lofty but
    good enough understanding of how to proceed in reading the book.

Very good points, especially intention. It is only too easy to 'just' read, or to read because you feel you should do. I will work on developing the intent/motivation bit.

lobster
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Jeffrey said:

Whats up @Jeffrey‌ :smiley: ?

• @lobster said:
    I caught the tail end of this teaching at Jamyang in London. Yep I only got the
    Lung without breathing in the teaching.

Nicely put.