Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness conundrum

13»

Comments

• WanMinWanMin Veteran
    edited November 2014

About dogs being kicked, coincidentally, I heard recently a Chinese qigong teacher speaking about a person reciting amitofo and then kicking a dog as an example of someone training with the mouth but not with the heart.

DavidNele
  • The metaphor of kicking a dog seems to abound in Buddhist teachings.

"Intention is a major part of Karma. If you come home and accidentally trip over the dog and hurt the animal, this is not intended and has no effect. However, after a hectic day, you come home and kick the poor dog, then negative Karma is generated. All the combined intended actions add up to what you are now." Take from buddha101.com

This is why I would be aghast, not because of cultural attitudes varying towards animals. And if you are a Buddhist that believes in rebirth, could the dog not be your mother?

David
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

No, my mother the car. (Anyone old enough to remember that?)

Chaz
  • @how said:
    It reminds me of the story of Dogen leaving out one arm while sleeping for the mosquitoes feed upon.

That is kind, if a little old school . . ;)

Reminds me of the midges at Samye Ling in Scotland. They liked to bite. Practicing mindfulness whilst ignoring these critters (ahem fellow beings) was a test in feeling stoic compassion towards the pest insect community . . .

as @how and others mention, we can examine our reaction, be mindful or reactive.

Yep Guru midge . . . a small but biting teacher . . . :o

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@WanMin said:
    About dogs being kicked, coincidentally, I heard recently a Chinese qigong teacher speaking about a person reciting amitofo and then kicking a dog as an example of someone training with the mouth but not with the heart.

It is a cultural thing.
    Certain countries in Asia don't consider dogs as pets, and have very little respect for animal rights in general.
    I find it hard to reconcile how much wisdom these cultures have bequeathed to us, with the downright mistreatment of animals I have seen on the streets.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not to steer the discussion too far off topic, but dogs don't have it so good biblically either, and in the UK, some Muslim bus drivers and taxi drivers have attracted negative criticism by refusing passage to blind people with their guide dogs... dogs are considered to be filthy creatures. It's just about unheard of to see a muslim walking a dog in the UK. Never seen it, unless it's a yoof swagger-lout walking his pitbull... :rolleyes:

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Nele said:

This is why I would be aghast, not because of cultural attitudes varying towards animals. And if you are a Buddhist that believes in rebirth, could the dog not be your mother?

Yes, that's very true. Just like the bug that splattered on your windshield.....

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The difference there is intent.
  • @vinlyn said:
    No, my mother the car. (Anyone old enough to remember that?)

"...a 1928 Porter, that's my mother dear...she helps me through everything I do and I'm so glad she's here..."

Chaz
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

For those who think the "My Mother The Car" bit is off topic, actually the rather stupid sit com was about a guy's mother who was reincarnated as an antique auto.

Ah yes, television's golden age!

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Reminds me of: "Automation: A device which does everything you need, for you, while you just sit there and let it.
    When you were younger, this was called 'mother'. "

(How can a sentient being be reincarnated as a car....?! :wtf:

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Mindfullness requires profits

Cinorjer
  • @zenguitar said:
    A good Buddhist should perform every action with complete mindfulness. That means she can either a) walk or b) chew gum, but she should not walk and chew gum at the same time, because then her attention will be divided between the two actions.

Right?

If they were advanced practitioners, it would make sense to minimize mental and bodily actions to train the mind and develop Right Mindfulness. But if they are normal people it wouldn't make sense to deprive yourself of that freedom.

• Get rid of the gum. :p

ShoshinanatamanShim
  • @federica said:
    Not to steer the discussion too far off topic, but dogs don't have it so good biblically either, and in the UK, some Muslim bus drivers and taxi drivers have attracted negative criticism by refusing passage to blind people with their guide dogs... dogs are considered to be filthy creatures. It's just about unheard of to see a muslim walking a dog in the UK. Never seen it, unless it's a yoof swagger-lout walking his pitbull... :rolleyes:

Well, at least they enjoyed a great reputation among some Greek philosophers, namely the Cynics:

zenguitar